IGNORED

Gaggia Classic - trouble removing all the descaler

Hi,

I've bought a second hand Gaggia Classic and I've been cleaning it up.  I've done a descale and I'm still getting particles of descaler and other unidentified bits either trapped behind the shower plate or just coming out of the wand.  I've ran through 3-4 tanks of water and can't seem to get rid of it all.  

edit: I have removed the shower plate btw :)

Any advice?

Thanks

Edited by diddimus

I don't have a classic but the bits your refer too will be particles of scale you tried to remove. If you can get access to the boiler internally i would descale again and syphon all the rubbish out with a length of tube

I was going to do a full service descale but it looked clean inside the machine, I guess it's build up inside the boiler?  I might just take it all apart tomorrow.  I'm new to this but I watched a service video and seemed pretty easy.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, diddimus said:

I was going to do a full service descale but it looked clean inside the machine, I guess it's build up inside the boiler?  I might just take it all apart tomorrow.  I'm new to this but I watched a service video and seemed pretty easy.

Thanks.

Yep, sounds like you need to crack open the boiler and get scrubbing.

If you haven't already it's worth stripping the solenoid assembly and OPV and soaking the metal bits in descaler. Remove any o-rings first and don't soak the solenoid core (the bit that slides up and down against the spring) in descaler as it has rubber components that may harden up; soak those in Cafiza/Puly Caff instead, and obviously don't immerse the solenoid block itself as that's an electrical component.

And yes, it really is dead simple, just keep the bits of the respective assemblies (OPV/Solenoid) separate; easier to stay organised that way.

Edited by Skizz
  • Like 1

So I've cleaned it all but I might have made some critical errors.  The video I watched was not very clear and I ended up soaking most of the boiler in citric acid, instead of just pouring water in it.  Now when I turn it on, it trips the RCD.  I've read a way that might work to dry it out, which I'm hoping works!  

Hopefully I'm not looking at a new boiler!

• 3 weeks later...

For the record, in case anyone else has this issue, the much safer option would be to sit the upper boiler in a 100 degree oven for a few hours.

The element insulation absorbs water, creating a short for the element if it gets really wet. Of course removing the machines earth and letting the element turn on while will generate enough heat for it to dry, but it is also pretty dodgy as it will be shorting until enough water is evaporated. A hot oven is safe and less likely to totally fry the boiler element.