IGNORED

Freedom of Speech

Message added by DavecUK,

This thread is no longer compliant with current rules on the forum....locked as part of a maintenance exercise.

1 minute ago, DaveWC said:

Personally, as a newcomer here, I'm glad for this thread. It allows me to quickly see who the various posters are and what their beliefs are. Free speech is great, but anonymity breeds outright contempt. If you're walking down the street and you see someone who looks stupid to you, normally you don't call them out & tell them your opinion of their appearance. At least you don't if you're not a dick. But why not? It's your right isn't it... free speech and all.

Threads like this are funny as people get all tribal over their opinions. I've seen references to "the left" many times and it makes me laugh... as if there is a some homogeneous group of voters who all think alike. What that kind of statement tells me is that anyone who feels differently from the poster gets lumped into one group, "the left" in this case, and denigrated for their difference of opinion. It's like having a difference of opinion isn't any fun unless you can call others out for their differences. For those that are in "the right", I'd like to know how much their support the failed experiment known as Donald Trump... an amazing specimen of right wing thinking.

In the end, nothing is gained from threads like, no opinions are changed, previous friendships can be affected and nothing positive comes from it. The only benefit is that those that like to argue have a chance to exercise that right.

I quite like Trump.

• Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Find another forum that fits your desire to express political and other views more frequently . It’s a coffee forum mate, I don’t come here for political discussion , people’s views on brexit , the le

I'll try and lay it out for you. As someone who is mixed race, I'm also married to a Chinese girl and my Kids are mixed race. My Mother is not English and my father was true blue English as they come.

I'd like to put a few broad points on the gist of this thread. 1. The key is having the original post in 'off topic'. I can't see why people are getting uppity about having a thread that doesn't

Posted Images

it's now to the point that all i can hear from the woke brigade is waaaaaaaaaaaa privilege, waaaaaaaaa muh feelings, waaaaaaa racists, waaaaaaaaa bigots, waaaaaaaa misogynists, waaaaaaa transphobes.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

In the end, nothing is gained from threads like, no opinions are changed, previous friendships can be affected and nothing positive comes from it. The only benefit is that those that like to argue have a chance to exercise that right

Maybe do a bit of research into the stats of democrat controlled states and see how that is working out for them?

3 minutes ago, craigsalisbury said:

Maybe do a bit of research into the stats of democrat controlled states and see how that is working out for them?

I have no idea what that means relative to the text of mine that you quoted. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

I am not so sure about that.

I feel this move towards being hyper woke (good grief) is because modern society (read the youth) have developed a distinct distaste for authority and seniority as they see that only as standing on a footing of power and its abuse, rather than sat on a foundation of authority and seniority born from knowledge, experience and wisdom.

I think what you've done there is essentially described modern day Marxism. The drive and motivation is largely political. 

There's lot of people out there looking for an excuse for their own failings, whatever that excuse may be (there are many).

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, craigsalisbury said:
18 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

In the end, nothing is gained from threads like, no opinions are changed, previous friendships can be affected and nothing positive comes from it. The only benefit is that those that like to argue have a chance to exercise that right

ah crap, wrong selection, i was referring to the Trump comment.

14 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

Personally, as a newcomer here, I'm glad for this thread. It allows me to quickly see who the various posters are and what their beliefs are. Free speech is great, but anonymity breeds outright contempt. If you're walking down the street and you see someone who looks stupid to you, normally you don't call them out & tell them your opinion of their appearance. At least you don't if you're not a dick. But why not? It's your right isn't it... free speech and all.

Threads like this are funny as people get all tribal over their opinions. I've seen references to "the left" many times and it makes me laugh... as if there is a some homogeneous group of voters who all think alike. What that kind of statement tells me is that anyone who feels differently from the poster gets lumped into one group, "the left" in this case, and denigrated for their difference of opinion. It's like having a difference of opinion isn't any fun unless you can call others out for their differences. For those that are in "the right", I'd like to know how much their support the failed experiment known as Donald Trump... an amazing specimen of right wing thinking.

In the end, nothing is gained from threads like this, no opinions are changed, previous friendships can be affected and nothing positive comes from it. The only benefit is that those that like to argue have a chance to exercise that right.

I mean this with all due respect and don't mean to come across condescending but if you lived in the UK I think you'd have a much better understanding of what is meant by this left/right thing in context to what people have posted on this thread. It's very much prevalent at the moment. I suspect they have very different meanings depending on where in the world you live. 

'The left' is not a description of voters. It's a description of a a political and social ideology. So by definition 'the left' is exactly as you described it, people that think alike or similarly, along that particular set of beliefs. 

