IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey. To my surprise I couldn't find a thread here on all things experimental (anaerobic, yeast inoculation, thick layering etc). I'm all about the funk these days and nothing else excites me somehow.

After a few weeks holding off from specialty coffee - due to furlough - I'm currently waiting for some coffees from Plot Roasting to turn up. I first heard about them on this very thread a few months

Rather fortuitously, my Plot order turned up about five minutes after I woke up this morning! And they'd been roasted a few days ago, so ready to get started on them. Now drinking a cup of the hy

Posted Images

Machina have just emailed me about this: ETHIOPIA - WORKA WURI (BANANA PROCESS) - FILTER (MAP SERIES #2)

At almost £25/250g it is above my normal price point (I currently have some rare Colonna at the same £/g and feel slightly as if it's wasted on me). This does sound interesting though and I bet it would be enjoyable.

I can't quite decide if it's "legit" - I mean, there's "notes of banana" and then there's "we put banana in it". Is that a step too far? At what point does it become "banana flavoured coffee"? Thoughts?

https://machina-coffee.com/products/ethiopia-worka-wuri-banana-process-filter-map-series-2-250g?_pos=2&_sid=9c7d7ba46&_ss=r

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Jez H said:

Way over my budget unfortunately, but banana & blueberry sounds great to me!

http://www.theethiopiancoffeecompany.co.uk/shop/p/harrar-f9jk9

On 06/04/2021 at 21:17, hotmetal said:

Machina have just emailed me about this: ETHIOPIA - WORKA WURI (BANANA PROCESS) - FILTER (MAP SERIES #2)

At almost £25/250g it is above my normal price point (I currently have some rare Colonna at the same £/g and feel slightly as if it's wasted on me). This does sound interesting though and I bet it would be enjoyable.

I can't quite decide if it's "legit" - I mean, there's "notes of banana" and then there's "we put banana in it". Is that a step too far? At what point does it become "banana flavoured coffee"? Thoughts?

https://machina-coffee.com/products/ethiopia-worka-wuri-banana-process-filter-map-series-2-250g?_pos=2&_sid=9c7d7ba46&_ss=r

@hotmetal My thoughts exactly. Also I just don’t feel confident that I would get it dialled in before the bag was finished plus every time I had to purge I would just be counting the ££ pounds being wasted.  

• Like 1

Coffee. Because murder is wrong. 

It sounds very tempting, but at that price it's something to think very hard about.

Nothing here...

From the website it looks like they add strips of banana to the fermentation tank, so probably similar to the cinnamon fermentation. It would be interesting to see how much the banana flavour comes through, and how it impacts the profile overall. I think it would be nice if there could be a side by side with and without this fermentation step to look at the impact, and to also see the quality of the original beans.

But for 90 quid a kilo I don't think I can justify it for myself

5 minutes ago, Kjk said:

You can also do this and get a very banana forward flavour.FFAD6D73-417B-4C94-8692-0FAC87392BBF.thumb.jpeg.7a7bb28834efbdc6a999091549d462c7.jpeg

Hope you’re not going to eat that banana? 🤢

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jez H said:

Hope you’re not going to eat that banana? 🤢

I’m gonna put it in my coffee and charge £80 a kilo for it! Perhaps more as it is being added late in the coffee value chain.

It was in my bag “it’s only a flesh wound”...

Also, if this is putting you off... imagine how said banana would look after life inside a fermentation tank!

Edited by Kjk
  • Like 2

PMA all day!

6 minutes ago, Kjk said:

I’m gonna put it in my coffee and charge £80 a kilo for it! Perhaps more as it is being added late in the coffee value chain.

It was in my bag “it’s only a flesh wound”...

Also, if this is putting you off... imagine how said banana would look after life inside a fermentation tank!

😆 

1 hour ago, Jez H said:

Just ordered my 2nd bag of this incredible coffee. Again, a bit over budget, but he’s my local roaster so I can collect it & avoid delivery costs! And it’s a pink bourbon. Never smelled a coffee like it.

https://www.jollybeanroastery.co.uk/store/p/new-rare-lot-colombia-diego-samuel-bermudez-special-processing

I’ve had one by this farmer, can’t remember the name but something like “Diego Samuel competition lot” was very sweet and definitely my favourite I’ve ever had. Flavour profile described as “skittles”, keen to get hold of it again 

12 minutes ago, RobDGio said:

I’ve had one by this farmer, can’t remember the name but something like “Diego Samuel competition lot” was very sweet and definitely my favourite I’ve ever had. Flavour profile described as “skittles”, keen to get hold of it again 

Well I can definitely recommend this one Rob. It’s a belter.

First time suggesting on this thread so please be gentle if it’s not funky enough! 
https://www.northstarroast.com/product/honduras/

Really fruity, banana and mango coming through the flat white I made this morning 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, BenTenor said:

First time suggesting on this thread so please be gentle if it’s not funky enough! 

Really fruity, banana and mango coming through the flat white I made this morning 

North Star is excellent!

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

4 hours ago, BenTenor said:

Has anyone had this through V60/pour over and was disappointed? I ask because they don't include this in their listings if you select the "pour over" filter on their main coffee page, even though they mention V60 in the description and give a pour over recipe. I ordered from them just yesterday and missed this completely even though it sounds right up my alley and I may have bought it instead of/alongside my chosen beans (the Ethiopia Malawo Yellow Honey) if I saw it.

Are they being too specific with their filters (or made an oversight) or is there a good reason that it isn't recommended for pour over? They also have different offerings recommended for pour over and Chemex. I know there will be a difference in taste/body due to the typically-used filters, but is it going to be so different that you might as well not even show it to those who use one but not the other?

So glad to have stumbled across this thread.

A recent member here and only into own roasting and single origin for about 8 years.

Seem to have developed a taste for the ‘funk’ though only via Heart&Graft’s Miriam Perez and Rocko Mountain from Ancoats Coffee Co. a few years back.

Will most certainly be following up some of the recommendations here. 
Many thanks!

• Like 1