Jamie.oc

I'm torn on budget espresso grinders... Rok gc grinder?

Hi all!

I've got about £150 to play with for a budget espresso grinder (most likely second hand). 

I'm liking the look of the Rok gc grinder and not too fussed about having to hand grind :) 

Although i'm wondering if there are any other options worth considering at this sort of price.(I will only be using this grinder for espresso).

I also toyed with the idea of picking up a well used mazzer doser grinder and converting it to a single dosing grinder. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Jamie :) 

There’s an Iberital MC2 in the for sale section well under your budget and they’re supposed to be pretty good for espresso grinding.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

MKII mignon should be around that price. I've sold Varios for that before though many ask for more. 

Edited by catpuccino
  • Like 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Posted (edited)

Cheers guys. 

@Jason11 I'll have a look, cheers! Seen a few for sale on various pages, i'll investigate!

@catpuccino I'll keep my eyes peeled for a mignon, they seem decent for the money! 10/10 on the looks department as well ;) 

Edited by Jamie.oc

100% push the budget and get the 1zpresso jx pro

But for an extra £40 on that theres the eurka migno manual

1 do you travel? 2 sometime in the future V60, 3. My choice is a Hand grinder

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

@Cuprajake Yeah I do like the look of the jx pro, although a mignon is very tempting if I can pick one up 2nd hand for less than £200 :)  

@Jony Its main purpose will be espresso so at home mainly, but if it can cope with filter than will be a bonus! I've got a cheap amazon hand grinder at the mo which I use for V60, Chemex and aeropress fairly successfully. 

Posted (edited)

Well Just buy a Hand grinder, I have my Feld 2 stonking grinder next up the ladder will be Kinu M47 which I will have in the next month or so.

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Sounds like a good option to be fair! Think that maybe the route to go down if a mignon or similar doesn't pop up. :) 

Posted (edited)

Also look at Made By Knock's 'Feld 47 Travel'. Excellent grind quality and consistency, same Italmill burr-set as the Kinus and often on sale for <£150. You need to keep an eye on their site and Instagram acct as they only make a few at a time, and don't expect much (if anything) by way of customer communications.

Edited by Skizz

@Skizz Oo okay, i'll keep an eye out! I think even if i don't get a hand grinder this time round I will definitely pick on up in the foreseeable future. You seem to get a lot of value for money. :) 

There's someone saying the Jx is better than the Mignon on another thread. Not really sure myself but wouldn't be surprised. I think I'd have regarded my Lido E as an upgrade on the Mignon if I were making the switch directly to it. Give the JX a go.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

I am in the process of making some videos comparing various Mignon models (it is a super common question so I thought this might help).

I will have an open box Specialita, Silenzio and Manuale to part with at the end of this week that I will be offering with a discount if you can stretch your budget a touch.

David

• Like 2

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

@BlackCatCoffee Oo I may be interested, how much would you be looking for? 

It also depends on if I nab a grinder later, got my eye on a rancilio md50 but depends on how much the price rises 😊

There's someone saying the Jx is better than the Mignon on another thread. Not really sure myself but wouldn't be surprised. I think I'd have regarded my Lido E as an upgrade on the Mignon if I were making the switch directly to it. Give the JX a go.
That was probably me. I have a mk2 Mignon and for the dark roast coffees that I favour I am seeing improvements in the cup and nicer looking grind quality using the JX pro. It suits me to hand grind my beans but it's not necessarily better for everyone.

I took a bit of a punt on the JX pro when one came up on here as I had just watched DavecUK's review on YouTube. Glad I did though as I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

@ChilledMatt ; that’s interesting to hear, it is a nice looking little grinder, I may well give it a punt. Although I’m not desperate so will keeping all options open for the moment. Does look good though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ChilledMatt ; that’s interesting to hear, it is a nice looking little grinder, I may well give it a punt. Although I’m not desperate so will keeping all options open for the moment. Does look good though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not very often I rave about something on the internet.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

All sorted now chaps. Thank you for all the advice! 

I went for a Mignon manuale off @BlackCatCoffee in the end. Pretty excited to have a play about with it!

Although that's not to say a hand grinder is totally ruled out, it's definitely on the list to get at some point! N+1 and all that (not sure if its the same with coffee stuff, as it is with bikes!) 🤪

1 hour ago, Jamie.oc said:

All sorted now chaps. Thank you for all the advice! 

I went for a Mignon manuale off @BlackCatCoffee in the end. Pretty excited to have a play about with it!

Although that's not to say a hand grinder is totally ruled out, it's definitely on the list to get at some point! N+1 and all that (not sure if its the same with coffee stuff, as it is with bikes!) 🤪

I’m struggling to think of anything that the N+1 rule does NOT apply to, to be fair.

Cycles, motorbikes, cameras, hi-fi, power tools, bottles of gin, . . . 

Thank goodness I’ve got an understanding wife.

That’s it! I don’t apply N+1 to spouses or children - every rule deserves one exception.

Regards,

John

• Haha 1

Now: Profitec Pro 600, 1Zpresso JX Pro 

Due in August: Niche Zero, first grandchild