IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

Zeak

After a few weeks holding off from specialty coffee - due to furlough - I'm currently waiting for some coffees from Plot Roasting to turn up. I first heard about them on this very thread a few months back, but had forgotten all about them. They seem keen on experimental processes, so I've gone for:

Guatemalan Hydro-Natural

and

Guatemalan Champagne Yeast

They both sound exciting, so I can't wait. And it'll be the first time I've had two sets of beans which are the same, but have been processed differently. Comparing the differences will keep me busy for at least five minutes!

Edited by winterlight
  • Like 5

Those sound great - I'm very tempted by the Champagne Yeast one, the tasting notes sound fantastic. I really like Plot and their Connect espresso is probably my favourite blend. They should sell the set of all 3 ARNOLDO PÉREZ coffees for comparison

• Like 1

Just now, tsouthwell said:

Those sound great - I'm very tempted by the Champagne Yeast one, the tasting notes sound fantastic. I really like Plot and their Connect espresso is probably my favourite blend. They should sell the set of all 3 ARNOLDO PÉREZ coffees for comparison

I'm pretty certain that the Hydro one will be 100% up my street. Intrigued as to what the Champagne beans will be like as the notes sound fairly light compared to what I usually go for. But they're too interesting to turn down - no doubt I'll end up loving them!

Rather fortuitously, my Plot order turned up about five minutes after I woke up this morning! And they'd been roasted a few days ago, so ready to get started on them.

Now drinking a cup of the hydro-natural and it's a winner. Boozy blueberry/mango up front and a sweet aftertaste. Great stuff and recommended!

And the packaging is amazing too.

20210206_085730.jpg

• Like 4

Well the Champagne Yeast process is equally tasty and very different. White grape and green apples hit you first of all. And then there's a gentle tickling of the tastebuds with a hint of orange juice. Not picked up on any elderflower, but it's certainly a well balanced cup and elegant is a perfect description. A fine coffee for the afternoon.

20210206_085701.jpg

• Like 3

Another banger from @BlackCatCoffee 

Producers: Cafe Granja La Esperanza

Farm: La Esperanza

Processing: Hybrid Natural

Varietal: Mandela

Tasting Notes: Tropical fruit, white chocolate, vanilla, rum

Wasn’t supposed to buy these...but needed some new scales in a hurry and couldn’t resist. Two cups in and can confirm they are a delight 😋

• Like 4

On 08/02/2021 at 21:46, Stu Beck said:

Another banger from @BlackCatCoffee 

Producers: Cafe Granja La Esperanza

Farm: La Esperanza

Processing: Hybrid Natural

Varietal: Mandela

Tasting Notes: Tropical fruit, white chocolate, vanilla, rum

Wasn’t supposed to buy these...but needed some new scales in a hurry and couldn’t resist. Two cups in and can confirm they are a delight 😋

Yep, ordered! Sounds bang on! 

• Like 1

I ordered myself some of this after enjoying the slightly funky 'Unkle Funka' from Extract in the past. Really enjoying this one from them, particularly as it holds up well with milk which sometimes seems to defeat beans with subtle fermented flavours

PURA CEPA ESPRESSO (Extract Coffee Roasters)

ORIGIN: Kasese, Rwenzori, Western Uganda

VARIETAL: Sl14, Sl28, Catimor

PROCESS: Anaerobic Natural, Pura Cepa Fermentum Naturalis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IaninBristol said:

I ordered myself some of this after enjoying the slightly funky 'Unkle Funka' from Extract in the past. Really enjoying this one from them, particularly as it holds up well with milk which sometimes seems to defeat beans with subtle fermented flavours

PURA CEPA ESPRESSO (Extract Coffee Roasters)

ORIGIN: Kasese, Rwenzori, Western Uganda

VARIETAL: Sl14, Sl28, Catimor

PROCESS: Anaerobic Natural, Pura Cepa Fermentum Naturalis

That sounds spot on! I'll keep an eye on it next time I need beans... Think I have another kg arriving in the post soon, so it'll be a while haha. 

These ones caught my eye too... Love the sound of them

https://extractcoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/santa-petrona-anaerobic-honey-1kg/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaffro said:

That sounds spot on! I'll keep an eye on it next time I need beans... Think I have another kg arriving in the post soon, so it'll be a while haha. 

These ones caught my eye too... Love the sound of them

https://extractcoffee.co.uk/shop/coffee/single-origin/santa-petrona-anaerobic-honey-1kg/

You’ve twisted my arm on this one Jaffro! Ordered! 

13 minutes ago, Stu Beck said:

@Jez H what's your verdict on the Crafthouse Brazilian beans and the Esperanza Mandela from Black Cat?

The Crafthouse were beautiful. Super sweet & juicy. Opening the Black Cat tomorrow & can’t wait! 
Have you ordered some? 

39 minutes ago, Jez H said:

The Crafthouse were beautiful. Super sweet & juicy. Opening the Black Cat tomorrow & can’t wait! 
Have you ordered some? 

Just the Mandela which I'm loving! Thought the Brazilian ones sound tasty so good to hear positive feedback 👌