Experimental/funky beans

Holy Hippo you're not kidding! I like KTH and drink in there (when they were open) but I'll have to wait till my boss stops deducting the Covid19 (borrow from overworked employees to buy out competitors) fee from my wages before I start spending nearly fifty per key! 

I've had my eye on this from Rave though... Anyone tried it?

Colombia Monteverde 'Yellow' Natural
Another delicious and bonkers natural! If you like to get on down with the deep deep Funk, this will be right up your street.

This lot is his 'yellow' natural, which means it had an extended fermentation of 80 hours. With that in mind, expect super funky notes of rum-raisin, tropical bubblegum, stewed banana and funky berry!

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/colombia-monteverde-caturra-natural?variant=34422552264872

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah ,just checked it out. Sounds good. Also there's an Extended Fermentation version of it:

Colombia Villamaria (Extended Fermentation)
https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/colombia-villamaria-ferment72 Is there a discount code for Rave lying around?

Gaggia Classic '96 (OPV mod / Rancilio wand/PID) + Niche Zero

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey. To my surprise I couldn't find a thread here on all things experimental (anaerobic, yeast inoculation, thick layering etc). I'm all about the funk these days and nothing else excites me somehow.

Not the same Jollybean I’m afraid @MildredM.  The roastery half hinched my name but they do nice coffee so I forgive them 😀

We have a Black Honey process Honduras that might float your boat arriving next week. Oh and a rather lovely fermented Colombia too.  

Posted Images

I'm currently on my second bag of this: https://www.girlwithaportafilter.com/shop/p/tanzania-cima and it's flipping lovely. 

It was a partly sentimental purchase since my dad worked in Tanzania for a few years and waxed lyrical about Ngorongoro, so I bought it to toast him on what would've been his 80th birthday. I don't think my tastebuds have much truck with sentiment though. Served some to a mate (without the backstory) and he loved it too. 

• Like 2

Ah we know Jollybean on here. I think he was a member before he started the roasting business. I've had stuff from him that I enjoyed very much. 

Back to my post from 17th Sep, I finally gave in and ordered a key of the crazy yellow stuff from Rave, and it turned up today. Only roasted on 22nd so too early for espresso, but I couldn't resist an early doors aeropress. It's mental! Big beans, through 1st crack, but still light-ish and rather than the 'blueberry, strawberry milkshake, lime' you get with an Ethiopian natural, this is like a tropical fruit punch! Stewed banana, berry funk and tropical bubblegum it says on the packet. I've never seen tropical bubblegum so I can't say, but I can see what they mean and it hit all the tasting notes. Smells rather "farmy" mind you, not for the faint hearted. Really enjoying it so far, as an aeropress that's been allowed to cool for a few mins. 12:225 inverted method, no bloom, 4 minutes start to finish, 1.10 on the Aergrind. 

• Like 4

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

33 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

Ah we know Jollybean on here. I think he was a member before he started the roasting business.

Is this 'our' @Jollybean though - there's Jollybean AND JollyBeanRoastery. I am jolly muddled now!!

On 23/09/2020 at 07:03, Jez H said:

Funky stewed fruits anyone? This is my local roaster who works, literally, 200 yards from my work in historic Saltaire. Top bloke too. Just ordered a bag of these:

https://jollybeanroastery.co.uk/beanery-1/new-ethiopia-bookkisa

Blueberry, banana and maple syrup?! Sounds like some banging pancake recipe right there... 

Also, I want a picture of this...! "Great in filter or drink it straight from your portafilter as espresso (don’t even bother with the cup, just put your head under the machine)"

• Haha 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Thanks for the mentions above :) - I've been a little... very quiet on here the last few years, opened up a shop and coffee bar, along with a new roaster and times got away from me! 

The Bookkisa has gone down really well, daresay perhaps my new favourite natural replacing Rocko Mountain of years past! (Although got a Mustefa Abaneko natural lot I need to profile, should be a good'un). Anyway if you also like beer, you miiight like this:

https://www.saltbeerfactory.co.uk/product/guji/

We had a cheeky collab with a local craft brewery to make a coffee IPA. We took a hazy new england kviek yeast IPA and basically cold brewed it with the Bookkisa, I was a little worried how it would work out, but turns out funky naturals and beer go well together! 

