Hairy_Hogg

Need some bike advice

I want a new bike, I have had my Halfords Carerra for a good few years now and the cost to get it serviced and new tyres are pretty much £110 and if I consider what I could get for it second hand that covers a £550 bike on a 4 year cycle to work scheme (£26/month post salary sacrifice and a £38 payment to HMRC in 4 years)

I tend to cycle about 8 to 10 miles every morning after a gym session or a run before work and this is mainly on the road with the odd farm track thrown in through the week with the odd longer ride at the weekend.

Caveat, I know bugger all about bikes although can change an inner tube.

After looking at some reviews online I think I want the Triban 520 Flatbar (£549) from Decathlon however would be interested in any thoughts from anyone who knows about this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr LSOL - July offering here -> Clicky <-

Nothing useful to add, but I will be keeping an eye out for myself. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

You may find that in the cold light of a bike shop, you don’t have many to choose from at the moment. Cycle sales have soared in the last couple of months. I’d always recommend a good LBS (local bike shop) in preference to Halfords or Decathlon, the attention that you will get in terms of meeting your needs would usually be better - but current shortage of stock may will be distorting the market.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

John

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

I have the Triban 500 with the drop handlebars and I really like it. When researching bikes I came to the conclusion that if you want a similarly specced bike from any of the other big brands, you'd have to pay significantly more, so I'd say they're great value. I've done almost 3k km on mine and apart from having to replace the rim tape on one of my wheels, it's worked brilliantly.

Maybe not get you much respect from more serious cyclists, but who cares really!

Also I've found the Decathlon staff to be a bit hit or miss, but YMMV 🤷‍♂️

Are these farm tracks tarmac? I don't think I'd want to go on loose, gravel surfaces with these bikes, as they have fairly thin, slick tyres.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozzyjohn said:

You may find that in the cold light of a bike shop, you don’t have many to choose from at the moment. Cycle sales have soared in the last couple of months. I’d always recommend a good LBS (local bike shop) in preference to Halfords or Decathlon, the attention that you will get in terms of meeting your needs would usually be better - but current shortage of stock may will be distorting the market.

Regards,

John

This is a really good point though, you will get much better, personal, customer service from a good LBS.

I’d give all of these a visit before you buy anything, at first you are looking for someone you trust to spend your hard earned cash (or salary sacrifice) with. The choice of actual bike comes at your second visit. 

https://threebestrated.co.uk/bicycle-shops-in-walsall

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

5 minutes ago, Ozzyjohn said:

I’d give all of these a visit before you buy anything, at first you are looking for someone you trust to spend your hard earned cash (or salary sacrifice) with. The choice of actual bike comes at your second visit. 

Regards,

John

Thanks @Ozzyjohn. I didn't mean to hijack HH's thread! 

BTW - Dave's Cycles has definitely closed. Both of the (now extinct) shops are about a ten minute walk (cycle?) from me.

• Like 2

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Can you hang on a few months?

People have gone crazy for bikes during lockdown.

I suspect shortly we will see the second hand market flooded with bikes that have seen very few miles indeed.

There will be some bargains to be had for sure.

• Like 5

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

If you can try and get hydraulic disc brakes if your budget allows. I ride road, gravel and MTB and for gravel and MTB wouldn’t want to be without them.

Sonder Caminos are always highly recommend for a decent entry level gravel/all road bike.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jason11 said:

Sonder Caminos are always highly recommend for a decent entry level gravel/all road bike.

Entry level?

In the same way that a Londinium is recommended as entry level I guess! :-)

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Entry level?

In the same way that a Londinium is recommended as entry level I guess! :-)

A decent road bike would cost more than my car and coffee setup combined

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Can you hang on a few months?

People have gone crazy for bikes during lockdown.

I suspect shortly we will see the second hand market flooded with bikes that have seen very few miles indeed.

There will be some bargains to be had for sure.

Yes, I can wait but second hand will not help me on a salary sacrifice/cycle to work scheme unfortunately.

Edited by Hairy_Hogg

9 hours ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Regards,

John

On the SE coast so that is a bit of a drag to get to :)

9 hours ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Regards,

John

I get that and we have a couple round here. I was just looking online at the moment and the Triban came with glowing reviews from a few of the cycling sites, I will ask at my LBS's thats for sure. Also, asking here incase some recommendations came out (such as the Sonder but at £900 upwards that may be too much of a stretch)

57 minutes ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

On the SE coast so that is a bit of a drag to get to :)

Yes, sorry about that @Hairy_Hogg - I’d cross read the location from @filthynines profile. In my defence it was late evening and I would have been on a diminishing caffeine profile 😱.