I agree with your first paragraph. I have a rule to myself which is 'don't say anything online that you wouldn't say to that person's face'. 

I don't agree with your last paragraph. I'm open minded and like debate because very occasionally, someone argues their point well enough to change my mind. It's great when someone says something I haven't thought or hadn't considered on a particular point. Anyone that lets personal friendships be affected by debate is weak. We should all be able to have a grown up conversations without getting all pissy about it. This of course is the view of someone who doesn't mind debate and doesn't want to shut it down because I disagree with someone's opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Rapid said:

I mean this with all due respect and don't mean to come across condescending but if you lived in the UK I think you'd have a much better understanding of what is meant by this left/right thing in context to what people have posted on this thread. It's very much prevalent at the moment. I suspect they have very different meanings depending on where in the world you live. 

No doubt that's correct. But I also suspect that those that are "right" in the UK are finding it necessary to support those that are "right" in the US and many are plugging their noses in order to support Trump. 

14 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

Threads like this are funny as people get all tribal over their opinions. I've seen references to "the left" many times and it makes me laugh... as if there is a some homogeneous group of voters who all think alike.

Weak minds are always attracted to rhetorical arguments.

People with both left and right political leanings feel the need to conflate a bunch of ideas together into a nice convenient package that they can attack. It allows them to reject all ideas an arguments outright without consideration because disagreeing with one is to disagree with them all. In their tiny minds there are no people with right leaning political beliefs that also subscribe to ideas of the 'woke culture' which is obviously as wrong as the idea there are no racists or homophobes with left leaning political beliefs. One minute the Labour party are a bunch of anti-Semitic terrorist sympathisers, the next minute they're inseparable from the woke culture.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

No doubt that's correct. But I also suspect that those that are "right" in the UK are finding it necessary to support those that are "right" in the US and many are plugging their noses in order to support Trump. 

I think a lot of this is probably getting lost in translation of what our respective definitions of 'left' and 'right' are. I have a feeling what you're referring to as left and right are what I'd define as 'far left' and 'far right'. Although I realise we're dangerously close to debating semantics here, it's a key point to what we're talking about.

Here in the UK, the 'right' and 'far right' are two very different things. 'far right' are racist, KKK loving low life, scum (in my humble opinion). 'right' or 'centre right' (the latter I'd consider myself) are very different propositions. So people know that when people like me that are saying 'left' and 'right', we're probably talking about different things entirely. 

6 minutes ago, Rapid said:

Here in the UK, the 'right' and 'far right' are two very different things.  

That's what you want to believe. Whereas to you the left and far left are one and the same right?

The term Marxism gets bandied around a lot by people who have no idea what it even means. It's a buzzword, like snowflake, virtue-signalling, libtard, leftist, etc. Using these terms is a good indicator that someone is a fool, at best. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, DaveWC said:

in the US and many are plugging their noses in order to support Trump. 

I wonder why? After four years of Trumpism, the best the Democrats can come up with is sleepy Joe who thinks trying to get someone prosecuted under the Logan Act after unmasking him is proper and decent. 

• Like 2

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 17.29.11.png

11 minutes ago, grumble said:

The term Marxism gets bandied around a lot by people who have no idea what it even means. It's a buzzword, like snowflake, virtue-signalling, libtard, leftist, etc. Using these terms is a good indicator that someone is a fool, at best. 

Oh you mean like bigot, racist, transphobe, misogynist, fascist, homophobe and nazi?

Edited by craigsalisbury
  • Like 3

And which set of terms is the more prevalent in this thread? Despite apparently it only being the left that uses reductive terms to shut down debate. 

I'm breaking my rule again, I'm out. Enjoy. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, grumble said:

That's what you want to believe. Whereas to you the left and far left are one and the same right?

No, left and far left are two different things. 

Interestingly though, people on the left are usually those that feel the need to start with the insults, as you're demonstrated.

Also a perfect example of someone who believes that anyone with remotely right wing views is by default a far right, racist. This is how you're able to shut down debate for towards any views that aren't you're own. 

Edited by Rapid
  • Like 3

I find it somewhat ironic that a lot of posts on this thread (regardless of viewpoint) are along the lines of, 'X group always generalises about Y group'. 😹

• Like 3
1 hour ago, facboy said:

I find it somewhat ironic that a lot of posts on this thread (regardless of viewpoint) are along the lines of, 'X group always generalises about Y group'. 😹

Isn't that a generalisation you're making.... :)

I'm going to take offence on behalf of others... even though none was intended :)

P.S. Now I'm off to my "safe space"

Edited by DavecUK

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG