IGNORED

Recommend Me a Watch

1 hour ago, catpuccino said:

Sending a lower end watch/movement back to the manufacturer isn't the way to go, there are still good independent watchmakers out (with giant waiting lists...granted...).

Only my Chronometer movements go back to the manufacturer...the SH21 goes to Switzerland to get serviced and the other watch requires a special laser system to regulate it.

Nothing here...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would steer clear of any Chinese watches.  Assuming you want a mechanical watch, then the first decision is what style of watch you want. You can go with a sporty dive watch (like the Submarine

With a budget of £50 to £150 you are quite limited with the automatic watches to either a Miyota 8215 or a Seiko NH35A, both beat at 21600 BPH. You won't find the 28800BPH Selitta SW200 or ETA 2824 mo

Just to follow up on this thread, as the OP, I was very grateful for all of the advice and info people offered, and I now have a watch. The original brief and the budget went out of the window somewha

Posted Images

£150 for a watch is not a lot of money. What do you want? Something that you'll own for the rest of your life? Something you'll pass on one day? Do you want this watch to say anything about you at all? Or just something to tell the time?

If you want something that'll is stylishly timeless (haha), something that will get you an approving look from even the snobbiest of watch afficiado, something that is versatile - sporty on a bracelet, smart on a leather then you're looking at something much more than 150 notes I'm afraid. And that's the point of a nice watch, it should hurt. It should cost you a bit of money. You're going to own it FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. That's not to say you have to spend 5k but certainly more than 150.

Some of the suggestions being thrown around are, quite frankly, depressing and ill advised. If you buy an orient you might of well give your money to charity instead. You'll get much more respect. And you won't look like an idiot with something ghastly on your wrist.

My advice, if I haven't offended you already, is buy vintage. Something classic and with a story behind it. It'll be mechanical because, well, it should be (yes I have quartz watches too). You could probably get a nice old Omega seamaster or constalation. It'll be small, 34mm, but don't let that put you off. Big watches are out, vintage is in, just check out the Tudor 58. Online, because the waiting list is so long. They've kept the old styling AND size.

Good luck choosing a watch, at the end of the day it's your choice, you have to wear it. Until it turns your wrist green because you bought a cheap Chinese watch. Sorry, I'll stop now 😁

10 hours ago, CantChipForCoffee said:

My advice, if I haven't offended you already, is buy vintage. Something classic and with a story behind it. It'll be mechanical because, well, it should be (yes I have quartz watches too). You could probably get a nice old Omega seamaster or constalation. It'll be small, 34mm, but don't let that put you off. Big watches are out, vintage is in, just check out the Tudor 58. Online, because the waiting list is so long. They've kept the old styling AND size.

This is bad advice. Don't go vintage unless you (really) know what you're doing. I'm a vintage collector, it's too easy to get conned and lose your money. Especially with a seamaster or connie, I see more fake examples than real examples of those 2. A vintage watch also doesn't seem to fit the TS brief of wanting a robust every day watch. Many vintage watches will no longer be waterproof at this stage, the shock absorption can be rather suspect, etc. With some of my vintage pieces I cannot even wear them if it's going to rain that day, its hardly what you want from an everyday wear (unless you're a watch nerd and understand how to deal with all this stuff and/or are prepared for a hefty repair bill when you have moisture ingress). A vintage watch is like a vintage sportscar, they look great but you need to put the work in and know what you're doing or you're in for a life of disappointment. It's why vintage car collectors have a ford focus (or whatever) as an everyday drive, like we vintage watch collectors have a nomos/whatever as a robust everyday watch.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Power Freak said:

This is bad advice. Don't go vintage unless you (really) know what you're doing. I'm a vintage collector, it's too easy to get conned and lose your money. Especially with a seamaster or connie, I see more fake examples than real examples of those 2. A vintage watch also doesn't seem to fit the TS brief of wanting a robust every day watch. Many vintage watches will no longer be waterproof at this stage, the shock absorption can be rather suspect, etc. With some of my vintage pieces I cannot even wear them if it's going to rain that day, its hardly what you want from an everyday wear (unless you're a watch nerd and understand how to deal with all this stuff and/or are prepared for a hefty repair bill when you have moisture ingress). A vintage watch is like a vintage sportscar, they look great but you need to put the work in and know what you're doing or you're in for a life of disappointment. It's why vintage car collectors have a ford focus (or whatever) as an everyday drive, like we vintage watch collectors have a nomos/whatever as a robust everyday watch.

I really need to ask you some questions but will start another thread. Been sat on my granddad's omega chrono quartz albatros for years that I don't know what to do with.

