Compak K3, cant grind for espresso

I just buy used k3 grinder can't grind fine enough for espresso? 

the grinder is from 2008, I do not think it seems like it can be fixed with metal tape and alignment, any help or input for solution? 

Edited by JackHK

Have you tried to align the burrs? There are several threads how to do it and people have seen massive improvement. 

Otherwise I cannot see why it should not grind fine enough for espresso.

EDIT: Why did you decide that alignment cannot fix it if you do not mind my asking?

Edited by John Yossarian

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

53 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

Have you tried to align the burrs? There are several threads how to do it and people have seen massive improvement. 

Otherwise I cannot see why it should not grind fine enough for espresso.

EDIT: Why did you decide that alignment cannot fix it if you do not mind my asking?

Because like i show in the video, burrs are touching when i push on top at the grinder with my finger, when i release my finger burrs are not touching.

6 hours ago, JackHK said:

Because like i show in the video, burrs are touching when i push on top at the grinder with my finger, when i release my finger burrs are not touching.

I agree it seems a bit hopeless. I have never had one of those so someone else might have an idea what could be replaced to remove the disbalance upon pressing it. I do not believe a brand new one would behave the same way.

Can you source out an exploded diagram to check whether everything is intact?

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

3 hours ago, John Yossarian said:

I agree it seems a bit hopeless. I have never had one of those so someone else might have an idea what could be replaced to remove the disbalance upon pressing it. I do not believe a brand new one would behave the same way.

Can you source out an exploded diagram to check whether everything is intact?

Yes, I clean it completely, and already exploded the diagram and check everything is intact  

42 minutes ago, JackHK said:

Yes, I clean it completely, and already exploded the diagram and check everything is intact  

No traces of wear in the upper part that holds the upper burr? Unless this grinder was defective from the start it is very difficult to understand why it should be so sensitive upon being pushed down even slightly.

Are the parts made of plastic? I found an exploded diagram and it is difficult to say but some of them could well be made of plastic. Any chance some of them are even slightly worn?

I hope you did not paid too much for it.

• Like 1

If it's anything like the K6, then the top burr has a sprung mount to the upper burr carrier. This has probably come loose. Remove the upper burr carrier from the grinder, and remove the top burr. Underneath that will be 3 bolts that you should tighten up. Then reassemble and try. I had this exact issue with my K6 as I'd loosened that part to reduce the resistance of adjustments.  The real fix was to strip the upper burr carrier, grease it well with food safe grease, and tighten it up firmly. Oddly enough that also brought my burrs into better alignment too.

Edited by allikat
  • Like 1

Gear:

Gaggia Classic 2001, Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals. 2001, a coffee odyssey...

Daft question perhaps (I’m not familiar with Compak grinders) but are there not supposed to be springs in those three vertical grooves in the grind chamber?

• Like 1

EK43S-Coffee Burrs-V60-La Pavoni EP-Stagg EKG-Osmio Zero

27 minutes ago, AJP80 said:

Daft question perhaps (I’m not familiar with Compak grinders) but are there not supposed to be springs in those three vertical grooves in the grind chamber?

20 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

No springs, https://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Coffee-Grinder-Parts/Compak/K3-Touch-K3-Shop-K3-Push

793876621_1a-800x600.jpg.0403a35808a716f7a30b5d6dca86f67d.jpg

I also try "Rocky mod"  first with a single layer of thread tape and once more with a double layer, but it is scraped off, so unfortunately the fine idea from Morten did not work

441842677_IMG_3467800x600.jpg.360039a6714059838c96eda429929bee.jpg

These grinders, and yes, it is an identical design to the K6, are very sensitive to getting the upper burr carrier precisely in position. I am totally unsure how, but it appears you can almost get the upper carrier into the threads wrongly without visibly cross threading it... 

What I did was fill the area where the circular spring sits with grease, then tighten it down firmly before reinstalling the upper burr. That seems to have pretty much solved the same issue with my K6. I was having lots of trouble with the burrs touching before I got a good espresso grind, and it was the parts behind the burrs being a little loose that did it.

• Like 1

Gear:

Gaggia Classic 2001, Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

On 20/06/2020 at 05:59, allikat said:

These grinders, and yes, it is an identical design to the K6, are very sensitive to getting the upper burr carrier precisely in position. I am totally unsure how, but it appears you can almost get the upper carrier into the threads wrongly without visibly cross threading it... 

What I did was fill the area where the circular spring sits with grease, then tighten it down firmly before reinstalling the upper burr. That seems to have pretty much solved the same issue with my K6. I was having lots of trouble with the burrs touching before I got a good espresso grind, and it was the parts behind the burrs being a little loose that did it.

The burr is only touching when i gently touch the burr top in the font like in the video, I try take apart and collect again many time, stop where burr is touch is same position every time 😢

Here is the finest grind I can get from this without burrs is touching, 
just little to fine for Kalita

97572951_image1800x600.jpg.c600f19842ff3dc3170a8f7863302764.jpg 2143524836_image2800x600.jpg.278f70b0572ac259777726fe9c3e1717.jpg

1744925267_image4800x600.jpg.58878d9fce4f7e8c6a705655557e8b85.jpg 565205763_image5800x600.jpg.f3f59b9281875d7e6d69e45d7bdfe2d2.jpg

1233345678_image7800x600.jpg.44571aaff1cfb21934755e6b75d0282d.jpg 

Could be that you need to align the burrs a little. The principle is the same as those videos on doing it for those big Mahlkonigs, tin foil and white board pens. Tho it's more annoying to do with the Compak design.

• Like 1

Gear:

14 hours ago, allikat said:

Could be that you need to align the burrs a little. The principle is the same as those videos on doing it for those big Mahlkonigs, tin foil and white board pens. Tho it's more annoying to do with the Compak design.

I dont believe alignment can do it?, like i write in the first post..

I can go finer but then I need to lift the burr holder little with my nail like on the picture for the burrs not touching 
511885581_IMG_3573800x600.jpg.da22d3e6b3209013cc506ff2d399787e.jpg

Yeah, it should not be doing that at all. The lid and upper burr carrier should be pretty well solid. Are the threads OK? Are the 3 bolts behind the upper burr tightened down FIRMLY and to a roughly even pressure?

If the answer to the above are all yes, then the previous owner sold it for a reason, and that reason is probably that it's badly worn and something expensive like either the upper burr carrier or the part that screws into need replacing, which are either expensive, a lot of work, or both.

Edited by allikat
  • Like 1

Gear:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update.. 
I did not try to come to a conclusion from the beginning in this thread, because the seller of the grinder followed the thread here and he has now taken the grinder back. 🏁

My conclusion is it's not worth to repair the grinder, cause the threads are too worn for its posible to align the burr's 

Thank you all for your help 😃

Edited by JackHK
  • Like 1