Wisey

Airscape/fellows atom/coffee gator canister

Looking at canisters & these 3 caught my eye, the first 2 maybe more common than the gator.

all seem decent, anyone had bad experiences with any/reasons NOT to buy one? 

Just buy Airscape ............

I've tried the gator but moved them on as you can't expel the air in the canister.

Airscape metal or Ceramic.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

12 minutes ago, hubcap said:

Just buy Airscape ............

I've tried the gator but moved them on as you can't expel the air in the canister.

Eh, it's got a valve 

9 minutes ago, grumble said:

Eh, it's got a valve 

@grumble

I take it you mean the Gator  ?

Yes it's got a valve for expelling the gasses

But it does not expel the air in the canister

Posted (edited)

@hubcap

Ah sorry yeah was reading half asleep I meant the valve for expelling CO2. Personally I don't keep coffee for long enough for it ever to be an issue I don't think. I'd be interested to see if there is a blind taste test with vacuum sealed vs not.

Edited by grumble
  • Like 1

@hubcap

thanks, I’ve seen you sold some gators previously..how long did the valve things last/how much were replacements? 

atleast with airscape/atom they don’t need replacing 

@grumble

the real sprometheus did a test where he has the atom & had some beans in there which he roasted 2 months previously & he said they were still really good 

13 minutes ago, Wisey said:

@hubcap

thanks, I’ve seen you sold some gators previously..how long did the valve things last/how much were replacements? 

atleast with airscape/atom they don’t need replacing 

The valves were about £12 for 6 (Amazon) I didn't keep the canisters for long enough to change a valve (I did change when I sold them)

I much prefer the Airscape Ceramic as they do a better job (imo) and look cool as well.

I'm interested in the Fellow Atmos too. Not sure what size to get though. Was thinking about buying beans 1kg at a time for the best value, but would probably need 2 to be able to fit a kilo of beans in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Get the 1 kilo airscape

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I bought the 1kg metal painted one from BB, really good and I’m sure you could fit at least 1.2kg in if you packed it tight.

I use a white ceramic airscape, wood lid, really nice container! 👍 was interested in atmos 

• Like 2

BE - White niche - V60 - Joey custom tamper - WPM - Acaia lunar 

I have a metal airscape but the outer lid keeps popping up!!! Been like that since new. Reversed seal but still does it!!! Otherwise it’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drink more coffee more often. Then it doesn't matter about special storage solutions. 
Seriously, I think unless you are planning on keeping it around for more than a month then I'd probably just use a mason jar. 
I experimented with Vac packing etc. but I didn't find any better results from it.

La Pavoni Europiccola - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

Drink more coffee more often. Then it doesn't matter about special storage solutions. 
Seriously, I think unless you are planning on keeping it around for more than a month then I'd probably just use a mason jar. 
I experimented with Vac packing etc. but I didn't find any better results from it.
Do you think it's better to get 250g beans fresh each week, or 1kg at once using a tin to keep beans fresher?

Depends what you like I have 3 airscapes

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I've got two of the small Airscape Lights and they're pretty good. They hold 250g of beans with the plunger fully sealed but the top lid doesn't seat fully until you're down to around 220g. Not a problem though and they stack without issue. Main reason I chose them over the normal cylindrical versions was that the shape's more efficient for limited cupboard space. That, and they're about £10 cheaper.

• Like 1

Do not buy the large 1kilo plastic one not great for a kilo

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Posted (edited)

@mit_hirani - I have a small 250g ceramic airscape on the counter which I fill from the big 1kg metal one stored on top of a kitchen unit.

Means I can get the cheaper deals on buying bigger bags and shipping, but minimises the amount of air they are exposed to overall. Makes a difference to me in terms of how fresh they are.

Other people split them into 250g sealed packs to freeze them individually. 

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 3

@Northern_Monkey that's a good idea thanks. Will look to do something similar.

I now have 3 ceramic Airscapes,

One large for my favourite beans and 2 small for experimenting with different beans from different roasters.

Always on the lookout for a tasty brew.

Anyone else not recommend the 1kg plastic like jony? 

BB haven’t had large ceramic in stock for ages so was going to go for plastic