Coffee Forums banner

Alex Duetto II steam boiler condition + insulation ideas

5K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Mrb2020 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I've been getting 'under the hood' of my Duetto II this weekend. Originally to solve the slow steam boiler fill up, but I've been having a look around I can see some build up ( I think calcium?) on the bottom of the steam boiler where the heating elements enter. So I was wondering if anyone had seen this or knows about it? Should I be concerned? Is it a sign of the seal failing maybe?

I've also got to sort out the insulation on the boiler as a lot of it has solidified and is crumbling away. I read @DavecUK blog about this using the snow skirt tree (http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/insulating-the-boiler-on-an-izzo-alex) but since that product doesn't look readily available he suggested to another blogger about using the pond liner (http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/boiler-insulation-duetto-steam-boiler). Is this still a good option, has anyone got any experience with this? I can easily find pond liner, but is there any thing I need to be aware of when buying it?

Thanks, Gordon

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Engineering Wood

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Heating element gasket is probably leaking, might be on warm up might be all the time, as is another fitting to the left of it (which can be left until it gets worse probably), unless it's got some liquid from the heating element leak. Use an impact driver to get the heating element off safely.

Pond fleece is great for that application. I used the thickish grey variety, but green would no doubt work.

This quality but smaller amount of course

https://www.amazon.co.uk/16m²-pond-fleece-500g-protection/dp/B00IMJ9G42

https://www.swicofil.com/commerce/products/polypropylene/191/properties

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks @DavecUK. There's no water leaking out the bottom as I have placed blue paper towel on warm up to look for this. So I'm guessing it is either a small leak during normal operation. Still, better to get it sorted. I've found a Izzo boiler gasket on Belle Barista https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/izzo-pompei-boiler-gasket-tf18.html but it seems quite big from the photo, 14cm diameter. Is this the right one?

When I had the Gaggia Classic, there was a seals service kit on eBay that had a detailed schematic of all the seal locations. I had a look for one for this machine but couldn't find something similar. Is there any schematics about seals/gasket sizes for this machine? Or any good websites to buy seals/gaskets from?

Good to know about the pond insulation, I'll see if I can get my hands on some. Maybe anyone reading this knows anyone with some small cut offs..!??

#7 ·
I don't think so, or if you did the guy who picked it up may have forgotten to pass it on. But do you know any places to get them? I'm thinking I could do some research and pick a few standard sizes

#8 ·
#13 ·
Thanks @El carajillo having a difficult time trying to find the gasket along with its dimensions. Only place I could find it was clive coffee in USA! So I am going to leave the gasket replacement until it becomes more serious. At the moment there is no obvious leaking on warm up nor during operation, so I will keep a close eye and see how it develops.

In the meantime, I've ordered the pond fleece and will get on with adding that.

Thanks for all the help

#16 ·
Thanks @Jony yea it will be good to get one ready, I've worked out what Viton means now! Not done much of this before! @El carajillo you said to check first, but do you mean by taking the old gasket off or looking it up on the web - if it's looking it up on the web, I've tried and can't find it yet, do you know where you can find that sort of information? Also don't have an impact driver, so I think I'll cause more issues by trying to replace it at the mo, and if it's not leaking then hopefully what @Nikko said is true and the seal will be good for longer.

Pond liber is arriving Tuesday next week, so looking forward to getting that on. Will let you know how I get on!

#18 ·
I just found where I bought mine from was on ebay, will dig the link out. Order viton first then sort it.

Just double check it's 3mm I've forgotten

View attachment 41119
Oh right, that's a lot cheaper than I thought! Is it easy to cut with simple tools like Stanley knife or even scissors? I'm guessing I'd just use the old gasket as a template? Just looking at the photo it looks bit thicker, but does it matter? Looks like you just tigheten to the gasket

#21 ·
Sad news regarding the instalment of the new insulation. Finally got round to taking it all apart, giving the parts a good clean and putting the insulation on. Then, on reassembly, the safety valve that screws into the top of the steam boiler has sheared off with the threaded part still in boiler (see the photos). Needless to say, I'm gutted! So bloody close!