Good luck with your search 👍

Regards,

John

• Like 1

Do you have free choice of where to buy it from? Our cycle to work scheme is through a nominated supplier. I work for a large company, so smaller employers may be more flexible. For me it is borderline whether it is worth it. There is a similar saving available at certain times of the year on last year's model and the local shops offer interest free. 

I think ours are all funded over 12 months too, rather than 4 years, so a 1200 bike is 100 a month, then 38 as a one off after 4 years. 

Posted (edited)

I honestly don't think you could do better than one of these for the money: Decathlon's Triban RC120.... which is now out of stock Sorry!

There are some great bikes at your budget but as others have said, finding stock is the bigger issue at present.

Also, I'd never advise anyone buy a bike without a test ride first. We're all different shapes and sizes and even two people of the same height and weight will have differing reach, inside leg, torso length etc. etc. so one size doesn't fit all.

Edited by Skizz
  • Like 2

I'm 5"9 inside seem is 32 I think 😁

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

39 minutes ago, Marcros said:

Do you have free choice of where to buy it from? Our cycle to work scheme is through a nominated supplier. I work for a large company, so smaller employers may be more flexible. For me it is borderline whether it is worth it. There is a similar saving available at certain times of the year on last year's model and the local shops offer interest free. 

I think ours are all funded over 12 months too, rather than 4 years, so a 1200 bike is 100 a month, then 38 as a one off after 4 years. 

Large employer but free range off anywhere that accepts cycle scheme.

Yeah, funded over a year with the one off after 4

8 minutes ago, Jony said:

I'm 5"9 inside seem is 32 I think 😁

Kind of Stork like then? 😁

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Skizz said:

I honestly don't think you could do better than one of these for the money: Decathlon's Triban RC120.... which is now out of stock Sorry!

There are some great bikes at your budget but as others have said, finding stock is the bigger issue at present.

Also, I'd never advise anyone buy a bike without a test ride first. We're all different shapes and sizes and even two people of the same height and weight will have differing reach, inside leg, torso length etc. etc. so one size doesn't fit all.

They are out of stock as they are building to order, albeit a reduced amount per week. Agree re sizing and they have the previous model in stock to "try for size"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

Large employer but free range off anywhere that accepts cycle scheme.

Yeah, funded over a year with the one off after 4

That's a pretty good spread of retailers you've got then. Includes Decathlon, Evans and quite a few independents. From what you've said about the routes you ride then either an allroad/gravel/adventure style or a hybrid would probably work best. Do you have a preference for drop bars or flat?

If you're willing to tell us your height, inside leg and build then we can keep an eye out for suitable models and sizes for you. And don't forget your starsign, thats vital!

Edited by Skizz

6ft 1, 32in and cowhorns ;)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

6ft 1, 32in and cowhorns ;)

Livestock transporter it is then 😄  Will keep my eyes peeled and I'm sure others will too

15 hours ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

I want a new bike, I have had my Halfords Carerra for a good few years now and the cost to get it serviced and new tyres are pretty much £110 and if I consider what I could get for it second hand that covers a £550 bike on a 4 year cycle to work scheme (£26/month post salary sacrifice and a £38 payment to HMRC in 4 years)

I tend to cycle about 8 to 10 miles every morning after a gym session or a run before work and this is mainly on the road with the odd farm track thrown in through the week with the odd longer ride at the weekend.

Caveat, I know bugger all about bikes although can change an inner tube.

After looking at some reviews online I think I want the Triban 520 Flatbar (£549) from Decathlon however would be interested in any thoughts from anyone who knows about this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I actually own the 520 flatbar so may be able to comment if you would like. I think it has the Shimano 105 gearset and Shimano cranks etc. I've never had the ability to fault it if im honest apart from right now I'd like to get something more sporty and aggressive. The V-brakes are OK but I suspect the compound of the pads aren't the best so would be worthwhile changing them. Adding some clipless SP pedals such as the Shimano 520 clipless and buying some cleats is a definite.

The Flat-bar advertises itself as a hybrid however I'd say its definitely more road-biased, but saying that I have taken it a few miles down canal paths before and it seemed to hold its own. It comes standard with the Victoria Randeunner (I think that's how it's spelt) tyres, which are known to be good, however I think you can put 26's on the standard wheels.

The carbon forks seem well made and the frame is also well made. 

All in all i think it's actually a lot of bang for your buck, however would definitly advise a) looking out for them second-hand and b) consider if you really want a flat bar, and if you do, consider if you'd actually more prefer a gravel bike than the 520 which is a heavily road-biased hybrid.

• Like 1