Okay I have only around 12 watches and I buy what looks nice to my amateur eyes, okay I do a bit of reading on the model but no point in buying a named watch just because. Atm my nearly everyday watch is an old timer that I bought on the bay for £20 ish and it does me for pottering about the garden or working on the car, it’s for telling the time and that’s all. Join some watch forums and have a good read and ask some questions and don’t jump in, I did this at the start and bought a watch (still have it ) and it was too busy a dial with its sub dials and my eyes getting old, so have a good think about what you want

my mistake watch and a nice simple daily that tells me the time at a glance

3830139C-1CBC-47B7-9DDC-5C0600C94286.jpeg

57AF9CB4-32CE-46C2-BA6E-17BB136AD8F1.jpeg

Lelit MaraX , Brasilia RR55OD

So much good information to digest here. It's difficult to break it down into meaningful generalisations, but here we go:

* Your watch can probably either please you, or please a watch collector, but doing both might be difficult!

* The floor price for a "lifetime watch" is pretty high. I'm not looking for that right now, but I think I will be in maybe 10 years time.

* Ok quality, budget Automatic watches are available, and collectors will either respect them for what they are, or dismiss them for what they are not. 

* The super low end of the market (£40-80, non-prestige, quartz) seems to have some amazing watches - Casio Duro or Edifice, Citizen's with Sapphire, maybe Timex Weekender.

* It seems like Seiko's (SKX etc.) are no longer quite the bargain they once were.

I've looked at a few Seiko alternatives, and of you lived in the US, the Long Island Watches Islander, or the Heimdallr SKX would be great value homages, using Seiko cases. Tax & shipping would render these a less good deal on the UK, as they would for any bargains on CreationWatches. 

Staying on the Seiko theme, I do really like some of the Orient models. The Open Heart version of the Bambino/Esteem really appeals to me a lot (FAG02005W0), but seems more of a dress watch than a daily beater. The same goes for the more expensive Smith's Everest, although it's likely a better quality investment type watch.

I did check out a few microbrands, and liked the Phoibos Proteus, but you're probably pushing towards £300 for a watch that still night not be worth servicing in a few years.

All of this brings me back to... the humble Invicta Pro Diver! It won't get much admiration from the watch snobs, but at £79 it's somewhere in between a Casio Duro and a Seiko SKX - a solid watch that won't break your heart if it stops working in 7 years time. I actually like the way it looks, as a Submariner homage which isn't actively pretending to be a Rolex!

The slight complication here is that my wife has said she's planning to buy me a watch for my birthday (something she's chosen)! I'm more than happy with that - she bought me a beautiful Armani Meccanico watch a decade ago. I am wearing it right now, and even though it's probably a poorly regarded Chinese movement, it's working just fine and still makes me feel good every time I look at it!

Thanks for all the opinions so far 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 09:22, Bagpu55 said:

I really need to ask you some questions but will start another thread. Been sat on my granddad's omega chrono quartz albatros for years that I don't know what to do with.

If it's not working, it'll probably need to go to Omega or possibly to STS. Either way, it's likely to be expensive.

• Like 1
On 01/07/2020 at 08:59, Power Freak said:

Indeed, to say nothing of the fact you have to factor in servicing cost when you buy any vintage watch regardless of where you source it. There's no budget for a vintage piece at £150 unless you're happy to gamble on timekeeping and then wear something until it stops before servicing.

On 01/07/2020 at 09:22, Bagpu55 said:

There's plenty of independents who can help you. Just do some searches or join a watch forum for some advice.

Timex have reissued the Marlin if you didn't want to go vintage.

Swatch sistem51 is the first totally machine built automatic watch that'll be a future classic.

Otherwise, good luck OP.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, eduk said:

If it's not working, it'll probably need to go to Omega or possibly to STS. Either way, it's likely to be expensive.

Spoke to STS and it has to go to Switzerland. I guess not cheap will be the answer.

11 hours ago, Bagpu55 said:

Spoke to STS and it has to go to Switzerland. I guess not cheap will be the answer.

Depends what's wrong with it. If it's circuit board or other electronics, it'll probably have to go abroad.

Mine's just got sticky pushers, so hoping it's something an independent can fix. Must look into it.

These are really quirky and very (surprisingly) comfortable to wear!

• Like 1

A few other options to have a look at:

Divex and Poseidon (dive watches with a seiko movement)

Vostock Russian watches - on Meranom website 

creation watches and skywatches for huge choice of seikos (plus lots of other mostly Japanese brands)

Steeldive - mostly homage watches, but getting some good press

On 11/07/2020 at 17:43, eduk said:

A few other options to have a look at:

I find the Divex and Poseidon just too utilitarian looking. 

I can't quite get away with Vostocks, just the basic crude look of them.

Steeldive I'm sure are decent watches and excellent value - if you delve into AliExpress etc there are a load of Seiko-driven, sapphire crystal divers that are possibly decent. I might explore that in future, depending on whether I get a diver or a dress watch now - I spotted the Seiko Cocktail Time (power reserve model) as a late contender; saw a few of them in the flesh, in John Lewis, and they are stunning.

9 hours ago, CoolingFlush said:

I find the Divex and Poseidon just too utilitarian looking. 

I can't quite get away with Vostocks, just the basic crude look of them.

Steeldive I'm sure are decent watches and excellent value - if you delve into AliExpress etc there are a load of Seiko-driven, sapphire crystal divers that are possibly decent. I might explore that in future, depending on whether I get a diver or a dress watch now - I spotted the Seiko Cocktail Time (power reserve model) as a late contender; saw a few of them in the flesh, in John Lewis, and they are stunning.

