IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

Zeak

I wonder if this one might be of interest? not heard of the perla negra process before. it’s coming tomorrow for my subscription so will report back.

This is a really unique coffee - which you'll know the moment you smell it. There's a distinctive, funky, yoghurt-like smell, but when you go in for a sip it's super creamy, with a dark chocolateflavour which fills out on the finish. As it cools, there are notes of raspberry and raisin mixed in.”

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/nic-escondida-perla-negra

On 20/05/2021 at 21:50, winterlight said:

I hadn't ordered from Cartwheel for around a year, so picked up a couple of bags from them last week. And one of them was this amazing Brazilian anaerobic. Big strawberry bubblegum and a hint of boozy blueberry combining to generate a pleasing funk. Seems slightly funkier through the V60 compared to the Aeropress.

Only problem is that... I think I bought the last bag. It's now disappeared from their site.

20210520_120621.jpg

20210520_120749.jpg

This sounds amazing.  I need to find me some!

I received a code for Extract's new offering Funka, so have decided to give this a go as I dip my toe into funky blends for the first time. Looking forward to it.

https://extractcoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/funka-2021-1kg/?coupon-code=funka30

If fruity, funky coffees are your bag, this one is for you.

Funka celebrates diversity. We’ve taken that to the extreme with five coffees from five origins, blended into one epic espresso.

Different bean densities and sugar content of each coffee mean Funka must be carefully roasted to balance all five coffees. Kudos to the Extract roastery team for pulling this off. The result is funky and fabulous both with milk and without. A boozy hit of strawberry creams and whiskey cranachan and the sparkling acidity of lime soda and gooseberries.

5 hours ago, dutchy101 said:

I received a code for Extract's new offering Funka, so have decided to give this a go as I dip my toe into funky blends for the first time. Looking forward to it.

https://extractcoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/funka-2021-1kg/?coupon-code=funka30

If fruity, funky coffees are your bag, this one is for you.

Funka celebrates diversity. We’ve taken that to the extreme with five coffees from five origins, blended into one epic espresso.

Different bean densities and sugar content of each coffee mean Funka must be carefully roasted to balance all five coffees. Kudos to the Extract roastery team for pulling this off. The result is funky and fabulous both with milk and without. A boozy hit of strawberry creams and whiskey cranachan and the sparkling acidity of lime soda and gooseberries.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and got no fruit whatsoever. Really not enjoying it. 

34 minutes ago, dutchy101 said:

Ah balls - haha. Sorry to hear that. Hoping I have better luck!

Haha Fiallos from Smith Street is really strong, orange wine, cacao and blueberry. The Bermudez from Jolly Bean has been excellent too but is now sold out. He'll be getting some more at the end of next week though.

• Like 1

I'm on a longer visit to Lithuania atm and tasting local coffees here. So far found two very interesting funky lots: a Columbian (unusual pick for me) anaerobic one from TasteMap and (again) a Columbian natural from Strange Love Coffee. Both are pretty amazing. Gotta say I'm spoilt by UK offering and importantly pricing, although ~14EUR for something special is probably still alright.

1 hour ago, winterlight said:

Any recommended boozy beans about at the moment? Not had one for a while and feel the need!

Fiallos from Smith Street is like a dark chocolate orange liquor,  Banko Goititi from Crankhouse is tasting pretty funky and check out Jolly Bean Roastery tomorrow night, think they're due a new Diego Bermudez bean. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ronnie Robot said:

Fiallos from Smith Street is like a dark chocolate orange liquor,  Banko Goititi from Crankhouse is tasting pretty funky and check out Jolly Bean Roastery tomorrow night, think they're due a new Diego Bermudez bean. 

+1 for the Banko Gotiti from Crankhouse - there’s a whole lot going on with that.

18 hours ago, winterlight said:

Any recommended boozy beans about at the moment? Not had one for a while and feel the need!

I actually meant to recommend you the Finca Los Alpes carbonic maceration natural for funky and boozy instead of the Goititi 😂 

• Like 1

Well, seeing as I haven't used Smith Street before, I've decided to take the plunge with them on their Fiallos beans. And I've also ordered up their Calderon beans as coconut/mango/vanilla sounds too good to turn down. I'm justifying such a purchase as my birthday is coming up. And I should still have some left by then. Just about.

I'll let you know what I think to them!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, winterlight said:

Well, seeing as I haven't used Smith Street before, I've decided to take the plunge with them on their Fiallos beans. And I've also ordered up their Calderon beans as coconut/mango/vanilla sounds too good to turn down. I'm justifying such a purchase as my birthday is coming up. And I should still have some left by then. Just about.

I'll let you know what I think to them!

Thanks!

I also bought the Calderon 😂 but wasn't all that impressed. Didn't really get the flavours coming through very strongly.  Be interesting to see how you get on.  The fiallos was crazy strong though, I ended up using aeropress for it as espresso was too much. 

Had a delivery from Smith Street today!

First up were the Calderon beans. And opening the tin led to the release of some strong vanilla aromas. These were even more intense after grinding. Nonetheless, mindful of what Ronnie had said above, I decided to do a long brew in the Aeropress. Left them in for 15 minutes before plunging. Strong vanilla notes again mixed with in a noticeable mango flavour. Very nice indeed, but I didn't pick up on any coconut aromas - perhaps they're smothered by the vanilla and mango. Might try a 20 minute press on these next as well as putting them through the V60. Also have to note that, although I'm not too fussed about packaging, the tin these came in is of a very high quality.

Later on I dug into the Fiallos beans and it was time for my tastebuds to get hardwired into pleasure again. These really, really reminded me of Hasbean's latest batch of Ana Sora. Very chocolatey with blueberry and orange in the mix. BUT! These macerated beans have a big, big glug of booze in them. A proper eye opener and one which will prove perfect in the mornings. I've only put these through the V60 so far, so I do wonder how intense the alcoholic edge will be in my Aeropress. But I'll give it a go!

Both come highly recommended with the Winterlight seal of approval.

• Thanks 1

On 02/09/2021 at 17:38, winterlight said:

Had a delivery from Smith Street today!

First up were the Calderon beans. And opening the tin led to the release of some strong vanilla aromas. These were even more intense after grinding. Nonetheless, mindful of what Ronnie had said above, I decided to do a long brew in the Aeropress. Left them in for 15 minutes before plunging. Strong vanilla notes again mixed with in a noticeable mango flavour. Very nice indeed, but I didn't pick up on any coconut aromas - perhaps they're smothered by the vanilla and mango. Might try a 20 minute press on these next as well as putting them through the V60. Also have to note that, although I'm not too fussed about packaging, the tin these came in is of a very high quality.

Later on I dug into the Fiallos beans and it was time for my tastebuds to get hardwired into pleasure again. These really, really reminded me of Hasbean's latest batch of Ana Sora. Very chocolatey with blueberry and orange in the mix. BUT! These macerated beans have a big, big glug of booze in them. A proper eye opener and one which will prove perfect in the mornings. I've only put these through the V60 so far, so I do wonder how intense the alcoholic edge will be in my Aeropress. But I'll give it a go!

Both come highly recommended with the Winterlight seal of approval.

That's interesting 15/20 minute Aeropress. I never usually go above 3 minutes. Are you grinding super coarse for that?

On 30/08/2021 at 11:26, Phil104 said:

+1 for the Banko Gotiti from Crankhouse - there’s a whole lot going on with that.

I'm really struggling with the Gotiti, every shot seems to taste worse.  My first shot was the best with some flavours as described but since then it's gone downhill fast with nail varnish, acid and tea coming through. 🙄😅

Mine is the washed one, is yours?  

23 minutes ago, Ronnie Robot said:

That's interesting 15/20 minute Aeropress. I never usually go above 3 minutes. Are you grinding super coarse for that?

No, I just grind at the normal Aeropress size. There's no need to go coarse as it doesn't overextract. Someone else on here - I forget who - has explained it in more detail before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...