Alex Duetto II steam boiler condition + insulation ideas

Same thing happened to me with an anti vac valve. I also panicked. The screw extractors noted above on an electric drill whizzed it out in no time at all. Just use the right size to get into the innards and make a good grip.

I used this set, multiple sizes for choice.

https://www.toolstation.com/screw-bolt-extractor-set/p51010?store=FH&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDIUJtWeqGTBLlrX9ihSAOHZgT__pZNDEHfZ2wDy7VZkBVkav7-KEuEaAlJIEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Posted (edited)

Yes! Thanks @Mark70 and thanks @NJD1977 for those ideas. Had a go with various drill bits and screw heads I could find then finally tried an allen key fitting and hammered it for a tight fit and was able to unscrew it! Phew 😅

IMG_9006.thumb.jpeg.7dbe2e312f7371574c94e479bb8de49b.jpeg

Edited by Gordonac
  • Like 2

Izzo Alex Duetto II - Compak E5 - VST baskets - bottomless portafilter

Yea this look like a great idea! Thanks! I wonder if I could hammer in something like that, that I've got....
Don't hammer anything in, you'll increase the stress on the thread and risk jamming it in even further. Honestly just buy the screw extractors they're brilliant.
  • Thanks 1

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Whoops, juust a few minutes too late @NJD1977. I haven't checked the thread but I hope it's ok. I cant see any obvious signs of damage. But I'll remember that for next time 👍

Thanks for all the swift replies @Jony, @Mark7and @NJD1977. New things learned and thankfully not the disaster I first thought! Now I need a new adapter then we'll be back on the road and hopefully have it up and running in a few days!

Cheers,

Gordon

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Edit: All sorted now - apparently I need it to a 1/8" Bella Barista are kindly sending me the new one for free after I made contact. 

After shearing the safety valve reducer ( part on the right of the photo) I managed to get it out and bought a new part on the advice of Bella Barista (I'm not sure I needed the safety valve just the reducer but nevermind). However, the part they advised is too big. See photo for sizes. My old part is on the right. Bella Barista say the reducer they sent me reduces from 3/8" to 1/4" Is this true? I don't know much about thread sizes but it looks much bigger than 1/4" Is there something I'm missing here??

467328654_Annotation2020-08-28155220.thumb.jpg.555c776357063257ec16cd2d50e6e77e.jpg

1502363543_Annotation2020-08-28155016.thumb.jpg.9be34df9193f62eefe5667b530e43088.jpg

Would anyone know where to find the part I need?  I think I just need a reducer, but have no idea of the sizes!

Edited by Gordonac
Add more detail

Just use the new bottom bit, and you should of soaked the old bit in Citric over night, I broke the same nut doing the same thing🤣

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Yea, I've soaked it and cleaned it all up. Bella Barista kindly offered to send me the correct fitting for free after I sent the photo showing this. Turns out its a 1/8", which I can't understand as it looks like a 1/4" in the photo! 

Yea it makes sense having seen how much it reduces.

What's your thoughts on using the machine but just the brew boiler not the steam boiler and just putting a nut in it until the new fitting arrives. Would that work?

As a rough guide / rule of thumb, with B S P threads- measure the O/A Diameter of the THREADED male part, deduct a 1/4 " this will be the size required

Eg.  male threaded fitting measures  3 /4 "   deduct 1 /4 "= the size you require is 1 /2" B S P.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

You could blank off the steam boiler with a bolt + PTFE and isolate the steam boiler switch.   BUT you will need a BSP threaded. plug or bolt to use.  DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BOLT ? THREAD

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gordonac said:

Yea, I've soaked it and cleaned it all up. Bella Barista kindly offered to send me the correct fitting for free after I sent the photo showing this. Turns out its a 1/8", which I can't understand as it looks like a 1/4" in the photo! 

Yea it makes sense having seen how much it reduces.

What's your thoughts on using the machine but just the brew boiler not the steam boiler and just putting a nut in it until the new fitting arrives. Would that work?

Just wait. I have a Vesuvius 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

2 hours ago, El carajillo said:

As a rough guide / rule of thumb, with B S P threads- measure the O/A Diameter of the THREADED male part, deduct a 1/4 " this will be the size required

Eg.  male threaded fitting measures  3 /4 "   deduct 1 /4 "= the size you require is 1 /2" B S P.

Hope this helps.

Ah right, thanks for the info @NJD1977. Had no idea about that! This is turning out to be a good learning experience! Thankfully it doesn't appear to have completely ruined the machine. I tried getting some bolts but none of them worked. The M6 and M8 were too thin and the M10 thread seemed to fit but the distance between the threads was too large so it didnt screw in easily and I didn't want to force it!

• 2 weeks later...

Final update for this thread. The machine is all up and running now! Working well so far (fingers crossed). Here are some photos before and after (minus the new valve as I took this before I installed it):

Picture1.thumb.jpg.2fc15e7fa372c2b143e92f2e0ab746c9.jpg

And here it is with its new insulation, looking much better than those first photos!

611989056_Annotation2020-09-08185713.thumb.jpg.8a20488f84916a6bba10450caa9229ab.jpg

I didn't manage to get the boiler heating elements out as I didn't have a impact driver and didn't fancy trying to wrench it off! But I will keep an eye on how they go, and now that I have more confidence in getting the boilers out I will give that a go as and when it becomes necessary. This was a good enough adventure for me for now! 

Also, I have loads of the pond insulation left if anyone needs any. Will put it up on the for sale section at some point. 

Huge thanks for all the support and advice from all the people who took the time to post and answer my queries: @DavecUK   @Jony  @NJD1977 @El carajillo @Mark70

Great community spirit 😀

• Like 2

Glad all is well and  machine just keeps going 😎

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE