MrShades Gaggia Classic drip tray - 25mm low profile 3D printed

For a number of reasons I've been looking at drip trays recently..... and have designed a 25mm slimline drip tray that seems to work very nicely.  I have limited capacity to produce these, but if there seems to be interest in them then I'm happy to start selling them on my website (though it takes around 20hrs to print one, and I only have one 3D printer - so production is going to be limited / slow, especially as I use the printer for other things).

Anyway, I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this - and there's no way that I can sell them atg some of the crazy low prices that some were appearing on here at, but my plan is to provide the drip tray AND a new (longer, stainless steel) vent tube for probably £20-25 plus shipping.

I've thrown in a picture of one (draft print, so crap quality and with holes in it - and it's brown!) that I also produced that had thin 'sides' on it, to cover the stainless above the drip tray.  Which do people think they'd prefer????   (I had one alpha tester - OK, my neighbour - try both, and whilst he thought he'd prefer the one with sides, he actually preferred the look of the normal one without sides.  I think I agree, but eager to gauge interest either way).

These would be 3D printed in PLA+ - though I may also use PETG, but I think the PLA+ will provide a better finish and be as durable as is necessary given the application).

Anyway - any thoughts / interest / doubts / questions / suggestions?

(Obviously the stainless grate, and black plastic thing under it is shown just for reference - these wouldn't be supplied, you'd use your existing ones.  Fit of the grate is snug, so they don't move and hopefully limit any issues with vibration / rtattle).

157554105_slimdriptrays.thumb.jpg.99a9c5c221af8833217bc4407cb793d1.jpg

935e95d6a60d63427108c0cc9e2a0eeb.jpg

74bb802dc44d1efec62e7740adc7e4bf.jpg

b5a9ac2799ab0533124e5459acde5b25.jpg

fc85032119a7d9754a6184f97e7c202a.jpg

0caac492fede1fafd125fe5cdd42d20a.jpg

1fa24c3bc7af04579cc4e81283812005.jpg

e2d785bd392668cfcab71726658aeefe.jpg

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Maybe a silly question, but do people prefer plastic or steel drip trays (Gaggia I beieve has a steel slim version but it doesn't seem as popular). 

I believe I prefer the ones without the slides.

Edited by phario
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, phario said:

Maybe a silly question, but do people prefer plastic or steel drip trays (Gaggia I beieve has a steel slim version but it doesn't seem as popular). 

I believe I prefer the ones without the slides.

Gaggia UK have a thinner all steel one - yes - but I don't like the look of it or the price (£49) and it's certainly thinner than a normal one, but it's still almost 40mm high.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

Blimey - I'm going to have to get a 2nd printer at this rate...

I'm trying to print them night and day at the moment, to build up stock of a few (still single digits!) but will try and put some on the website in around a week (so not this weekend, but next weekend).  So don't be surprised if you check the website and find them listed, but "out of stock" (fill in a stock notification for them!) as I may get them on there initially and prior to being ready to ship.

3D designing a drip tray has proven quite interesting (as well as time and plastic consuming!).... it's amazing what you can do with a drip tray once you've taken many hours modelling a standard one.  🙂

I just wish I had the time to put all the ideas I have into production and onto the website!   One day Rodney....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrShades said:

so production is going to be limited / slow,

The good thing about 3D printing is you can outsource it, once you have the design final, to a printing service.  😺

I noticed on the bottom of my tray there are two raised notches which lock into two grooves on the case floor, not sure if they are needed but they are there.

I had been thinking about a 3D printed extension to raise the funnel up say 25mm (or one to sit on top of existing) and use that space for a PID mount.👍

Edited by Agentb
Just now, Agentb said:

The good thing about 3D printing is you can outsource it once you have the design final to a printing service.  😺

I noticed on the bottom of my tray there are two raised notches which lock into two grooves on the case floor, not sure if they are needed but they are there.

I had been thinking about a 3D printed extension to raise the funnel up say 25mm (or one to sit on top of existing) and use that space for a PID mount.👍

"The good thing about 3D printing is you can outsource it once you have the design final to a printing service. " - yes, but have you seen what is charged for outsourced 3D printing.  I'd have to put a nought on the price!

You don't want to put a PID there 😉

OK - throwing this out there..... any feedback welcome.   Full sized drip tray that fits over the top of a PID that is mounted in a black case (coming soon as an optional colour).

Designing it has been "interesting" - printing it is semi-impossible without significant supports at the moment, so still a work-in-progress, and with the significant amounts of plastic involved it's going to be more expensive and yet more time consuming to print.

I think it's a neat idea though.

PID drip tray.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrShades said:

You don't want to put a PID there

Erm yes i do - that's where is sits now 😺

7 minutes ago, MrShades said:

Full sized drip tray that fits over the top of a PID

That would look tidy but i'm thinking removing the water container might be a struggle and everything below the group head can be on occasions a wet and steamy place, so the cabling and case would have to be very water tight.😺

That would look tidy but i'm thinking removing the water container might be a struggle and everything below the group head can be on occasions a wet and steamy place, so the cabling and case would have to be very water tight.

Like I said, still a work in progress :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MrShades said:

OK - throwing this out there..... any feedback welcome.   Full sized drip tray that fits over the top of a PID that is mounted in a black case (coming soon as an optional colour).

Designing it has been "interesting" - printing it is semi-impossible without significant supports at the moment, so still a work-in-progress, and with the significant amounts of plastic involved it's going to be more expensive and yet more time consuming to print.

I think it's a neat idea though.

PID drip tray.jpg

I’m not super enthusiastic of that design. The hinged version that people have been doing on the top of their case seems good. I’ve seen a design where someone removed their funnel, 3D printed a new black plastic top with a hole for the PID. That looked very good and integrated. I think the problem on the bottom is that it just seems out of place...like someone that has purposely designed it to fit well but that the ergonomics are all wrong.

That’s just a gut reaction though based on an inaccurate picture!

Edited by phario
I’m not super enthusiastic of that design. The hinged version that people have been doing on the top of their case seems good. I’ve seen a design where someone removed their funnel, 3D printed a new black plastic top with a hole for the PID. That looked very good and integrated. I think the problem on the bottom is that it just seems out of place...like someone that has purposely designed it to fit well but that the ergonomics are all wrong.
That’s just a gut reaction though based on an inaccurate picture!

Yes, I know what you mean - but when I have black cases I may try it and see what it looks like.

I didn’t model the drip tray for the PID, it was just something I was messing around with and decided to see what it looked like.

I’ve had various ideas over the years about mounting PIDs in and around the funnel as well... some of them are modelled already (I’ve got something that I think is aligned with what Agentb mentioned too) and I might post some more ideas on a different thread. Too much going on at the moment though :-)

What I'd LOVE is a stainless steel bar drip tray lid. The current metal buckles and looks cheap! Might need a welder to tackle that one though...

You only have to check out the Decent thread to see how difficult it is to get one of those made well.

2 hours ago, MrShades said:

PID drip tray.jpg

I like it! If you could find a way of safely wiring it whilst sill retaining a removable functioning drip tray think that's a definite winner! 

I was considering dropping the brew SSR lower and fitting the pid just behind the pump cutting an aperture in the side but bottled it 😅20200626_232002.thumb.jpg.edb493194bb068b31af5ebdcd8685c86.jpg

I do try and make non-destructive mods... cutting holes in machines goes against my fundamental principles..... pressure gauge is about the only thing that really needs a hole cutting.

• Like 2