Just picked up a used Major for £200 off Gumtree, couple of years use in a small cafe. Overall very pleased with the machine and it's condition, and looking forwards to my MaraX arriving end of the month to fully test it out (I realise this is going to be a David and Goliath set up with the small machine and massive grinder)! In the meantime I plan to do some tinkering to keep me entertained. To that end, I’m looking for a bit of advice on a couple of points that I haven’t been able to pick up from previous threads (at least not yet anyway!);

1. She has a few dings, I’m thinking to give her a light sanding and respray in a pleasing shared of red with a lacquered finish. How much of the gubbins do people generally remove when re-spraying? I’m a bit worried about the side vents on the Major in terms of the potential for paint ingress, but I also know that removing the shell is a non-starter due to the need to bake it to get the motor out. How have others dealt with this?
  2. How are the badges fixed to the shell? Looks like they have some little tabs penetrating it, are they glued too? Just want to check before I go and prise them off for painting that there isn’t more to it.
  3. I appear to be missing the little “power on” light on the front. Has anyone seen this component for sale anywhere, or have an idea where I could source one? and any clues on the wiring for it? Otherwise the hole is destined to be filled…

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@the_keywork I bought mine from BB for my SJ refurb, they can make you spade connectors for a bit more if required.

I think they have a habit of breaking off the plastic outside bit and sitting inside the grinder body. Wizz off the feet and bottom plate to check the wiring. Obvs do when unplugged and watch the charge in the capacitor.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/green-indicator-lamp.html

Wiring diagram on old thread.

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 1

1. Superjollys need baking majors and royals do not

2. 2 tiny pins on the badge casting are I think an interference fit ....go carefully when prising off badge

3. Common if old fashioned panel lamp probably all over ebay. Check the Mazzer price and picture, next try ebay then RS for best match at price You might find and led alternate if interested

I have the rewiring diagrams that I did on my computer if they are needed now that Tinypic has failed me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_keywork said:

Just picked up a used Major for £200 off Gumtree, couple of years use in a small cafe. Overall very pleased with the machine and it's condition, and looking forwards to my MaraX arriving end of the month to fully test it out (I realise this is going to be a David and Goliath set up with the small machine and massive grinder)! In the meantime I plan to do some tinkering to keep me entertained. To that end, I’m looking for a bit of advice on a couple of points that I haven’t been able to pick up from previous threads (at least not yet anyway!);

1. She has a few dings, I’m thinking to give her a light sanding and respray in a pleasing shared of red with a lacquered finish. How much of the gubbins do people generally remove when re-spraying? I’m a bit worried about the side vents on the Major in terms of the potential for paint ingress, but I also know that removing the shell is a non-starter due to the need to bake it to get the motor out. How have others dealt with this?
  2. How are the badges fixed to the shell? Looks like they have some little tabs penetrating it, are they glued too? Just want to check before I go and prise them off for painting that there isn’t more to it.
  3. I appear to be missing the little “power on” light on the front. Has anyone seen this component for sale anywhere, or have an idea where I could source one? and any clues on the wiring for it? Otherwise the hole is destined to be filled…

Thanks a lot!

I recently refurbed one, linked the thread below. In answer to your questions:

1; Sand it down, body filler dinks and wet sand it down to get a nice finish, make sure you acid etch prime it (UPOL-8 I used), as it's aluminium, then put your top coat(s) on. I unplugged most of the stuff and taped up holes i could internally and packed around the motor with paper to prevent spraying onto the motor.

2; Badges aren't glued, a well placed small screwdriver will sort it out - at least it did with me.

3; Can't comment on the power light, mine was working.

Are you going to make it doserless or keep the doser? If you keep the doser, then make sure you do the heat shrink mod which was the brainchild of @jimbojohn55

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast advice on this everyone!

@Northern_Monkey - I'll scope out whether the lamp has dropped inside. Thanks for wiring diagram and cap tip too!

@grumpydaddy - good tip on the LED. I'll size it up and double check the alternatives.

Enjoying reading your thread @Cooffe and also the incredibly well docmented effirts of @jimbojohn55. I've ordered one of the mentioned lens hood's already so I can lose the hopper. Curious if he's still making the splendid looking hopper lids to fit!?

I'm keen to ditch the doser, given it's coming off for the respray anyway and I would like to get the machine looking a bit slimmer. Plus one less thing to worry about keeping clean. I was planning to get one of the kits from Daniel Wong, but looks like he may be out of stock (and I may have a bit of a wait on postage either way), so I might have to stick the doser back on for a whlie unless anyone have any good alternatives to point me in the direction of?

In terms of paint, how is the experience of acrylic based car paints for the top coat (presuming it will want some clear lacquer coats on top too)? I'm a touch nervous about how easily I can achieve the desired level of finish, especially in a glossy red.  I think some experimentation might be in order before I let loose on the grinder.

Will try and keep this documented and share my progress.

• Like 1

Shelf octopus funnel ,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

@the_keywork - Second the octopus funnel! 🐙 

Great excuse to buy a dremel, I know the sweeper mods are pretty common but I wasn’t keen on trying it given the extra brushing/cleaning it would require...

• Like 1

Still contemplating on the  octo funnel mod! I was hoping for a solution that would result in a slimmer profile. However, sounds like Daniel isn't going to be able to get any kits out for a while due to a personal complication having mailed him. My other hesitation on the funnel mod is cutting a custom backplate, which I could see a lot of room for error on! Probably need to make a decision one way or the other before reaching of the paint.

In other nrews, my lens hood arrived today - QQ, for majors, looks like folks are insert some plastic tube like the below. What thickness and diameter work best on a Major? (and roughly what length are people cutting off at, though I can of course stick it in and mark it up to get it just above the adjustment collar)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-inch-Lengths-5mm-to-180mm-Clear-Plastic-Acrylic-Perspex-Tube-Rigid-Pipe/201551693609?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

So, took a bit longer to complete this than expected thanks to a very busy period with work, and without much time to spare to take progress pics. However, I must say I'm very pleased with the results - both visually and in the cup. No comparison between this and the Sage Smart Grinder Pro it has replaced in my lineup, once dialled in you can immediately taste the smoothness and consistency of the grind. Huge thanks for all the info of those gone before that was a great resource throughout.

Open to opinions on whether to re-instate the "Espresso Italiano" decals on the sides - what do people think?