Edited by JollyBeanRoastery
  • Like 2
http://www.jollybeanroastery.co.uk - 10% Off for CFUK - CFORUMUK code at checkout

Gotta say, that Mexican whiskey witchcraft bean is damn good. I couldn't wait the recommended week+ as I (again) ran out of beans but still...it's very funky even through milk. And the smoky barrel definitely comes through. Also ran it through v60 but feel like I need to adjust a few things (grind, dosage, maybe a different filter or all of the above). Was funky but a tad bitter. 

On 24/09/2020 at 19:38, jaffro said:

Blueberry, banana and maple syrup?! Sounds like some banging pancake recipe right there... 

Also, I want a picture of this...! "Great in filter or drink it straight from your portafilter as espresso (don’t even bother with the cup, just put your head under the machine)"

Also have a bag of the 'Ethiopia - Bookkisa' turning up - should be here in a few days!

Edited by MSM

Work: Fracino Cherub (OPV mod), La Pavoni Europiccola (with added pressure gauge), Brazen Plus, V60, Aeropress, Mazzer Royal (titanium burrs), Compak K3 Touch, Gold finger 58.55 Sharp Edge, Reg Barber 58.35mm C-Ripple...

Home: Gaggia Classic (PID, and usual mods), Mazzer Super Jolly (and usual mods), Torr Goldfinger Convex 58.4mm, Torr 58.4mm Soft Convex Ebony XS "Vintage Brass"...

Picked up some of the Uncle Funka from Extract recently as there was a bonus 30% discount deal. It’s a kiln dried natural process and undoubtedly the most pungent bag of beans i’ve opened, only had a little sample but it’s a worthy contender in this thread for sure. So boozy it feels a bit wrong drinking it in the morning 🤪

Got the latest update from Crankhouse today and wish I could splash out on all five of their new beans...wtf is an experimental thermal shock process!  (Ok, it’s quite complicated and no doubt justifies the premium!) 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Stu Beck said:

Picked up some of the Uncle Funka from Extract recently as there was a bonus 30% discount deal. It’s a kiln dried natural process and undoubtedly the most pungent bag of beans i’ve opened, only had a little sample but it’s a worthy contender in this thread for sure. So boozy it feels a bit wrong drinking it in the morning 🤪

Got the latest update from Crankhouse today and wish I could splash out on all five of their new beans...wtf is an experimental thermal shock process!  (Ok, it’s quite complicated and no doubt justifies the premium!) 

I was eyeing that one. Might pick it up next, the price is super decent too.

Crankhouse is on an anaerobic rampage or so it seems. A banger after banger. Although those new beans are a bit on the 'spensive side 🌚

That crazy yellow one from Rave is interesting. I'm quite into the FSOL (funkier side of life?) but it's almost too weird even for me. I've been drinking it as aeropress and tbh it doesn't even feel like I'm drinking 'coffee' at all. A very light and fruity brew with a strong funky overlay. Strangely compelling, although a bit much for the first cup of the day.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried it but Crankhouse have a few interesting looking beans on at the moment. Can't justify buying any more beans right now, the freezer is already full. The beans I've had from Crankhouse before have all been good.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SDM said:

I haven't tried it but Crankhouse have a few interesting looking beans on at the moment. Can't justify buying any more beans right now, the freezer is already full. The beans I've had from Crankhouse before have all been good.

Well, I'm going to take the plunge and order some up on pay day next week. I'll report back when I've brewed with 'em.

• Like 1
On 17/10/2020 at 15:10, winterlight said:

Anyone tried the anaerobic Santa Petrona Bourbon from Crankhouse? I've been meaning to try some Crankhouse beans for a while and thought these sounded pretty interesting. Thanks!

Had one in the freezer since august (3rd bag). Enjoying it now. Funny thing, I remember the funkiness being more pronounced with my older grinder. Weird. Still, one of my favourite beans this year ✌️

• Like 1