Experimental/funky beans

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey. To my surprise I couldn't find a thread here on all things experimental (anaerobic, yeast inoculation, thick layering etc). I'm all about the funk these days and nothing else excites me somehow.

Ah we know Jollybean on here. I think he was a member before he started the roasting business. I've had stuff from him that I enjoyed very much.  Back to my post from 17th Sep, I finally gave in

So I can report back on a couple...  Crankhouse's Colombia XO is the weirdest but potentially greatest bean I've tried. It's literally punch of funky rum with fruity notes in the background. I lo

Posted Images

This sounds like it would be interesting to certain people in this thread - https://www.crankhousecoffee.co.uk/products/santa-petrona-pacamara
Also, did anyone try these when barrel aged beans when they were 30% off last week - https://www.crafthousecoffee.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/mexico-guada-lupe-zaju

If I did not have around 5k of beans in my freezer, a kilo turning up tomorrow and some LSOL roaster samples coming I would be all over these
Love Petrona and just got another batch of it. Missed out on the Mexican though.

Gaggia Classic '96 (OPV mod / Rancilio wand/PID) + Niche Zero

Right, so received the barrel-aged Craft House beans yesterday, and gave them ago this morning. Had them as espresso... probably a bit early (roasted 31/08), and could notice they were still degasing. Anyway, for what it's worth, my first impression is that the barrel aging did gave the beans some oaky flavours, which I can definitely recognise as newish oak. It's not "in your face", but there is a noticeable vanilla-ish flavour going on. Didn't find it particularly boozy though, definitely much less than some (non barrel-aged) naturals!

Haven't really fully dialed it in though, so my perception might evolve. So far I'd say, interesting as a novelty, not as full on as I feared, but nothing to write home about either. Happy to have tried it though!

• Like 1
Ok, I know, I’ve mentioned these before. But just picked up my 2nd bag on the bounce, something I never do, they are that good. All for £8.50. Experimental, yes. Funky, yes. Win win!!

https://www.northstarroast.com/product/honduras/

Is it £8.5 in-store or there's a code? Anything else worth picking up to justify shipping?

Oh and how are you drinking it?

Got a sample of Colonna's limited release rare beans included with my subscription. They are excellent! Super sweet! I think they're pushing it a bit with the eucalyptus tasting note but there is a real 'freshness' to it! 

IMG_20200829_091510.jpg

• Like 1

Espresso - Sage DB. Niche Zero.

Brewed - Lido E. Aeropress. v60. CCD. French Press

1 hour ago, Zeak said:

Is it £8.5 in-store or there's a code? Anything else worth picking up to justify shipping?

Oh and how are you drinking it?

Sorry, bought from my local cafe, so no code.

always Aeropress Zeak. Bean of the year for me.

• Like 1
Got a sample of Colonna's limited release rare beans included with my subscription. They are excellent! Super sweet! I think they're pushing it a bit with the eucalyptus tasting note but there is a real 'freshness' to it! 
IMG_20200829_091510.thumb.jpg.2d2448d49d6c467ef05f9d48c1410b09.jpg
Sounds really great. Lacto-bacteria process is usually super funky. Never tried colonna before.

31 minutes ago, nufc1 said:

IMG_20200829_091510.jpg

Lovely beans these. Had them same ones last month through LSOL roasted by  Carvetii 

• Like 1
On 28/08/2020 at 09:37, Zeak said:

Ok so Santa Petrona smells like an adventure. Can't wait to try. Putting Pacamara through presso now. Not boozy at all (despite being anaerobic) but sweet and oh so no nice.db4ac45ad49171d043bb05a53b8a286e.jpg

PS can I just say that Crankhouse has the best tactile packaging experience. That sandpapery plastic is super cool.

So which variety do you prefer @Zeak ? 

Definitely the Bourbon one as it's more pronounced. As the label says, boozy and hoppy. Interestingly it has a (slightly) lower cupping score. If you like funky stuff, that's the one to go out of two.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeak said:
7 minutes ago, Stu Beck said:

Definitely the Bourbon one as it's more pronounced. As the label says, boozy and hoppy. Interestingly it has a (slightly) lower cupping score. If you like funky stuff, that's the one to go out of two.

Nice one. Think I’d be tempted to get the bundle deal if there’s any left at the end of the month...

IMG_20200829_091510.thumb.jpg.2d2448d49d6c467ef05f9d48c1410b09.jpg
Was in there this morning and had that. Only after drinking it did I realise it was the LSOL from last month (Carvettii)!

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Finally got round to trying the Colombia Villa Esperanza Carbonic Maceration Geisha from Horsham, and wow, that sure is a weird one! Had it as a V60, and it was full on peach aromas and flavours, from the opening of the bag to the cup.

I forgot to "purge" my grinder before moving on to brewing an espresso with a different bean. I don't know how much retention there was but probably not loads (it's a Monolith), although you tend to have a little bit more when making large adjustments to grind size. And whatever was left  fro the Villa Esperanza in the grinder completely overpowered the taste of the espresso I pulled next! That's how strong it is.

I can't say I didn't like it, but it's a bit full on. I'm used to a little more subtlety from geshas... but really something to be smelled/tasted to believe it!

• Like 1

Anyone else get Standart magazine? This is the sample that came with it this month. Can't see it on Origin's website at all though! 

IMG_20200910_141730.jpg

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

On 10/09/2020 at 14:23, jaffro said:

Anyone else get Standart magazine? This is the sample that came with it this month. Can't see it on Origin's website at all though! 

IMG_20200910_141730.jpg

Got this too! Looks very interesting! I was a little disappointed it was a British roaster this quarter but the coffee may make up for it! 

• Like 1

Bought my first a dark arts coffee after tasting at my local cafe -very special and, yes, white wine fermentation does give it a real acidic wine kick. An intense coffee; not one for everyday drinking! 

IMG_20200911_172011.jpg

• Like 1
Bought my first a dark arts coffee after tasting at my local cafe -very special and, yes, white wine fermentation does give it a real acidic wine kick. An intense coffee; not one for everyday drinking! 
IMG_20200911_172011.thumb.jpg.1f5671c2e1308450bb31b30957499e2a.jpg
Oh damn, never thought properly checking them out. Good shout. Is it a seasonal/limited run bean or they usually have it? Can't buy any more atm.

Yeah, once you get a whiff of that funkiness there's no turning back haha. Although, as you say, it's not an everyday day appeal. I stored another bag of Crankhouse's for when my Niche arrives in November to see if there's any difference and ordered some blends for everyday use from Artisan just to take a break, cleanse the pallette.

3 hours ago, Nicd said:

Got this too! Looks very interesting! I was a little disappointed it was a British roaster this quarter but the coffee may make up for it! 

Yeah agreed! It does sound interesting for sure. 

Planning to cup all the coffees I have in at the moment later this afternoon. I'll include this one 😊

Did you get the one from onyx last month? It was incredible... One of my top coffees of the year. But dlshoppibg from the US was extortionate, so guess I won't be trying those beans again! 

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

https://shop.cartwheelcoffee.com/collections/coffee/products/honduras-francis-arturo-romero

Honduras Francis Arturo Romero

Profile: Strawberry, Rum, Overripe Banana, Sherry

Process: 72hr Macerated Natural

• Like 1
   /\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'

Getcho wallets out.

This is our second coffee from Jairo Arcilla, who also produced our beloved Maracay, although this one comes from Jairo’s other farm, Villarazo. This lot underwent a process called anaerobic natural fermentation. Essentially the coffee cherries were sealed in a bag without oxygen and placed in water tanks so that the cherries could be kept at a stable 22 degrees celsius. The coffee was left inside the tanks for 60 hours before being removed and dried in the sun. Anaerobic naturals are known for their intense flavours and big sweetness, a result of the coffee seed inside the cherries taking in the nutrients from the fruit.

Producer: Jairo Arcilla
Farm/Mill: Villarazo
Cultivar: Castillo
Process: Anaerobic Natural
Altitude: 1400 masl
Harvest: September - December

Expect notes of Blackberry, Cola, Passion Fruit.

https://kissthehippo.com/products/colombia-villarazo
9af08ccb34e0bc85b86919930c26a386.jpg

• Like 1

Getcho wallets out.

Holy Hippo you're not kidding! I like KTH and drink in there (when they were open) but I'll have to wait till my boss stops deducting the Covid19 (borrow from overworked employees to buy out competitors) fee from my wages before I start spending nearly fifty per key!

I've had my eye on this from Rave though... Anyone tried it?

Colombia Monteverde 'Yellow' Natural

Another delicious and bonkers natural! If you like to get on down with the deep deep Funk, this will be right up your street.

This lot is his 'yellow' natural, which means it had an extended fermentation of 80 hours. With that in mind, expect super funky notes of rum-raisin, tropical bubblegum, stewed banana and funky berry!

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/colombia-monteverde-caturra-natural?variant=34422552264872

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R