AnnieB

La Pavoni Lever & What Grinder ?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone

I'm new here looking for inspiration. My partner turns 50 next month and I wanted to buy him a La Pavoni lever machine as he has loved every coffee he ever had from one at a friends place. He currently has an old kenwood grinder that he uses for all sorts of coffee but it is seriously on its last legs so if I can I'd like to get him a new grinder too.

He is a massive coffee drinker. Has a big pot of hand poured filter first thing and then a couple of rounds of espresso through the day, currently relying on an old battered stovetop pot (with a fallen off lid) for that.

I anticipate he will stick with the filter in the am but maybe swap out the stovetops for the lever pulled one.

So, ideally I'd be getting him a grinder that would work for both techniques. I've read some threads and tried to do some research but I am fairly lost so any and all help very much appreciated.

First up I need to know whether it's worth going for the La Pavoni PL professional over the Europiccola EN or EL? price difference is €150

Then I need help choosing a grinder that will fulfil both requirements.

(Then I may need a loan based on the prices I've seen so far😩🤣 )

Edited by AnnieB
  • Like 1

I think for the grinder.... A Niche Zero. It’s easily adjustable for different brew methods, and it’s single dose (I.e: whatever you put in, it will grind out), unlike hopper fed grinders. Alternatively, hand grinders can do the same, but you need to use your arm’s muscles to turn the burrs.

For the La Pavoni.... they are extremely overpriced when new. But I understand it’s for a special occasion.

Personally, I think the Europiccola will be just fine. But if your partner is into pressure gauges and pressure adjustments, the Pro would be a better choice.

You’ll need a few essentials too: a 51mm tamper, a dosing funnel, and a single hole steam tip. The stock 3 hole steam tip doesn’t quite work.

And very important: those machines require little maintenance, but they do need to be looked after. Avery few months, you would disassemble the group and lubricate the piston. You should also use water low in minerals, to avoid having to descale the machine.

Hope this is useful.

thank you that is very helpful. I had spotted the niche zero on another thread and it sounded good, but when I went to research where to buy one only came across an indiegogo page (from the niche website) so got a bit confused about whether they are a crowd funded piece of kit or already out on the market. I will take another look.

I'd be happy to buy a second hand La Pavoni if I could find one, that's what our friend has and he says its brilliant just does need maintenance. Any tips on where I might find one? I looked on ebay but they all seem to come from Germany or the US and seem pretty expensive for 2nd hand

thanks again

thank you that is very helpful. I had spotted the niche zero on another thread and it sounded good, but when I went to research where to buy one only came across an indiegogo page (from the niche website) so got a bit confused about whether they are a crowd funded piece of kit or already out on the market. I will take another look.
I'd be happy to buy a second hand La Pavoni if I could find one, that's what our friend has and he says its brilliant just does need maintenance. Any tips on where I might find one? I looked on ebay but they all seem to come from Germany or the US and seem pretty expensive for 2nd hand
thanks again

Hi,

Niche Zero started on indiegogo, and they kept that as their market place. That’s where you buy it from. There’s no worries there.

As the Pavoni.... yeah. You need to find a good deal. The price is usually based on condition and model. You can get europiccola ones which need some love for £180-220, or those well looked after for £280-£350.

You can keep an eye on the for sale thread of this forum, a few pop up from time to time.

thanks! ok, so I think the niche is my best bet - thank you for the reassurance on the indiegogo thing. I had no idea grinders are so expensive so budget may dictate an accompanying La Pavoni be second hand if possible. I will scour the for sale thread from now on and keep my fingers crossed!

Posted (edited)

@coffeechap  on this forum often has good secondhand la Pavs through his hands.

Edited by Batian
typo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Batian said:

@coffeechap  on this forum often has good secondhand la Pavs through his hands.

You beat me to it! I sourced mine from CC and I’m really pleased with it! He may have a suitable grinder handy too 😁 

5562BD18-9BEC-4A80-AE2F-622925B2DA15.jpeg

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

I meant to also say, welcome to the forum @AnnieB and what a fabulous gift idea for the birthday boy 😁 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

thanks all - CC has already replied - I may be in luck ! 🙂

MildredM that is a beautiful setup you have there 😍

I have the Niche and Pavoni and they're a great combo. Definitely worth buying the Pavoni secondhand. Your partner will be very happy. 

• Like 1

MildredM that is a beautiful setup you have there

That’s only 1/5 of it....
  • Haha 1

Also got a La Pavoni from@coffeechap around a month ago. Highly recommended! It's so much fun pulling shots on this thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Can't fault the Niche/La Pavoni combo. Takes up very little room as well :) 

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..