Jump to content

Gaggia Classic 2013 refurb


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Michael87 said:

I'd be interested to know how you route the pressure gauge wire. I'm convinced mine is the root cause of my loud pump noise but can't figure out what it's clanging against

There's a picture of my routing of the pressure gauge wire on the thread, "Refurbishing 2001 Classic," on this forum at post #18.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thread was started to gain best information for refurbishing a Gaggia Classic. The hope was to give newcomers a starting point if they wished to refurbish a Classic and for discussions of bes

Hi Everyone, I just made a topic to discuss what we know, what we don't, what we think - and what experiences we had so far - on the pressure gauges. Peter  

100% @ratty I have read every single post on this thread and as a newcomer performing my very first refurb I must say it is incredibly useful and I cant say how much appreciate that you are taking the

Posted Images

First coffee out yesterday.

Needs tightening slightly on the grind, (beans are at end of useful life too!)

Hopefully oil filled gauge will come today and I can finish off the refurb.

 

41.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ratty Sort of a separate question, but in some of your other threads, you note the preference of the polished steel Gaggia Classics vs. the brushed steel. I think you expressed a preference for the polished version (which seems more rare). Any thoughts at this point? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phario said:

@ratty Sort of a separate question, but in some of your other threads, you note the preference of the polished steel Gaggia Classics vs. the brushed steel. I think you expressed a preference for the polished version (which seems more rare). Any thoughts at this point? 

Mainly I prefer the brushed finish but on one occasion I chose a polished version as the finish was particularly good.

The one negative on the version I'm modding at the moment is there are some light scratches on the front panel.

Whether the original owner thought they would give it a good clean before selling it (to me!) I don't know, but they used an abrasive that has left some light scratches. They are not deep and should be able to be removed using tricks of the trade, found on YouTube videos.

It is outside my remit though, up to the new owner to tackle if they feel necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same happened with my chrome version.....terrible scratch marks where someone has attempted to clean it poorly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Postman has been and no oil filled gauge!

I shouldn't be surprised, had this a few times with the shock wave shop.

Items usually turn up towards the last day of intended delivery notifications, which in this instance was between Thursday to Monday.

Hopefully it's going to arrive Monday!

Pretty poor really for a 'professional' outfit without premises, working through the postal system. I ordered it on Monday June 22nd, so if it comes this Monday 29th, it will have taken 7 days, to travel 15 miles, from Leamington Spa to Bedworth!

Edited by ratty
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask about the void space in the gauge tubing?

 

How are you managing that? Are you leaving it open or are you using a diaphragm seal?

 

If open, would you not be concerned about the static/stagnant dead space being in contact with the flow?

 

I see these mods with the gauge low.

Personally, I would thing they would be better high, above the tee-in so that you at least get a free drain back. 

Or is void space not an issue?

Also, what about air lock and gascompression in the tubing? Does this cause needle bounce and jitter?

 

Interesting mod. One of the better ones I've seen :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying out the oil filled gauge to see how much it cuts down on the needle vibration.

To be honest its never been a major concern for me but if it helps damping down, I will use oil filled from now on.

Whether air pockets and positioning are a factor in vibration I do not know, and will leave that to others if they wish to experiment in that field. 

I'm quite willing to follow proven theory, after peer reviewed results confirmations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Postman's been and still no gauge!

I've emailed the seller and got this generic reply, it seems it hasn't been updated for a while.

Thank you for your message and we are sorry you have not received your order yet.
We are receiving an unprecedented number of enquiries each day about the whereabouts of packages and want to reassure you that we are posting every day, except Saturdays when the post office is closed.
The postal volumes are very high at the moment and Royal Mail is contending with severe staff shortages in many parts of the sorting and distribution network. It has been reported that they are currently working to clear the backlog of second class post.
Some customers have reported to us that items are having taken around 14 days to be received (UK second class service). We have no information about the delay on international services, but delivery times are expected to be significantly extended.
Please be patient, all items have been posted, and are on their way to you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I've seen no change in Royal Mail near my parts, but have seen delays with Hermes. The RM has been really excellent. 

Edited by phario
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ratty said:

Postman's been and still no gauge!

I've emailed the seller and got this generic reply, it seems it hasn't been updated for a while.

Thank you for your message and we are sorry you have not received your order yet.
We are receiving an unprecedented number of enquiries each day about the whereabouts of packages and want to reassure you that we are posting every day, except Saturdays when the post office is closed.
The postal volumes are very high at the moment and Royal Mail is contending with severe staff shortages in many parts of the sorting and distribution network. It has been reported that they are currently working to clear the backlog of second class post.
Some customers have reported to us that items are having taken around 14 days to be received (UK second class service). We have no information about the delay on international services, but delivery times are expected to be significantly extended.
Please be patient, all items have been posted, and are on their way to you.

 

You can’t help but think some retailers are taking advantage of the current situation. I’m in the Black Country, some parcels are taking 1 day to arrive whilst others seven. 14 days seems a stretch too far

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dougieboy said:

You can’t help but think some retailers are taking advantage of the current situation. I’m in the Black Country, some parcels are taking 1 day to arrive whilst others seven. 14 days seems a stretch too far

Agree, two or three items I sent for elsewhere after the gauge order, have arrived already.

