Do I need an osmio zero?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try pointing out the Arsenic content on the water report [emoji6]

@hubcap I'd guess that @Bullit121 is basing the 6m change on what Osmio recommend, which is what I've also done (one change as only purchased May 2020).  I dare say I could push that out to 12m, as wi

In my household is a different reason all together... I really would like one, for coffee and drinking water. And that’s me really. My wife doesn’t drink tea, and, unless the tap water becomes unsafe,

Posted Images

i couldn't face dragging it in and out every time, i put it on an island where it towers at one end.

EDIT: i should say being free from requests to descale the sodding kettle has been worth the price of admission alone.

Edited by facboy
15 minutes ago, facboy said:

i couldn't face dragging it in and out every time, i put it on an island where it towers at one end. 

As have I because we fill it so often. 

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

2 hours ago, AndyDClements said:

Taste wise, water at ambient temperature isn't great, our bodies are programmed to like water cold or hat as either is less likely to be contaminated with bugs that can kill us. Tap water is generally at ground temperature (if your home is  at ground level) which is often a lot cooler that our homes ambient temperature. I have a couple of bottles of filtered water in the fridge, pretty much all the time, so there's always cold filtered water to drink. 

Tea. I don't know as I don't drink a lot of tea, but the one tea drinker in the house does prefer Osmio as there's no scum on the top of the tea (our tap water is really bad for that). My brother has commented that the tea is nicer using the Osmio than normal, but I get that can be as simple as he doesn't realise that he prefers the brand of tea we have compared to his home. Maybe that tea taste thing is sub-optimal temperature of the water since black tea needs 100degC. I do run a couple of seconds of water into the cup/mug then tip out and start the drink, so maybe that gets to the same temperature as a normal kettle tipped into a cold cup/mug. As I say, I'm not the one drinking the tea so as long as I'm not moaned at it's fine by me.

I'm curious about your source for our bodies being programmed to like hot or cold water? I've read that our bodies prefer body temperature water because that is the temperature at which it is absorbed most rapidly. Obv this is about as subjective as it gets but I prefer the ambient temperature of the Osmio to chilled and find it easier to drink, esp if you need to drink a lot say after exercise.  

For tea, especially black tea, you want it right off the boil but its not overly detrimental to the brew if you're a few degrees off ime. With the Osmio I am careful to preheat mug and filter before brewing, making sure the Osmio has run a little boiling water first before filling the cup and it's a fine cup to my tastes. I did side by side comparisons not double blinded or anything thorough but the difference was big to me: compared to hard tap water RO water makes much much clearer and lighter tasting tea, it's not even close. The brew is clearer even with a crappy teabag. Where the Osmio comes into its own is with green and other lighter teas which you want to brew at 70-80 degrees and can often rebrew, I had a variable temp kettle but that's gone to my mums now. 

I put my Kettle in the cupboard from day one - the Osmio does everything I want it to.

I find that in time you get used to most things, so the slight drop in temp from boiling is no longer a problem.

I keep an empty one of these little pots on top of the machine and if I want close to boiling, I simply let the first 10ml go into it before moving it out of the way.

For americanos I don't bother as it's more than hot enough.....of course it won't come out at 100C because as we know that's impossible...but in the spout it's 94 or 95C which is way good enough for most people. For an instant boil heater I am surprised it is that hot, best instant ceramic heater I have ever seen, so much so,  I considered recommending it for espresso machines hot water systems...if it's not copyright.

1127_G_1592346962190.jpg

Edited by DavecUK

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

58 minutes ago, ArkellvsPressdram said:

I'm curious about your source for our bodies being programmed to like hot or cold water? I've read that our bodies prefer body temperature water because that is the temperature at which it is absorbed most rapidly. Obv this is about as subjective as it gets but I prefer the ambient temperature of the Osmio to chilled and find it easier to drink, esp if you need to drink a lot say after exercise.  

It's something I'd heard time and time again normally TV programmes. I've just Googled it and this was the first hit which probably sums up what I'd heard (Dave Asna's answer Nov 17th)

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-majority-of-humans-prefer-ice-cold-water-to-room-temperature-water-when-thirsty#:~:text=The colder it is%2C the,better by avoiding waterborne diseases.&text=This is why people in both,cold climates prefer cold water.

I agree that it's probably better at re hydration if it's at or near body temperature, the stomach can slow down absorption to let water get to the body's temperature.The other day, working in the garden, I was choosing ambient straight out of the Osmio, not because it tasted better but because it was less of a shock on the system, I could down a pint of it and get back to work. Trouble is that when we were evolving, we didn't have safe sources of warm water, just like we didn't have plentiful food supplies hence why we're programmed to generally like fatty and sweet foods.

I know I want an RO system, but the question is if it has to be an Osmio. The Osmio definitely looks easy to use, but also takes up space, and has more functions than I need. There seem to be a bunch of much cheaper RO systems - those admittedly do waste more water (but even the Osmio wastes some water), but in terms of cost I can't see how the Osmio could win (unless your local water is very expensive - I'm not familiar with UK water pricing, locally for me it's cheap and plentiful).

(My current plan is: get one of those simple systems that you can attach to your tap, and produce enough water for a few days at a time, which avoids it having to take up permanent space in the kitchen without a huge hassle when I do use it.)

But I also wouldn't drink from either system: the water is only for coffee, and I mix RO with tap water to get the right consistency.

Edited by viveur
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, mmmatron said:

I’m feeling a bit meh about mine. It’s great not using bottled water for many reasons but I miss the kettle. I prefer drinking tap water to the taste of the osmio and it makes a lousy cup of tea. I hate that it defaults back to cold if there’s a slight delay in pressing the hot water button again for the desired volume, and it’s definitely not 100 degrees even with a purge (about 93 according to my thermometer). Ooh that came off a bit ranty!

Yep - it definitely isn't close to boiling - me I don't care because I don't drink tea - my wife really struggled with it at first - but convience got the better of her. My daughter hates the taste compared to tap water - but then again she's weird because our tap water tastes like swimming pool. 

It definitely doesn't replace the kettle - no way I'm pissing around trying to fill pots with it when cooking veg or boiling pasta...

It has stopped me buying plastic bottles though and I just keep a couple of glass bottles from Ikea filled with water in the fridge. 

I just stuck a few squares of gaffa tape under the feet - slides out no problem.

Mine's just fine .... now there's a slogan waiting to happen. No probs other than, and it's been mentioned already, the selection time to deault back to cold. I've drawn a cold second cup on top a teabag too many times to mention. Can that be adjusted at all? Only other thing is I'd like a pullout second stand to allow me to position cups closer to the spout. I can understand that it's sized for bottle access but it IS advertised as a kettle also. It's dangerous to allow splashes of hot water when filling a cup and it takes sooooooo.. long to hold that my arm aches. Why does it dispense at an extremely slow trickle?? Fix those and I'd be ecstatic [emoji4]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

£3.46 equates to a pack of Volvic. Easy to get through if you don't like tap water to either drink or put through your machine.

Edited by The Systemic Kid
  • Like 1

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 17.29.11.png

Throwing it in a skip after 5 years? Also the filters and electricity.

I'd only use it for the coffee machine.

Sadly most supermarket packaging is plastic, I can probably live with putting 2 bottles of Volvic* in the recycling each week...

* Other bottled waters are available

Edited by Bullit121
Humour