Jump to content
Dougieboy

Hello from West Midlands

Recommended Posts

Good Morning, all you coffee lovers. I found the Forum over the weekend and to be quite honest, I haven’t been able to drag myself away from here.
Im looking to improve on instant Bitter coffee. Like many of you I’m being drawn to the Gaggia classic, so if anyone knows of a nice second hand machine, I would be very interested 

All the best. Dougie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm refurbishing one at the moment that will be ready for sale in under 3 weeks if you can wait that long!

I will be posting it's progress probably starting tomorrow if you want updates.

It's a 2013 Gaggia classic that's had little use. I bought it from the people who've had it from new.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ratty said:

I'm refurbishing one at the moment that will be ready for sale in under 3 weeks if you can wait that long!

I will be posting it's progress probably starting tomorrow if you want updates.

It's a 2013 Gaggia classic that's had little use. I bought it from the people who've had it from new.

That sounds perfect Ratty, whats it like buddy, good nick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it has just been used to make a few coffee pod drinks, as it just came with pressurized baskets.

I've ordered a new non pressurized basket for it, as I don't use the pressurized baskets, although they will be passed on with the machine.

All internals will be fully descaled (not much of a job on this one as it's the cleanest one I've worked on)

I will be adding a front panel pressure gauge and setting the OPV to 10 bar .

I will fit a new Rancilio silvia steam wand for better milk frothing.

I will be fitting a new large solenoid gauge as the 2013 model was fitted with the smaller solenoid that tends to get blocked with limescale.

All new o rings and seals and new stainless steel bolts.

It has a few light scratches on the front panel that I will attempt to remove. Some eejit has tried to rub it clean with an abrasive of some kind and given up when light scratches appeared.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ratty said:

Looks like it has just been used to make a few coffee pod drinks, as it just came with pressurized baskets.

I've ordered a new non pressurized basket for it, as I don't use the pressurized baskets, although they will be passed on with the machine.

All internals will be fully descaled (not much of a job on this one as it's the cleanest one I've worked on)

I will be adding a front panel pressure gauge and setting the OPV to 10 bar .

I will fit a new Rancilio silvia steam wand for better milk frothing.

I will be fitting a new large solenoid gauge as the 2013 model was fitted with the smaller solenoid that tends to get blocked with limescale.

All new o rings and seals and new stainless steel bolts.

It has a few light scratches on the front panel that I will attempt to remove. Some eejit has tried to rub it clean with an abrasive of some kind and given up when light scratches appeared.

What kind of Money will you be looking for Ratty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @ratty

I just picked up a 2012 (my first machine!) and wanted to replace what I think is a blocked smaller (and more problematic) solenoid value.

I have read the older pre-made-in-Romania models came with a larger sol-valve, unlike my 2012, so just wondering if you knew if would be possible to simply take out the smaller valve and switch it over to a larger valve without any issues?

If so do have any idea how much one would cost / suggestions were I can get hold of one? Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi @ratty
I just picked up a 2012 (my first machine!) and wanted to replace what I think is a blocked smaller (and more problematic) solenoid value.
I have read the older pre-made-in-Romania models came with a larger sol-valve, unlike my 2012, so just wondering if you knew if would be possible to simply take out the smaller valve and switch it over to a larger valve without any issues?
If so do have any idea how much one would cost / suggestions were I can get hold of one? Cheers
In the interim if you put descaler in the machine and keep switching between brew and steam the solenoid valve will most likely smash the scale blockage and clear.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Hi @Dougieboy - which part of the Black Country are you from?

Hiya Filthynines, I’m from Oldbury, causeway green. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dougieboy said:

Hiya Filthynines, I’m from Oldbury, causeway green. 

Not too far away then (Walsall here - as you can see)!  Welcome to the forum! 

  • Like 1

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Not too far away then (Walsall here - as you can see)!  Welcome to the forum! 

Thank you FN, just having a nosey at your website. 👌

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dougieboy said:

Thank you FN, just having a nosey at your website. 👌

We're finally getting there with the fit-out. Slowly slowly... Hoping to have the ventilation sorted next week and then we're ready to go!


