8 hours ago, RobDGio said:

Are you single dosing? Not saying this is the reason but wondering if not having the weight of a full hopper could be causing this clumping??

Yes, single dosing.

18 to 20 grams.

Primarily because I use different beans and only have an espresso or two per day. Leaving anything in the hopper means I either take it all out to change beans. Plus it'll go stale because I average 140 grams per week.

5 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Yes, single dosing.

18 to 20 grams.

Primarily because I use different beans and only have an espresso or two per day. Leaving anything in the hopper means I either take it all out to change beans. Plus it'll go stale because I average 140 grams per week.

Did you try filling the hopper with at least 150g of beans, or maybe more, and see if the clumping goes away? Otherwise you are not using the grinder as intended, as it’s not a single dose grinder.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

3 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Did you try filling the hopper with at least 150g of beans, or maybe more, and see if the clumping goes away? Otherwise you are not using the grinder as intended, as it’s not a single dose grinder.

fair

ill try that

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

fair

ill try that

Yeah, do try that. Empty 250g on the hopper and see if improves over a few days. Main issue with flat burrs as such is that they are designed to operate with a weight of beans on the chamber, so it keeps things consistent. You'll find that you'll need to grind much coarser in order to keep the shot time you had before. That alone will most likely eliminate static clumping. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Yes, I noticed grinding coarser yielded virtually no clumping.

But then any suggestions on how to rotate between beans on a daily basis?

And a 250 gram bag of coffee lasts me about two weeks.

Beans will definitely go stale in that long in the hopper?

Also, how do I go about grinding exactly 18 or 20 grams with the Helios 80?

Other than weighing the portafilter ? Then adding or culling.

Because on the Sette 270wi, I had a built in scale.

Thank.

Edited by hedonist222
7 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

Yes, I noticed grinding coarser yielded virtually no clumping.

But then any suggestions on how to rotate between beans on a daily basis?

And a 250 gram bag of coffee lasts me about two weeks.

Beans will definitely go stale in that long in the hopper?

Also, how do I go about grinding exactly 18 or 20 grams with the Helios 80?

Other than weighing the portafilter ? Then adding or culling.

Because on the Sette 270wi, I had a built in scale.

Thank.

It feels to me... You are using the wrong tool for the job. The Helios is a commercial grinder. A big beast. It has a pretty accurate timed dose feature when used as intended. You want to use the Helios as not intended and expect it to perform miracles. You should buy a single dose grinder, or another Sette. 🙂 

The only way to rotate beans on a daily basis is to empty the hopper and the end of the day. But, consequently, you'll need to purge until the new beans are in, which is rather wasteful. 

2 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

Purge some new beans or purge without beans in the hopper/chamber? Till nothing comes out.

You need to purge with beans in the hopper so they push the old beans out. You can spin the burrs without beans in the hopper, but some will remain in there.

On 18/01/2021 at 12:10, MediumRoastSteam said:

It feels to me... You are using the wrong tool for the job. The Helios is a commercial grinder. A big beast. It has a pretty accurate timed dose feature when used as intended. You want to use the Helios as not intended and expect it to perform miracles. You should buy a single dose grinder, or another Sette. 🙂 

The only way to rotate beans on a daily basis is to empty the hopper and the end of the day. But, consequently, you'll need to purge until the new beans are in, which is rather wasteful. 

This problem stands not only with Helios but all commercial grinders on demand that people are trying to "tame" and turn them into a single-dose grinders.

I modified a Mythos, another beasty grinder for home use, by cutting a plastic bottle that fits the hopper outlet, adding a heavy load (with the shape of the bottle I have used) that I place on top of the beans (to ensure the gravity push) and I add around 100-120 g that goes through for a couple of days. I tried using it for a single dose by weighing the beans and run it for longer until no beans were left but somehow (reading about people's experience) I decided against it. Currently I get great consistency, plus/minus 0.2g per go when I grind 18 g which is not that bad.