I have had this happen from this seller before, in fact I mentioned it in a previous post in this thread, just as I put the order in. The previous times it happened. were pre-lockdown!

He seems to have a monopoly on quite a few coffee items.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ratty said:

Agree, two or three items I sent for elsewhere after the gauge order, have arrived already.

I have had this happen from this seller before, in fact I mentioned it in a previous post in this thread, just as I put the order in. The previous times it happened. were pre-lockdown!

He seems to have a monopoly on quite a few coffee items.

The problem we have when purchasing from EBay, is that the whole feedback system is corrupt. If you leave Negative feedback, they come along and remove it. 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dougieboy said:

You can’t help but think some retailers are taking advantage of the current situation. I’m in the Black Country, some parcels are taking 1 day to arrive whilst others seven. 14 days seems a stretch too far

man do not get me started.  below tldr; someone taking the p*ss.

i had one (3rd party on amazon) which to be fair did list a potentially long delivery time (3 weeks) which everybody was doing at the time.  nonetheless they marked it as dispatched the very next day, via regular RM, who have been pretty much as normal for me.

a week later, as even with delays i'd have expected it to make the journey from Dorset to London within that time, i asked them whether they had generally been experiencing delays with RM.  reply, 'oh sorry, this will be sent out tomorrow'.  'why did you mark it dispatched then?'  no reply.  a week later i had to get Amazon to chase them to get them to respond, 'oh, there was a delay, if we can't track it down we'll ship another one in 24h'.  another 3 days and still no response, i told them to refund it, which they grudgingly did.

Then got the item from Argos, which i picked up from the local Sainsbury the next day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, facboy said:

man do not get me started.  below tldr; someone taking the p*ss.

i had one (3rd party on amazon) which to be fair did list a potentially long delivery time (3 weeks) which everybody was doing at the time.  nonetheless they marked it as dispatched the very next day, via regular RM, who have been pretty much as normal for me.

a week later, as even with delays i'd have expected it to make the journey from Dorset to London within that time, i asked them whether they had generally been experiencing delays with RM.  reply, 'oh sorry, this will be sent out tomorrow'.  'why did you mark it dispatched then?'  no reply.  a week later i had to get Amazon to chase them to get them to respond, 'oh, there was a delay, if we can't track it down we'll ship another one in 24h'.  another 3 days and still no response, i told them to refund it, which they grudgingly did.

Then got the item from Argos, which i picked up from the local Sainsbury the next day.

I can certainly relate to that. They want your Money, even if they don’t have the stick. That was called theft when I was being raised 😂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news friends,

Gauge finally arrived yesterday afternoon.

I will be fitting and posting pics etc, later today.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ratty said:

Good news friends,

Gauge finally arrived yesterday afternoon.

I will be fitting and posting pics etc, later today.

And at last we can have a basis of comparison for this issue of glycerine filled vs. not-glycerine filled! (I'm not being sarcastic).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, phario said:

And at last we can have a basis of comparison for this issue of glycerine filled vs. not-glycerine filled! (I'm not being sarcastic).

Just to add to this... fitted my non-glycerine gauge and voltage controller to my Classic last week and have zero bounce/vibration.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, islandlad said:

Just to add to this... fitted my non-glycerine gauge and voltage controller to my Classic last week and have zero bounce/vibration.

Be great to see a video of yours in action. Also the gauge connection and routing inside the Classic. I must be missing a trick!

I will be posting one of the oil filled one later today, when it's set up and running.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bog standard connection/routing. Capillary nut just about kisses the boiler even with the panel hole cut out to the extreme right. Will probably file it down once the workshop reopens. Will get a video up next shot.

 

 

IMG_6032.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, islandlad said:

Bog standard connection/routing. Capillary nut just about kisses the boiler even with the panel hole cut out to the extreme right. Will probably file it down once the workshop reopens. Will get a video up next shot.

 

 

 

Only difference I can see is you're mounting the gauge on the right hand side instead of the normal left hand side.

A bit of a tight squeeze fitting it above the lettering on the front panel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ratty said:

Only difference I can see is you're mounting the gauge on the right hand side instead of the normal left hand side.

A bit of a tight squeeze fitting it above the lettering on the front panel?

Mine's the gold version 🤩 so badge is on the left. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ratty said:

Only difference I can see is you're mounting the gauge on the right hand side instead of the normal left hand side.

I wonder how much 'kissing' the bolt of the boiler also helps. Maybe it doesn't. How much of the vibration is being caused by uneven flow and how much by vibrations in the overall machine? 

This is why I find the issue a bit weird to diagnose. Everyone has different definitions of 'rock steady', and few people I think have fitted multiple ones. It makes sense for you to just fit this one as you have done all the others. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for short video.

I made a longer one with a shot but too big a file and had to find a converter etc. Got pissed off, so just this short one for now!

Slight vibration but less than with no oil in the gauge.

Beer o' clock now, as someone mentioned. 🤣

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, islandlad said:

Bog standard connection/routing. Capillary nut just about kisses the boiler even with the panel hole cut out to the extreme right. Will probably file it down once the workshop reopens. Will get a video up next shot.

 

 

IMG_6032.jpg

 

Can i suggest that you at least point your tee UP, (self draining)not down?

Least then you don't have too much dead space for stagnant water to sit.

A diaphragm seal on it wouldn't do any arm either,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     


×
×
  • Create New...