9 hours ago, Syenitic said:

Go for it @Rhys, you got the SJ experience under your belt!

...And yes this Major looks really great, love the colour, good job @Ben Mc

Looking at the vids of the Daniel Wong kit and leaning more towards getting one. As for changing the colour of the Mazzer, it would probably be easier to spray it with a rattle can I think. Hammerite do differnt colours and I need some for a cast iron fireplace mantelpiece anyway. Either that or it will be a trip to Halfords for a few tins (primer and top coat). Getting zero retention out of the Mazzer by blowing into the exit hole with a Rocket Blower. Only thing that's annoying (I've reinstated the innards of the doser so coffee doesn't fall out when I grind) is when I'm thwacking, it's hit and miss that I get it all in the portafilter... Shouldn't be a problem with the kit, and the chute has that hole in it to point a Rocket Blower which is a nice touch.

I need to take the Mazzer apart anyway as it needs a new capacitor. I'm sure that's the cure for stalling. If I put beans in before I start it, it jams. I'm sure @coffeechapwill know what I needs, and I think @urbanbumpkinhas changed the capacitor also?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

47 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Looking at the vids of the Daniel Wong kit and leaning more towards getting one. As for changing the colour of the Mazzer, it would probably be easier to spray it with a rattle can I think. Hammerite do differnt colours and I need some for a cast iron fireplace mantelpiece anyway. Either that or it will be a trip to Halfords for a few tins (primer and top coat). Getting zero retention out of the Mazzer by blowing into the exit hole with a Rocket Blower. Only thing that's annoying (I've reinstated the innards of the doser so coffee doesn't fall out when I grind) is when I'm thwacking, it's hit and miss that I get it all in the portafilter... Shouldn't be a problem with the kit, and the chute has that hole in it to point a Rocket Blower which is a nice touch.

I need to take the Mazzer apart anyway as it needs a new capacitor. I'm sure that's the cure for stalling. If I put beans in before I start it, it jams. I'm sure @coffeechapwill know what I needs, and I think @urbanbumpkinhas changed the capacitor also?

I have a spare dremelled fudge funnel and backing plate if you wanted the regular doserless mod. Also a turned wooden lid for the funnel. 

12 minutes ago, Ben Mc said:

I have a spare dremelled fudge funnel and backing plate if you wanted the regular doserless mod. Also a turned wooden lid for the funnel. 

Thanks for the offer, but I'm wanting to keep it as compact as possible. I did notice you're selling them on fleabay (saw them last night).

• Like 1

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

27 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm wanting to keep it as compact as possible. I did notice you're selling them on fleabay (saw them last night).

So far I can report that the Wong set up is very good but doesn’t completely solve the grind retention - as I said, yellow shows up everything! We are talking minuscule amounts in all reality but there was a consistent small accumulation right in the top right corner of the spout. Easily shifted, but worth knowing. Still happy to have spent the money. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ben Mc said:

So far I can report that the Wong set up is very good but doesn’t completely solve the grind retention - as I said, yellow shows up everything! We are talking minuscule amounts in all reality but there was a consistent small accumulation right in the top right corner of the spout. Easily shifted, but worth knowing. Still happy to have spent the money. 

Well, it's ordered.. :) 

I'm used to coffee mess everywhere tbh. At the moment the doser spills it all over the place when trying to fill my basket.

6 hours ago, Ben Mc said:

So far I can report that the Wong set up is very good but doesn’t completely solve the grind retention....

mine is so close as to say that if anyone could tell the difference in a blind-taste-test then i'd give them the whole grinder set up....my retention is so close to "what i get out is nearly almost what i put in"...so much so i'm over the moon with it, i'm glad i purchased it; money well spent.

6 hours ago, Ben Mc said:

...but there was a consistent small accumulation right in the top right corner of the spout. Easily shifted...

ahhh mine didn't do this at first but it is now doing the exact same thing; as i go mad with the Rocket blower (before, during and afterwards) this doesn't bother me and has become part of my workflow.

I will however e-mail Daniel and tell him about this "common theme".....his laser-cutter/other may need a slight adjustment or whatever to cure this "slight accumilation" in the top right corner of the spout.

• Like 1