IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

Zeak

Just now, dutchy101 said:

Haha I certainly don't have a sophisticated enough palate to make such a judgement or even know what that us supposed to mean 😅.

It's very nice though

Me neither! It is a phrase I have come across. I am not sure where but if it had been anywhere interesting I am sure I would have remembered it.....

I love a decent send off..............

10 hours ago, dfk41 said:

@dutchy101 Does it qualify yet, to be a juicy banger!

David, you are talking about sausages mate....To use it for coffee makes you sound like "Ant and Dec".

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

@DavecUK Now you have got me thinking! Actually, I was on a sausage forum as there were loads of links to things, and I mistakenly pressed one and ended up on a Thuya wood ladies thing and I thought it strange for a coffee forum. Just shows how you should never click on links as they can lead you all over. How could I get coffee confused with sausages......doh!

I love a decent send off..............

i opened a bag of this one today. it seems pretty good, very fruity with a bit of booziness about it when brewed as espresso. interesting with milk. even my wife commented positively and she’s usually sceptical with this sort of thing. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shaun**** said:

i opened a bag of this one today. it seems pretty good, very fruity with a bit of booziness about it when brewed as espresso. interesting with milk. even my wife commented positively and she’s usually sceptical with this sort of thing. 

spacer.png

This looks good.  How long do you like to leave to rest from roast date? I've been finding 3 weeks is great for funky and boozy flavours. Longer could be even better but I'm too inpatient. 

6 hours ago, Ronnie Robot said:

This looks good.  How long do you like to leave to rest from roast date? I've been finding 3 weeks is great for funky and boozy flavours. Longer could be even better but I'm too inpatient. 

just had two in a row this morning, and i’m definitely sold on it. the flavour notes are pretty accurate and it has that distinctive earthy / funky / manure vibe and indescribable flavour spectrum a bit like a good ethiopian natural. 

it came in my subscription and was roasted on the 6th. usually i try and rest at least 2 weeks but was intrigued about this one so opened and took 100g or so out the kilo bag yesterday. i’ll prob leave the rest a bit longer and go back to it next week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie Robot said:

Just out of interest, are beans of this type better rested for longer? That ties in with the Funka I'm using at the moment, but these are my first 'funky' beans.

1 hour ago, dutchy101 said:

Just out of interest, are beans of this type better rested for longer? That ties in with the Funka I'm using at the moment, but these are my first 'funky' beans.

I believe so. I was leaving for 2 weeks, like Shaun**** says, and finding the last shot to be the best at around 3 weeks, so trying to leave some current beans for longer. I only started to like the Funka after a month. But I've not enjoyed any blend I've tried tbh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shaun**** said:

just had two in a row this morning, and i’m definitely sold on it. the flavour notes are pretty accurate and it has that distinctive earthy / funky / manure vibe and indescribable flavour spectrum a bit like a good ethiopian natural. 

it came in my subscription and was roasted on the 6th. usually i try and rest at least 2 weeks but was intrigued about this one so opened and took 100g or so out the kilo bag yesterday. i’ll prob leave the rest a bit longer and go back to it next week.

Just realised I had these beans from another roaster but I didn't find them fruity, more a rich, chocolaty, spicy flavour. Enjoyed them though, had 2 bags. 

Cool - I threw about 250g in the Airscape after a week and the rest in the freezer after a week. I'm about 3 weeks post roads now and they are definitely improving.

Will bear this in mind for future purchases. Thanks

Edited by dutchy101

10 hours ago, Ronnie Robot said:

Just realised I had these beans from another roaster but I didn't find them fruity, more a rich, chocolaty, spicy flavour. Enjoyed them though, had 2 bags. 

interesting, maybe a bit darker roasted or a different process? was it anaerobic natural?

@dutchy101usually I do find they improve with a longer rest. i leave the 250g bags i get from hasbean for 2 weeks if possible, and use it within about 3 or 4 days, so don’t notice. but with kilo bags I do often notice it improving over the week and a half or so that I am drinking it (usually started at 1-2 weeks). it may be personal taste, or a bit subjective though.

• Like 1

Have a bag of Funka. It’s been resting for a couple of weeks. Plan to freeze until I am ready to open. 

Dr Strangelove was pretty good, although it doesn’t qualify to be in this category. 

“Every time I judge someone else, I reveal an unhealed part of myself” -  Joy Marino 

On 14/09/2021 at 23:04, dfk41 said:

@dutchy101 Does it qualify yet, to be a juicy banger!

This is the only juicy banger that does not make one sound like a &****

200.gif

• Like 1

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

Pulled a shot of Extract Coffee Funka 2021 on Evo. I had set the machine at 92C (group head) and 99C (brew boiler). Fine grind on JX Pro, 18g:43g:32s. Acidity was muted, it did cut fine with milk and tbh, I’m not sure what to make of this. It was fine overall but I thought I had a bit of a raw beans after taste!

I am thinking if I should try pulling a shot  at 94C/102C on the machine and try brewing on the clever. 

950AC5F0-5DB8-4FF6-B51C-C7A12FA1385D.jpeg

• Like 1

“Every time I judge someone else, I reveal an unhealed part of myself” -  Joy Marino 

Hello chaps and chapesses, it's been a while, but followers of this thread might be interested to know that Lee (Foundry) has just started shipping this year's Rocko Mountain again and reckons it's a belter. Needless to say I've ordered a kilo which is currently resting.