Coffee Forums banner

Can’t tell if over or under extracted

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  -Mac 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

just got a new barista express machine and having some issues dialling in.

I am on the finest grind setting with around 17g coffee (2 oclock on the grind amount knob) in my double basket and I feel like I'm tamping hard enough. However when I extract a double cup, it takes about 10s from button press to seeing first coffee which then seems to come out too fast and the pressure gauge doesn't go into the optimal region. Ending up with around 1:3 ratio in about 25s and the espresso has a thin crema with sour taste. I assume it's under extracting due to too much water and sour taste, but it's taking 10s to get to first liquid which would be a sign of over extraction? Any tips?

thanks!

#2 ·
If it tastes sour (think lemon) then it is likely under extracted. Of course first check things like bean roast dates. Do you weigh your coffee dose (do you know it is 17g? Or are you just guessing)

10s from first drip doesn't worry me as these have a built in pre infusion. This is modifiable and there are plenty of tutorials online.

You may find you need to change the outer burr setting to get a finer grind. I prepared a set of pictures for that procedure a while back not sure if it'll help but it's a good indicator of all of the above are ok.

#5 ·
If it tastes sour (think lemon) then it is likely under extracted. Of course first check things like bean roast dates. Do you weigh your coffee dose (do you know it is 17g? Or are you just guessing)

10s from first drip doesn't worry me as these have a built in pre infusion. This is modifiable and there are plenty of tutorials online.

You may find you need to change the outer burr setting to get a finer grind. I prepared a set of pictures for that procedure a while back not sure if it'll help but it's a good indicator of all of the above are ok.

Have been weighing and am at 17g +- .2g which I assume shouldn't be having affecting it this much.

Thanks for the photos, I'll give that a go!
Do you do a programmed liquid volume? I have been using the double cup and stopping it at approx 50g liquid.

#4 ·
Hi everyone,

just got a new barista express machine and having some issues dialling in.

I am on the finest grind setting with around 17g coffee (2 oclock on the grind amount knob) in my double basket and I feel like I'm tamping hard enough. However when I extract a double cup, it takes about 10s from button press to seeing first coffee which then seems to come out too fast and the pressure gauge doesn't go into the optimal region. Ending up with around 1:3 ratio in about 25s and the espresso has a thin crema with sour taste. I assume it's under extracting due to too much water and sour taste, but it's taking 10s to get to first liquid which would be a sign of over extraction? Any tips?

thanks!
Too much water would not lead to under extraction .

Dont focus on calling it under or over extracted as you are not measring extraction

Ignore the pressure gauge

Are you stopping the hot by time or because you want to hot a 1:3 ratio ?

Fine a ratio you like the strength of be it 1:3 or 1:2 and then adjust

Again time it takes to come out is not a measure of under or over extraction ..

Of your coffee is too weak then grind finer and aim for a shorter ratio

Are you actually using scales under the cup btw?

#6 ·
Too much water would not lead to under extraction .

Dont focus on calling it under or over extracted as you are not measring extraction

Ignore the pressure gauge

Are you stopping the hot by time or because you want to hot a 1:3 ratio ?

Fine a ratio you like the strength of be it 1:3 or 1:2 and then adjust

Again time it takes to come out is not a measure of under or over extraction ..

Of your coffee is too weak then grind finer and aim for a shorter ratio

Are you actually using scales under the cup btw?
I've been stopping the shot at around 50g using scales under the cup and finding it too weak and watery.

I'll give the finer grind a go using the photos in a different reply and see how I get on!

#7 ·
At 1:3 already I wouldn't suggest more volume to solve the extraction problem. 25s all together is a bit fast for 50g. Grinding finer is the obvious solution. If you can't or that doesn't solve it, think about the water temp (could something be wrong?), make more effort on grind distribution (chanelling?) and check whether another bean works better (esp if you have a light roast at the moment).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.