My cocktail time although it’s the previous model to the one in JL. I hate to say it but rarely worn as I think it’s very dressy and I’m into a divers phase atm

BDFD1625-A7E1-47F1-8DDE-336C6A19767D.jpeg

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX , Brasilia RR55OD

I was trying to keep around budget, there's not much 'interesting' around for £50/£150 (IMO, it's all subjective anyway!).

The Newmark 6BB (or white/panda versions) might be worth a look, but heading towards £300 new.

Edited by eduk
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, eduk said:

I was trying to keep around budget

You're so right, the Cocktail Time and the Alkin are >£300. The Newmark 6BB looks really classy, as well as solid. Seems a good deal for £279 delivered.

This is quite an education, now I'm even finding myself scrolling Reddit/watches during the odd quiet moment!🤪

29 minutes ago, CoolingFlush said:

You're so right, the Cocktail Time and the Alkin are >£300. The Newmark 6BB looks really classy, as well as solid. Seems a good deal for £279 delivered.

This is quite an education, now I'm even finding myself scrolling Reddit/watches during the odd quiet moment!🤪

The Newmark's got a good pedigree and very faithful to the original 6BB.

The Seiko 5 Sports which have 'replaced' the SKX have a nice diverse range (and have the winding/hacking automatic 4r36 movement). Have a look on watches88.com, it's an ok site to navigate and might give you some inspiration.

You could also join TZUK and ask there, you'll get a wide range of answers!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this thread, as the OP, I was very grateful for all of the advice and info people offered, and I now have a watch. The original brief and the budget went out of the window somewhat, but I am now the proud owner of a Seiko Presage SSA343J1 cocktail time:

IMG_20200801_182306469.thumb.jpg.50e18a0ae498322047dde9d3a3fafaa0.jpg

Since seeing this watch I have been in love with it! I can post some pros & cons in future, but I'm very pleased with it, to say the least.

And I might still have a gap in my drawer for a rugged everyday diver...🤔

• Like 2

Nice work, Seiko are one of the best budget-but-good watches out there and buying automatic is a nice entry to the proper world of watches. I'd say they are the gaggia classic of the watch world.

I'm a bit of a watch lover. Got an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, an Omega Seamaster Pro, a Junghans Vista Chrono, a vintage Omega DeVille and a few other cheaper models knocking around as well.

I could sell them all for more than I bought them for, and I've had them all for over 15 years.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I think it was around 18 years ago I purchased a Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay watch to wear pretty much permanently. The case and strap are similar to this but the face is different:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Kinetic-Auto-Relay-5J22-0B39-Men-s-Stainless-Steel-Date-Wristwatch/114581314072?epid=20025202242&hash=item1aad941a18:g:BtQAAOSwZzNfoEc3

It needed a bit of riveting done on the strap a few years ago - cost a tenner at a local watch repairer - and that's it. 

Edited by Stox

Oooow another rabbit hole; this forum is hazardous to your wallet 😛. I like Seiko watches as well. My eyes are currently fixed on an Astron but SWMBO keeps pointing to my arm...i'll win her over somehow muhahaha.

My daily...Coutura Solar

DSC_0509.JPG

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

So many good looking Seikos - they seem to be getting a lot of hate ATM from watch people, since the discontinuation of the SKX, as their prices go up and perceived value for money goes down. 

Here's a poor quality photo of mine: IMG_20201220_173002.thumb.jpg.25518b7b6875fce91a4d77f7c1feff64.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Seiko, although I wouldn't pay the RRP - I've seen a few great deals on the high street, particularly at John Lewis of all places, as well as H.Samuel and Ernest Jones.

Whilst the Cocktail Time has had a lot of wrist time, for me it's "too nice", or at least too dressy for every day. I realise that it's a taboo subject, but in August I bought a Chinese special from AliExpress, and have used it as my daily beater ever since. It's basically a Rolex Explorer rip off, although to shift it slightly away from the Fake Rolex category, I went for a sterile dial, as well as some non-Rolex, Tudor/snowflake hands. Here it is:

IMG_20201220_172522.thumb.jpg.0cd2f1e9dcbf2525d007ad9cb1cd0404.jpg

IMG_20201220_172412.thumb.jpg.39b3215bc922c3643ef6597e4b9bc824.jpg

I won't attempt to wholeheartedly recommend it as a guaranteed bargain, but I'm very satisfied with it. On the plus side, it has a sapphire crystal, Miyota movement, screw-down crown, a nice looking bracelet with solid end links and a deployment style clasp, and only cost about £40. On the downside, the bezel is slightly off centre, the brushing on the bracelet is rough in places, and the poorly fitting screw pins on the bracelet have caused one of the welds on the clasp to break, although thankfully it still works fine.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chinese watch (there are loads of nice ones on Ali), but I would consider it a lottery, a cheapie and an alternative to something like a £50 Casio, and not expect the same degree of quality control or perhaps longevity as a Seiko.