1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, filthynines said:

We're finally getting there with the fit-out. Slowly slowly... Hoping to have the ventilation sorted next week and then we're ready to go!

I will make a point of popping over. Wish you all the best with this buddy

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey good spot DB! I will keep an eye out too I'm only a few junctions away off the M6 and have friends in Walsall ;) Good luck with your venture FN ! wish you all the best.

You should have a forum day once set up, keep me and DB in the loop !

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valkyrie88 said:

Hey good spot DB! I will keep an eye out too I'm only a few junctions away off the M6 and have friends in Walsall ;) Good luck with your venture FN ! wish you all the best.

You should have a forum day once set up, keep me and DB in the loop !

Hiya, great idea Valkyrie, sounds like a plan to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dougieboy and @Valkyrie88 - Thank you both. I have a hope that at some point in the future we'll have a forum day. A nice spot in the middle of the country for people from all over to attend! First thing's first I suppose..!

  • Like 2

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the questions posed seem to have been answered.

You can put a larger solenoid valve on a machine that has a smaller valve, it's the same connections, prices are around or over £40.

I will be keeping the price just under £200 and in the first instance will be prioritizing pick up only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers @ratty that's really helpful mate (I have now found your 2013 refurb thread and following it too - hope your enjoying the project ;))

Just on the question of where to source a large valve, I did some googling and eventually called an authorized distributor of Parker (link below).

Spoke to a chap called Simon who told me if I could get him the code (or a pic) of the bottom of the brass assembly of the ZB09 valve he could try and locate one for me as it is not something they stock or sell frequently...any chance you can help?

https://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.f6766e22dfd9240ff1c5b510237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=019c1d5e9ffde210VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Dougieboy sorry for taking over your thread - hopefully you can see what joys/troubles can be avoided if you purchase your machine off @ratty who clearly knows what he is doing !

The larger solenoid he is fitting is a really an enhancement as the machines that come with a smaller one really do get blocked time and time again - worth keeping an eye on the below ;)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie88 said:

Hey @Dougieboy sorry for taking over your thread - hopefully you can see what joys/troubles can be avoided if you purchase your machine off @ratty who clearly knows what he is doing !

The larger solenoid he is fitting is a really an enhancement as the machines that come with a smaller one really do get blocked time and time again - worth keeping an eye on the below ;)

 

Don’t apologise Buddy, it’s all a learning curve for me, the more I learn here the more I want to learn. That’s what makes this Forum great. The Large solenoid is a no brainer really. All the best with sourcing your parts Valkyrie88

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Valkyrie88 said:

Cheers @ratty that's really helpful mate (I have now found your 2013 refurb thread and following it too - hope your enjoying the project ;))

Just on the question of where to source a large valve, I did some googling and eventually called an authorized distributor of Parker (link below).

Spoke to a chap called Simon who told me if I could get him the code (or a pic) of the bottom of the brass assembly of the ZB09 valve he could try and locate one for me as it is not something they stock or sell frequently...any chance you can help?

https://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.f6766e22dfd9240ff1c5b510237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=019c1d5e9ffde210VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

I'm sorry but read this just as I had finished refitting the valve to the grouphead after stripping it down and lubing all parts before reassembly. I also have applied anti seize to the new bolt threads and adjoining threads on the grouphead, meticulously, with the paste on the end of cocktail sticks. So I will not be removing  it now!

You should be able to find info with a google search. I will look too later, when I have a minute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ratty said:

I'm sorry but read this just as I had finished refitting the valve to the grouphead after stripping it down and lubing all parts before reassembly. I also have applied anti seize to the new bolt threads and adjoining threads on the grouphead, meticulously, with the paste on the end of cocktail sticks. So I will not be removing  it now!

You should be able to find info with a google search. I will look too later, when I have a minute

Rats! Ok sure please let me know if you come across anything :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Valkyrie88 said:

Rats! Ok sure please let me know if you come across anything :)

Have you tried Blue Star Coffee?

Not exactly the same make but I think this is one of the larger Solenoids? (Difficult to tell from photos!)

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/gaggia-boiler-solenoid-3876-p.asp


 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...