• Like 1

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

10 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

This problem stands not only with Helios but all commercial grinders on demand that people are trying to "tame" and turn them into a single-dose grinders.

I modified a Mythos, another beasty grinder for home use, by cutting a plastic bottle that fits the hopper outlet, adding a heavy load (with the shape of the bottle I have used) that I place on top of the beans (to ensure the gravity push) and I add around 100-120 g that goes through for a couple of days. I tried using it for a single dose by weighing the beans and run it for longer until no beans were left but somehow (reading about people's experience) I decided against it. Currently I get great consistency, plus/minus 0.2g per go when I grind 18 g which is not that bad.

in my post above yours - I mention that I filled the hopper with 250 grams

and I extracted about 100 grams

2 x 20 g individually

then a whole 60 grams

clumping with the hopper filled

1 hour ago, hedonist222 said:

clumping with the hopper filled

How long have you used it like so? Did you check whether it has improved after a couple of days without removing the hopper from the grinder?

1 minute ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

How long have you used it like so? Did you check whether it has improved after a couple of days without removing the hopper from the grinder?

I filled the hopper

extracted those 100 grams within a minute

then removed the beans from the hopper

How will having it in there for days be different than extracting 100 grams on the spot?

19 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

How will having it in there for days be different than extracting 100 grams on the spot?

I don’t know exactly how the clump crusher mechanism works on that particular grinder. But my understanding, generally speaking, is that the grinds compact behind the clump crusher/anti-static screen and then the new grinds push that compacted grinds through. If you remove the hopper snd in the process clean the chamber thoroughly, then you are not helping much. If you just remove the hopper, replace with other beans and out the hopper back, then it should not make any difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hedonist222 said:

I filled the hopper

extracted those 100 grams within a minute

then removed the beans from the hopper

By picking up a bit of moisture from the air in the room for example.

Is it possible to take pictures to visualise the extent of clumping so everyone is on the same page?

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

But the hopper is empty, or very close? Dump 250g of beans in it and use all up like that and see what happens. Remember, those are commercial grinders. You are not using it as by design. 

It’s your clump crusher in place , it is knackered and needs replacing ? 

These had a very short shelf life or were quite flimsy on the early mythos models. 

Is it actually a  problem when you are pulling tasting a shot , or is it just visually unappealing ?

Other than that stir it . 

Conversely my niche which is a single dose grinder  but is not designed to grind into a pf , actually gives a clump free dose into the pf , better than nearly any other grinder ive owned.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Conversely my niche which is a single dose grinder  but is not designed to grind into a pf , actually gives a clump free dose into the pf , better than nearly any other grinder ive owned.

I agree on that. It does have more static on the Niche, as expected. i.e.: if I don't use a PF funnel and grind directly into the PF with the Niche, the grinds spill all over the show. 

3 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

But the hopper is empty, or very close? Dump 250g of beans in it and use all up like that and see what happens. Remember, those are commercial grinders. You are not using it as by design. 

Yes, it was empty in the video/photo.

But its like this even with the hopper with 250 grams.

I'll try the 250 grams with cheaper coffee soon.

When I used it by design - it still clumped.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

It’s your clump crusher in place , it is knackered and needs replacing ? 

These had a very short shelf life or were quite flimsy on the early mythos models. 

Is it actually a  problem when you are pulling tasting a shot , or is it just visually unappealing ?

Other than that stir it . 

This machine is about two months old.

Its been clumping from day one.

People said the burrs/chamber need to break in.
I assumed by chamber break in, they meant it needs some retained coffee to occupy some space before it stops sending out clumps.

Its a major problem if it I dont break the clumps, there are several streams from my naked portafilter & massive spraying/spewing.

2 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

This machine is about two months old.

Its been clumping from day one.

People said the burrs/chamber need to break in.
I assumed by chamber break in, they meant it needs some retained coffee to occupy some space before it stops sending out clumps.

Its a major problem if it I dont break the clumps, there are several streams from my naked portafilter & massive spraying/spewing.

Your clump crusher could have been defective from day one 

• Like 2