Niche Zero, White or Black, help me decide!

Thinking of buying a niche zero with the new run of stock announced. It'll be paired with an andreja premium full stainless steel machine.

I can't for the life of me decide whether to go white or black. Is it likely that one has more residual value than the next if I move it on in the future?

I'm perhaps slightly leaning to white but no idea why!

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

No difference the people's preferences, White this time round for me.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I have a black Niche, and like it with my Minima. We do have white worktops though so if I went for white it could look like a whitewash.

The Niche is good in the way that it has been styled as such to make it look like it belongs on a worktop in a domestic environment, whilst providing good quality. For example a Mazzer Robur doesn't normally look like it belongs on a worktop at home, rather in a cafe (I know they're not the same ballpark of grinder but its a comparison to be made).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NJD1977 said:

Thinking of buying a niche zero with the new run of stock announced. It'll be paired with an andreja premium full stainless steel machine.

I can't for the life of me decide whether to go white or black. Is it likely that one has more residual value than the next if I move it on in the future?

I'm perhaps slightly leaning to white but no idea why!

I don't think with only 2 colours residual value will be affected at all. There will simply be a reduction in the available market, some will prefer black, some white some won't care. If you get a white one, some will prefer white, some black and again some won't care.

That said, white looks great but black also looks great....so that's something to think on.

My advice would be to not analyse it too much and simply go with the colour you like best.

• Like 2

Sod it, credit card out, white one ordered. September delivery.

I'll have a chrome Eureka Mignon to move on once it arrives.

• Like 3

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Sod it, credit card out, white one ordered. September delivery.

I'll have a chrome Eureka Mignon to move on once it arrives.

I do wonder what the difference in the cup is compared to the Mignon. I keep being tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, timb said:

I ordered white because everyone else was ordering white ones.

I regret that decision.

advertise in wanted for a new for new swap, you never know

The white Zero has more betterer, grinds more consistently and tastes better in the cup than the black version 😉

On a serious note white does appear to sell out faster each monthly regional Indeigogo stock allocation. The Niche Zero also appears to have been conceived, by design to be white, the reason for my hypothesis are the wooden appointments. Oak works well with the white finish IMO but not so much with the black finish which would have looked better (again IMO) with a darker wood such as walnut or mahogany. The black finish feels like an after thought which maintained the oak furniture due to cost. This is pure conjecture of course.

If these were to ever be collectable (which I highly doubt) it is the rare unpopular models that garner the most demand and $$$.

With all that said, I went with white which I found more aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jasetaylor said:

The white Zero has more betterer, grinds more consistently and tastes better in the cup than the black version 😉

True, but only for dark roasts. For medium and light roasts there is absolutely no difference, and green beans taste best on the black model.

10 minutes ago, Jasetaylor said:

If these were to ever be collectable (which I highly doubt) it is the rare unpopular models that garner the most demand and $$$.

Don't they make equal numbers of either colour, and just always sell the whites faster? It's a bit puzzling why they don't make more white ones, as they seem to always sell at double the speed, so latecomers in every round are limited to the black. 

7 hours ago, Jasetaylor said:

On a serious note white does appear to sell out faster each monthly regional Indeigogo stock allocation. The Niche Zero also appears to have been conceived, by design to be white, the reason for my hypothesis are the wooden appointments. Oak works well with the white finish IMO but not so much with the black finish which would have looked better (again IMO) with a darker wood such as walnut or mahogany. The black finish feels like an after thought which maintained the oak furniture due to cost. This is pure conjecture of course.

With all that said, I went with white which I found more aesthetically pleasing.

If I remember correctly, they started the crowd funding off with a white one. Then loads of people said "I want black", so they made it a £25 upgrade. But when enough people ordered it they took the £25 off and just made the both of them the same price. So yeah, I think white was the original colour 😊

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

One of the pictures on the Niche/Indiegogo site was lit in a way that made the body look grey - such that someone asked if they could order a grey one (you can’t - yet, but it did look good imho). 
I’d wager that it won’t be too long before people start after market modifying the Niche by spraying or powder coating the body in a whole variety of colours. 
To me personally, the black version looks less like a toilet than the white one - but maybe if I could get an after market wooden lid for my Niche . . .

Regards,
John

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

I am amazed no one has yet picked up a few rolls of that vinyl wrap stuff and knocked out a turquoise one!!

Another opportunity for you "crafty" ones.... what with all the other acronyms about we need a new one VWN has a ring about it?

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

In general, for appliances with zero preferences, I would typically go darker for the reason that darker colours are better protected from discolouring (e.g. from sunlight). 

That said, I went with a White Niche because it looks nicer in my kitchen.

19 minutes ago, Drewster said:

I am amazed no one has yet picked up a few rolls of that vinyl wrap stuff and knocked out a turquoise one!!

Not turquoise, but still.

118327735_2033590376774431_9023925221421688420_o.thumb.jpg.a039f0730de6d449fc92b1aace03cc56.jpg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, timb said:

I'd love to know how hard it was to do, looks like a perfect finish. How did you recreate the grind dial markers? 

lol - it was sooo easy to do: I just searched google for 'Linea Mini Niche Zero blue' and found that image (which I remembered seeing posted here on the forums in another context). I assumed it was photoshopped to this colour, not actually painted in reality, but maybe I am wrong?

• Haha 2

Should be a fairly straightforward powder coating job like with bikes. Would have to be stripped and sanded I suppose. But then any colour you can imagine! Vinyl is easier (although hell knows with these curves) but might look and feel cheap..

Gaggia Classic '96 (OPV mod / Rancilio wand/PID) + Niche Zero