IGNORED

Do I need an osmio zero?

Hello, I keep seeing the group buy and I keep thinking do I need it or should I save my money for a better machine. My local water is soft and taste ok. hopefully this link works.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/drinking-water-quality/water-quality-search-results/

The whole water analysis blows my mind a little. Out kettle doesn't really scale and we generally just use a Brita filters. I do regular clean my machine but I don't really understand the long term effects of using my water on my machine. If my waters crap I would get the osmio but I'm not sure. Can any one help.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try pointing out the Arsenic content on the water report [emoji6]

@hubcap I'd guess that @Bullit121 is basing the 6m change on what Osmio recommend, which is what I've also done (one change as only purchased May 2020).  I dare say I could push that out to 12m, as wi

In my household is a different reason all together... I really would like one, for coffee and drinking water. And that’s me really. My wife doesn’t drink tea, and, unless the tap water becomes unsafe,

Posted Images

Lol yes I know. But I need to tell my wife why we NEED one. She doesn't drink coffee and I think on the whole or water quality isn't that bad. But again bar the obvious I haven't a scooby what chemicals are particularly bad and if the Brita is doing a sufficient job  🤔

Lol yes I know. But I need to tell my wife why we NEED one. She doesn't drink coffee and I think on the whole or water quality isn't that bad. But again bar the obvious I haven't a scooby what chemicals are particularly bad and if the Brita is doing a sufficient job  [emoji848]

Try pointing out the Arsenic content on the water report [emoji6]

What are the different columns showing? Min and average?

So alkalinity is 16.2 mg/l? 

Calcium is 13

Magnesium is 2.89? (no value in the second column?? different page showing different thing? Presumably second column is max permissible on that page...)

If you used the print function of your browser you'd be able to post the entire thing rather than just screenshots with information missing.

Anyway.

Alkalinity is probably low.

Hardness is probably about 45 mg/l

Add bicarbonate to bring the alkalinity up to 40 mg/l and it'll be fine regarding scale. Can't speak for anything else like chlorides and sulphate, you'll have to decide if you're happy putting the other stuff in your machine.

EDIT:

My assumptions about the different columns were correct. Checked my own water report with United utilities. Good for brewing in my case.

Edited by Rob1
16 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

What are the different columns showing? Min and average?

So alkalinity is 16.2 mg/l? 

Calcium is 13

Magnesium is 2.89? (no value in the second column?? different page showing different thing? Presumably second column is max permissible on that page...)

If you used the print function of your browser you'd be able to post the entire thing rather than just screenshots with information missing.

Anyway.

Alkalinity is probably low.

Hardness is probably about 45 mg/l

Add bicarbonate to bring the alkalinity up to 40 mg/l and it'll be fine regarding scale. Can't speak for anything else like chlorides and sulphate, you'll have to decide if you're happy putting the other stuff in your machine.

EDIT:

My assumptions about the different columns were correct. Checked my own water report with United utilities. Good for brewing in my case.

Cheers Rob, when I'm home I will post it up. Couldn't do it from my phone. Yes first column was minn and the other average. The first was from the summary and the other the full. I will get it up later 👍

Depends on what you're going to use it for.

I was all l set for buying one - then my wife announced that she'd use the kettle anyway as she likes her water on the boil - not just below.

When I cook an evening meal - let's say pasta and or vegetables - I'll often fill the kettle 2 or 3 times during a session - can't see how the Osmio would help me here either.

Drinking water would be useful - but my daughter hates filtered water (:0) and I like my water chilled and am at work most of the time.

So that left me with spending 300 quid on a filter system for a coffee machine... or just carry on using my zero water filter system - £300 buys approx 3 yrs worth of cartridges - would be interesting to see how long the Osmios last.

Then there's the environmental side - where the Osmio probably wins out by virtue of less cartridge use. It's an unknown - the water I have is very hard at about 320ppl.

End result is I talked my way out of one..then again.....

• Like 1

My main questions are in Osmio Vs my water and Brita filter.

Will it significantly improve the life of my machine(scale build up etc?), especially if I want a MaraX in the future (and all I understand is my water is soft :) ), given I drink 1 latte a day/2 at weekends.

Will it taste much better, we quite happily drink it at the moment (but fewer impurities the better), my wife drinks loads of herbal, warm water etc. So heating what I need is very useful, although we have a kettle that brews enough for a mug (it does get over filled).

Given its £300 I cant argue for or against a machine as I dont know enough to make an informed decision and I could save said £300 to a really nice Mara.

Your tap water won't form scale in the Mara X even at 130c. If you use steam eventually it will so you should flush the boiler regularly....which isn't remotely an issue with tap water. If you add bicarbonates to bring it up to 40 mg/l alkalinity then you'll need to flush more regularly and/or perform a light descale. Descaling HX machines is easy so again shouldn't be an issue.

My only concern would be with the presence of chlorides. I've read conflicting information, some say up to 316l steel can take up to 100ppm without corrosion and some say corrosion is evident at less than 10ppm in steam applications. I just opt for none so I don't have to think about it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Groke said:

@Bagpu55 one space left in round 8 if you do decide to go for an Osmio. Of course, being in the group myself I couldn’t have any interest in you getting one.. 😊

Cheers Groke. If I was flush with cash I would. But I don't think it's an essential atm. Really would like an electric grinder next as hand cranking is getting a bit of a pita.

14 minutes ago, Bagpu55 said:

Cheers Groke. If I was flush with cash I would. But I don't think it's an essential atm. Really would like an electric grinder next as hand cranking is getting a bit of a pita.

Good shout. I use a hand grinder for when I occasionally do pour over. It’s a bit of a beast so at the easier end of the spectrum - but even so I think I’d get a little fed up using it day in day out for espresso. I’d prioritise the leccy grinder too!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

If anyone is on the fence about an Osmio Zero, I have just started another group buy (Round 12) in the Group Buys section of the website - link below.

Hopefully we can get 6 people drinking good quality, RO water (myself included) in the near future!

Thanks,
Shaun

On 24/08/2020 at 12:33, shaunlawler said:

If anyone is on the fence about an Osmio Zero, I have just started another group buy (Round 12) in the Group Buys section of the website - link below.

Hopefully we can get 6 people drinking good quality, RO water (myself included) in the near future!

Thanks,
Shaun

Would love to get in on it but unfortunately I am below the required 25 post count, mainly a lurker!

If I can't get the required post count soon I'll likely just buy it anyway, turns out my water is harder than I realised and my god does it taste like chlorine!

Quite like the fact that it can produce near boiling RO water on demand, and the lack of plumbing in is nice.