IGNORED

Do I need an osmio zero?

We do get through at least 4 bottles of Volvic a day (my children only drink water) and that is not counting the water that was used in the kettle or for cooking. Our Brita filter starts to leave in scale after about 10 days. The Osmio arrived 2 days ago, couldn't be happier.

I believe the five years life span is due to the pump. If that gives up you can have it changed. It is mentioned in the Q&A section on Osmio website.

• Like 2
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try pointing out the Arsenic content on the water report [emoji6]

@hubcap I'd guess that @Bullit121 is basing the 6m change on what Osmio recommend, which is what I've also done (one change as only purchased May 2020).  I dare say I could push that out to 12m, as wi

In my household is a different reason all together... I really would like one, for coffee and drinking water. And that’s me really. My wife doesn’t drink tea, and, unless the tap water becomes unsafe,

Posted Images

5 Years is too long a time frame to think.

• If it packs, I would probably try dismantling the unit to check if any parts can be taken out for future use. 
  • Check with the company to see if anything can be done with the failed unit.
  • Replace it without blinking! 

It’s been two days. I have sent the kettle packing and the last 1L is used to wash, water the plants, cook veggies and pasta. 

My wife, who was sceptical when I ordered this, already having some second thoughts. How did we manage without something like this ? 

We typically boil water in the kettle for cooking pasta. Although, theoretically, I can do the same with this, it may not be practical with this. It is fine, tbh. 

“Whatever you are, be a good one.” - Abraham Lincoln

6 minutes ago, Bullit121 said:

I'm definitely undecided. The manual does say...

• Normal wear and tear. We suggest the system should be replaced after 5 years.

As I commented, these did not bother us. But, every case is different. 

Please take your time, see if this is for you and decide based on your requirement, and costs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullit121 said:

I'm definitely undecided. The manual does say...

• Normal wear and tear. We suggest the system should be replaced after 5 years.

I found this on the website:

Hi,
In the more information is says, "the system should be replaced after 5 years"
Can you explain why the system only lasts 5 years? Is it not serviceable?
5 years seems like a very short lifetime for a product costing this much.
Thanks.
Kind regards.

Question by: Tom on 7 Feb 2021, 12:10:34
Hi Tom, it's really more than that and all the parts of the Osmio Zero are available and the system is servicable, so the system could be refurbished after 5 years. It's normal for a reverse osmosis pump to last less than 10 years but these can be replaced and the system carry on. We often trade in 5-7 year old ones to be reconditioned to provide for resale on our ebay store which sells only used or graded items or we give them away to Charities.

This answer is what made me to back away from buying the ebay refurbished item for £300 and buy a new one for £399.
  • Like 1

16-20 litres a day through ours...got it 6th Jan 2019, Jan 5 2020 replaced filters, Nov 25 2020 replaced filters.

Our water is 280 TDS winter and 320TDS summer, it's quite hard, so much, so we have a whole house water softener. We the softened water through the Osmio (Osmio is filtering out Sodium Carbonate instead of Calcium carbonate). I do this because there was never the facility to put in an unsoftened tap because of the house layout.

We have used RO systems for almost 25 years to treat our drinking water....The Osmio was because I got fed up with under counter systems, difficulty of filter changes, storage tank issues and the high amount of wasted water.. It suits my lifestyle, but it's not for everyone.

Sure it's £345 or something with the forum offer and a free extra set of filters (I think, if it's still on). If ours failed I would also .....

Replace it without blinking! 

We have not used a kettle since getting the Osmio. Well actually we had a large electric airport type thing, keeping 4 litres of water at about 85C...took up lots of space and always annoyed me because I would have to keep pressing reboil as it was never really hot enough. If it had been refilled, it was a 20 minute wait for it to warm up the water again.

• Like 2

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

@Bullit121,

I think your filter change after 6 months could be way out, it depends on your tap water and how much you use.

The average filter change is 12 months, as was mine, I only changed mine because the machine told me too.

Never looked back since I bought this, no plastic waste and no kettle, apart from a gooseneck for pour over.

I have never had to descale my Lelit and the kettle has absolutely no scale.

If it went tits up tomorrow I would not hesitate buying another, if it could not be fixed.

• Like 1

@hubcap I'd guess that @Bullit121 is basing the 6m change on what Osmio recommend, which is what I've also done (one change as only purchased May 2020).  I dare say I could push that out to 12m, as winter time it's c6l / day, summer was probably more like twice that, but I do have water that makes @DavecUK's look positively soft (knocking on for 400mg/l).  I had done the 5m change thinking a more clogged RO membrane means the pump has to work harder, but 5yrs for £300-£400 (who knows what price will be in 3 yrs time) Vs 10 filter changes at £50 per time, maybe the economic and environmentally best option is the go to 12m intervals.

@Bullit121 I think that everybody's needs case for Osmio Zero is different, we have different tap water, usage levels, purposes (If I had to pay for somebody to descale and refurb a coffee machine it's very different to me doing it myself), let alone the initial outlay.  So, you are right to weigh it all up and form your own decision rather than just assuming it's right for you just because it's right for some others.

• Like 3

tbh I try not to overthink this, fill up, use & fill up again.

If the machines flow started to slow down or machines maintenance light appears - change filter etc'

I agree it's not for everyone but the fact that I get no scale (machine worst enemy) far out weighs any other consideration.

Also the plastic waste from bottled water I was throwing away also was another reason.

• Like 1

Pretty hard!

CALCIUM 122 mg/l

Calcium is the principal constituent of hardness.

TOTAL HARDNESS 305 mg/l

I'm looking at getting a new espresso machine in the not too distant future but want to get prepared first...

3 hours ago, Bullit121 said:

want to get prepared first...

While you’re fairly certain the tap water can’t go into your espresso machine, IMHO,  bottled water, under the counter, filter jugs, distilled water and over the counter have all their pros and cons. Probably, they will all return to equilibrium in the long term.

A lot of us here, may have selected OZ for reasons of convenience, cost neutral and environmental friendliness without governed by the frequency of filter changes and longevity (both are of course important, tbh). 

As pointed out by many on this thread, every case is different. You alone can decide what’s right for you. What ever you choose, please choose well so that you won’t regret it. Good luck with your decision and do let’s know how you got on ! 😊

Thanks. The offer you can get through here makes a big difference actually in terms of justifying the price. Thanks to @DavecUK for pointing that out. I think that offer expires on 31st March and I'll have my bonus from work on the 25th so I'll probably pull the trigger then!

As you say convenience is a big thing. Bottled water isn't sustainable and imagine waking up only to realise that the coffee machine is empty and you've run out of bottled water....

Ahhh Nescafé...no thanks. Thanks for your advice 👍

• Like 1