Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpu55

Slow/drip feeding/grinding beans observations

Recommended Posts

Following the James Hoffman videos has any body else tried it. Using my Feld47 hand grinder the difference is huge. From putting 3 grams in  6 times (my teaspoon) compared to a full 18 grams in one go shot time goes from 36 seconds up to 1 minute. It is obviously a right faff with a hand grinder but its easier to grind but I have to grind so much finer the few beans I use. I only make 1-2 drinks a day so not the end of the world, I was just looking to improve my window of generating a better shot. Taste wise I am finish up on some old beans but have some James Gourmet degassing at the mo but  tastes good to me. Anybody else tried it. 


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bagpu55 said:

Following the James Hoffman videos has any body else tried it. Using my Feld47 hand grinder the difference is huge. From putting 3 grams in  6 times (my teaspoon) compared to a full 18 grams in one go shot time goes from 36 seconds up to 1 minute. It is obviously a right faff with a hand grinder but its easier to grind but I have to grind so much finer the few beans I use. I only make 1-2 drinks a day so not the end of the world, I was just looking to improve my window of generating a better shot. Taste wise I am finish up on some old beans but have some James Gourmet degassing at the mo but  tastes good to me. Anybody else tried it. 

Apart from the resulting differences in shot times, is it actually resulting in tastes differences.


I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't heard of people doing that with a hand grinder, but certainly when you single dose an electric, or when the hopper is nearly empty, it is normally observable that it gets coarser and you have to tighten up to get the right grind or maintain the shot time. With electric grinders, many people who don't single dose go to great lengths to avoid this problem, e.g. acrylic tube hoppers with 50mm ball bearings, so that there is always pressure behind the beans. I'm curious to know what the advantages are of deliberately invoking this unstable state of affairs 6x in one shot. Interesting that doing this actually increases your shot time rather than decreases as I would have thought.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Apart from the resulting differences in shot times, is it actually resulting in tastes differences.

I've only been doing it a week and I've only really got my prep dialled in. I would say it helps me get better shots on a more regular basis than prior and a change in grind is a marginal tastable difference from that of prior. So helps me adjust based on flavour. More consistent I would say.


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hotmetal said:

Haven't heard of people doing that with a hand grinder, but certainly when you single dose an electric, or when the hopper is nearly empty, it is normally observable that it gets coarser and you have to tighten up to get the right grind or maintain the shot time. With electric grinders, many people who don't single dose go to great lengths to avoid this problem, e.g. acrylic tube hoppers with 50mm ball bearings, so that there is always pressure behind the beans. I'm curious to know what the advantages are of deliberately invoking this unstable state of affairs 6x in one shot. Interesting that doing this actually increases your shot time rather than decreases as I would have thought.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the issue is when using all your beans the grinder doesnot clear/eject the grounds easily as they are backing up so effectively some are being reground again. Putting fewer in means they are ground and cleared before more are put in. Hence using more beans causes finer grinds and longer timed shots


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bagpu55 said:

Following the James Hoffman videos has any body else tried it. Using my Feld47 hand grinder the difference is huge. From putting 3 grams in  6 times (my teaspoon) compared to a full 18 grams in one go shot time goes from 36 seconds up to 1 minute. It is obviously a right faff with a hand grinder but its easier to grind but I have to grind so much finer the few beans I use. I only make 1-2 drinks a day so not the end of the world, I was just looking to improve my window of generating a better shot. Taste wise I am finish up on some old beans but have some James Gourmet degassing at the mo but  tastes good to me. Anybody else tried it. 

Sorry, you grind finer & the shots take longer? Isn't that expected however many beans you feed in?


“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

 

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MWJB said:

Sorry, you grind finer & the shots take longer? Isn't that expected however many beans you feed in?

Yes and no, if you grind them both at the same setting the grind size is different between them. The full 18gram in one go grind much finer than the ones that are drip fed in. As for uniformity of the grind I have no idea and which is better who knows. Anyway just my observations and didnt know if anyone else had tried it following that video. Worth a watch.


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bagpu55 said:

Yes and no, if you grind them both at the same setting the grind size is different between them. The full 18gram in one go grind much finer than the ones that are drip fed in. As for uniformity of the grind I have no idea and which is better who knows. Anyway just my observations and didnt know if anyone else had tried it following that video. Worth a watch.

I did watch it, I didn't recall any conclusions?


“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

 

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MWJB said:

I did watch it, I didn't recall any conclusions?

No no conclusions. Just for enthusiasts to try and see what their experience is.


Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...