My idea is to try and freeze a rod and then put it in and hope it expands enough to be able to twist the thread , but I'm doubtful it'll work.

Has anyone got any other ideas or is it as I fear.... having to buy a whole new boiler?

White Vertebrate Wood Rim Gas
Electrical wiring Wood Engineering Tool Wire

Attachments

#26 ·
Same thing happened to me with an anti vac valve. I also panicked. The screw extractors noted above on an electric drill whizzed it out in no time at all. Just use the right size to get into the innards and make a good grip.

I used this set, multiple sizes for choice.

https://www.toolstation.com/screw-bolt-extractor-set/p51010?store=FH&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDIUJtWeqGTBLlrX9ihSAOHZgT__pZNDEHfZ2wDy7VZkBVkav7-KEuEaAlJIEALw_wcB

Reactions: Gordonac
#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes! Thanks @Mark70 and thanks @NJD1977 for those ideas. Had a go with various drill bits and screw heads I could find then finally tried an allen key fitting and hammered it for a tight fit and was able to unscrew it! Phew 😅

Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Household hardware Jewellery

Attachments

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit: All sorted now - apparently I need it to a 1/8" Bella Barista are kindly sending me the new one for free after I made contact.

After shearing the safety valve reducer ( part on the right of the photo) I managed to get it out and bought a new part on the advice of Bella Barista (I'm not sure I needed the safety valve just the reducer but nevermind). However, the part they advised is too big. See photo for sizes. My old part is on the right. Bella Barista say the reducer they sent me reduces from 3/8" to 1/4" Is this true? I don't know much about thread sizes but it looks much bigger than 1/4" Is there something I'm missing here??

Ruler Office ruler Circuit component Wood Household hardware

Wood Font Household hardware Cylinder Gas

Would anyone know where to find the part I need? I think I just need a reducer, but have no idea of the sizes!

Attachments

#33 ·
Yea, I've soaked it and cleaned it all up. Bella Barista kindly offered to send me the correct fitting for free after I sent the photo showing this. Turns out its a 1/8", which I can't understand as it looks like a 1/4" in the photo!

Yea it makes sense having seen how much it reduces.

What's your thoughts on using the machine but just the brew boiler not the steam boiler and just putting a nut in it until the new fitting arrives. Would that work?

#36 ·
Yea, I've soaked it and cleaned it all up. Bella Barista kindly offered to send me the correct fitting for free after I sent the photo showing this. Turns out its a 1/8", which I can't understand as it looks like a 1/4" in the photo!

Yea it makes sense having seen how much it reduces.

What's your thoughts on using the machine but just the brew boiler not the steam boiler and just putting a nut in it until the new fitting arrives. Would that work?
Just wait. I have a Vesuvius 🤣🤣

#37 ·
As a rough guide / rule of thumb, with B S P threads- measure the O/A Diameter of the THREADED male part, deduct a 1/4 " this will be the size required

Eg. male threaded fitting measures 3 /4 " deduct 1 /4 "= the size you require is 1 /2" B S P.

Hope this helps.
Ah right, thanks for the info @NJD1977. Had no idea about that! This is turning out to be a good learning experience! Thankfully it doesn't appear to have completely ruined the machine. I tried getting some bolts but none of them worked. The M6 and M8 were too thin and the M10 thread seemed to fit but the distance between the threads was too large so it didnt screw in easily and I didn't want to force it!

#38 ·
Final update for this thread. The machine is all up and running now! Working well so far (fingers crossed). Here are some photos before and after (minus the new valve as I took this before I installed it):

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware

And here it is with its new insulation, looking much better than those first photos!

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine

I didn't manage to get the boiler heating elements out as I didn't have a impact driver and didn't fancy trying to wrench it off! But I will keep an eye on how they go, and now that I have more confidence in getting the boilers out I will give that a go as and when it becomes necessary. This was a good enough adventure for me for now!

Also, I have loads of the pond insulation left if anyone needs any. Will put it up on the for sale section at some point.

Huge thanks for all the support and advice from all the people who took the time to post and answer my queries: @DavecUK @Jony @NJD1977 @El carajillo @Mark70

Great community spirit 😀

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.