Fracino Piccino (needs attention) and Ascaso conical burr grinder for sale

Hey fellow coffee lovers

The short story is that I bought a Fracino Piccino c.ten years ago, and it has been the love of my life.  Two flat whites a day and - paired with a nice Ascaso grinder - it has long remained one of the best purchases we've ever made.  One morning a couple of months ago the water went luke warm from the group head, and I suspected the boiler element had packed up.  As I had been thinking of upgrading for a while, I went ahead and coughed up for a Lelit MaraX (which we also now love).

So I now have the Piccino sitting to one side looking very lonely!  Whilst the boiler element will need replacing, everything else is working fine - for anyone with the inclination and know-how, and who fancies a very solidly-built twin-boiler machine, this could be just the ticket. 

I reckon it has to be worth £50.  We are based in Gerrards Cross, so will need to be collection from here.  The Ascaso is also up for sale; conical-burr grinder, aluminium case, perfect working order - also £50

Please message me if you are interested in either machine.  

Thanks and warm regards to all, Bill Hester

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

• bill.hester changed the title to Fracino Piccino (needs attention) and Ascaso conical burr grinder for sale

I would certainly be interested at that price but a quick google and while I can find the part number for a Piccino boiler element (PIC161 if anyone's interested), I can't find it for sale anywhere... 

https://www.fracino.com/downloads/parts/Piccino 2010 - 2012.pdf

EDIT: Fracino sell them, £22.50 plus postage. 

@bill.hester how comfortable do you feel that the element is the issue? I've never taken an espresso machine apart before and it could be an interesting challenge but I'd rather not go down a rabbit hole of replacing a bunch of things trying to hunt down the exact problem. 

Edited by higbert

It's probably worth checking the Limit Stat on the brew boiler.....and pressing it in, you never know!

• Like 3

If my in-laws were still in GX, I'd have be extremely tempted to take both off your hands immediately.  As soon as things open up a bit more, I'll be coming down to Borehamwood for work, so could potentially collect at some stage - depending on keen you are to get rid of them quickly

I'm googling the Ascaso to see if it comes with a timer - seems it's optional extra.  Does this one have it please?

Thanks a lot

MaraX; Niche Zero; Aeropress
[Past: Delonghi Caffe Treviso; Delonghi EC702; Dualit EL60; Ascaso i-3 Mini]

Hi Bill, I'll take the Piccino off you at asking. I'm happy tinkering if thats not the issue.

I can collect it.

Obvs @higbert expressed interest first, but registering this here. 

Edited by NitJay
7 minutes ago, NitJay said:

Obvs @higbert expressed interest first, but registering this here. 

Nah, you take it @NitJay if you can collect. My next question was going to be whether it could be picked up by a courier or something anyway...!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the tinkering! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @higbert if Bill accepts my offer I'll gladly document my attempts to bring her back to life. 

Worst case scenario it will end up back on here for £25 :classic_laugh:

4 hours ago, DavecUK said:

It's probably worth checking the Limit Stat on the brew boiler.....and pressing it in, you never know!

Agree with this. I have a Fracino Cherub and thought the boiler element had gone but just needed a to press the limit stat in.

Hey guys - thanks so much for the interest!  Sounds like NitJay this one is coming in your direction :)  Incidentally, I did try disconnecting the limit stat and reconnecting (as that had gone about five years ago and I learned about that issue!  - replaced with a new part).  However this didn't make any improvement.  The water pump was working (also replaced a couple of years ago :) ) and the water was flowing - just coming out tepid.  Seemed to be consistent with boiler element.  Later I tried it again just to see (my wife urged me, she was DESPERATE for coffee!!!) and when I turned it on it tripped the RCD.  So that makes me doubly sure it's the boiler element (in my 50 years' experience that usually happens with irons and toasters and things with defunct heating elements).  

Nitjay - I will message you to sort out the details.  One question - are you taking the Ascaso and the Piccino?  I will say that having bought a new Eureka Mignon grinder along with the Lelit, the grind isn't appreciably better than the Ascaso.  It doesn't have a dose timer though (which I realise the Eureka does and is something I now appreciate). But the Ascaso does a fine job and I've had many years of wonderful coffee with it.  Has to be a bargain at £50 :)  LEt me know okay

Thanks all, have a lovely weekend x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,I’m new to espresso making.I have an old Gaggia Classic,circa 2000 (Not really used it much) but am currently using a krups grinder and not getting the quality of shots, unsurprisingly. As an obvious upgraded to my current grinder is the Ascaso good?Strange question I know but I don’t know anything about grinders.I don’t want to spend too much at the moment and saw your ad.

Can you post it?

Many thanks

13 hours ago, bill.hester said:

Hey guys - thanks so much for the interest!  Sounds like NitJay this one is coming in your direction :)  Incidentally, I did try disconnecting the limit stat and reconnecting (as that had gone about five years ago and I learned about that issue!  - replaced with a new part).  However this didn't make any improvement.  The water pump was working (also replaced a couple of years ago :) ) and the water was flowing - just coming out tepid.  Seemed to be consistent with boiler element.  Later I tried it again just to see (my wife urged me, she was DESPERATE for coffee!!!) and when I turned it on it tripped the RCD.  So that makes me doubly sure it's the boiler element (in my 50 years' experience that usually happens with irons and toasters and things with defunct heating elements).  

Nitjay - I will message you to sort out the details.  One question - are you taking the Ascaso and the Piccino?  I will say that having bought a new Eureka Mignon grinder along with the Lelit, the grind isn't appreciably better than the Ascaso.  It doesn't have a dose timer though (which I realise the Eureka does and is something I now appreciate). But the Ascaso does a fine job and I've had many years of wonderful coffee with it.  Has to be a bargain at £50 :)  LEt me know okay

Thanks all, have a lovely weekend x

@bill.hester not sure if you saw my question about the timer on the Ascaso above?

It actually doesn't really matter bother me either way, I was just wondering - and I should've been clearer with my wording.  I'll gladly take the Ascaso off your hands for the asking price - asuming you're happy to hang on to it until the next time I'm in Borehamwood (95% very likely to be within the next month)

Cheers

Edited by stockportman

MaraX; Niche Zero; Aeropress
[Past: Delonghi Caffe Treviso; Delonghi EC702; Dualit EL60; Ascaso i-3 Mini]

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo