IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

Zeak

I am starting to see anaerobic fermentation popping up on offer lists more frequently but it is still a very small proportion of coffee.
It does add an unusual edge to coffee and only works for certain lots. I personally I really like it. I am hoping at some point to see if I can get in the same coffee one fermented and one natural. I would like to offer them as a pack so people can compare them. That is for the real nerds amongst us [emoji16][emoji16]

Oh man, sick idea! [emoji1694][emoji1694][emoji1694]

I'm too much of an amateur to attempt to describe it accurately but a couple of people I know have tried and recommended this, I enjoyed it and it certainly was something I've never tried before.

https://cliftoncoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/panama/

Tasting notes

GUAVA / PASSIONFRUIT / BLACKBERRY

Rocosa Montana translates directly as the Rocky Mountain and is located in Santa Clara, Panama. Processed exclusively by Allan Hartmann, we have bought directly from this farm for the last 3 years and have developed a very exciting relationship.
This year we decided to experiment with fermentations that are usually used exclusively for Geisha’s in Panama. Fascinated by the effects that controlled fermentation has on flavour we asked Allan to anaerobically ferment this Caturra with natural yeasts apparent in the air. After 18 days of stable fermentation the cherries are then pulped and dried on raised African beds for a further 8 days. We have been blown away by the complexity found in this coffee.

I really enjoyed it, worth a go.

• Like 1

I'm too much of an amateur to attempt to describe it accurately but a couple of people I know have tried and recommended this, I enjoyed it and it certainly was something I've never tried before.
https://cliftoncoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/panama/

Sounds really good and it's new to me that they let you choose between espresso and filter roasting profile of the same bean.

Noticed that Origin is usually roasting on a slightly darker side or medium than I like, so I'm a bit hesitant. But it does sound great.

That looks interesting Martin. You V60ing it? I've yet to try anaerobic, need to educate myself a bit on how they taste, not just read about new processes! My only brewing method is aeropress at the moment and I am wondering if it really gets the best out of a bean like that.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

16 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Just got my bag yesterday, it says roasted on the 2nd, how long, if at all, should it rest before brewing? 

Rule of thumb is 10 days minimum, 14 days is good.

Not sure there's a list anywhere on this forum but people say different types of beans or different roasters prefer different number of days, but as there's so many to keep track of I think most new people go with that rule unless the roaster (or knowledgable forum member) tells them different.  Square Mile for instance told me their Red Brick is best after 3 weeks but I haven't waited that long for any other coffee.

EDIT: A knowledgable member has just posted on this topic. Worth watching the video there:

Edited by CocoLoco

Sage Barista Express, Mazzer Royal w/ DW Kit.

48 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Rule of thumb is 10 days minimum, 14 days is good.

Not sure there's a list anywhere on this forum but people say different types of beans or different roasters prefer different number of days, but as there's so many to keep track of I think most new people go with that rule unless the roaster (or knowledgable forum member) tells them different.  Square Mile for instance told me their Red Brick is best after 3 weeks but I haven't waited that long for any other coffee.

EDIT: A knowledgable member has just posted on this topic. Worth watching the video there:

Thanks for that 👍 

15 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Thanks for that 👍 

The thread I created was based around rest periods for using beans for espresso. Again personal opinion only for filter you should be ok earlier as the brewing process for one is not quite so violent , but again experiment .

Looking like a great (and costly) thread to follow. 

Just ordered some fruity numbers from Neighbourhood but might have to place another order elsewhere for a funky pineapple batch 

On 06/06/2020 at 09:20, Jez H said:

Just ordered that and Brazilian Das Alma's. With code and free shipping it's really good deal.

• Like 1

Just ordered Origin’s Colombian. Sounds great. Incidentally, just received my Django subscription today. A naturally processed Ugandan. Flavour notes: strawberry, blueberry & peach. Will report back..........

• Like 1