IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

8 hours ago, Jez H said:

The Jolly Bean natural Colombian is possibly the best coffee I've had this year. Whilst not necessarily funky, the depth of flavours are incredible. Absolutely beautiful.

I'm loving the Crankhouse version of this bean too. Agree it's not especially funky, but the brews have been delightful and quote unlike anything else I've tasted...

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey. To my surprise I couldn't find a thread here on all things experimental (anaerobic, yeast inoculation, thick layering etc). I'm all about the funk these days and nothing else excites me somehow.

After a few weeks holding off from specialty coffee - due to furlough - I'm currently waiting for some coffees from Plot Roasting to turn up. I first heard about them on this very thread a few months

Had these two turn up from Crankhouse today with roasting dates from about a week ago, so good to go! The Colombian 'Diego Samuel Bermudez' is elegant, smooth and sweetly perfumed. The plum tasti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stu Beck said:

I'm loving the Crankhouse version of this bean too. Agree it's not especially funky, but the brews have been delightful and quote unlike anything else I've tasted...

Crankhouse beans quite a bit more expensive than Jolly Bean? Curious as to why.

I blame the bean counters!

It's hard to know how to quantify: different roasters have different overheads, staff, premises etc. To some extent it's market forces, economies of scale, and also their confidence or skill, (objective and subjective in the minds of their customers). Indeed I've had the same bean from different roasters, preferred one profile over the other, and it's not always the most expensive that tastes best to my preferences.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

Different greens cost different amounts , then all the stuff that hot metal says above .with the Colombians it’s hard to say if they are the same lots , one is natural  process , one of thermal shock , they could be different prices as greens .

lone mans property could be more , one could be roasting out a lock up one a big building , one could be paying living wage to an employee , one might not , the lost of variables is endless 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tripleshot said:

Crankhouse has a fantastic reputation for experimental beans and I think he also markets the unique qualities thermal shock process more persuasively. Certainly worked on me 😂 

Keen to try Jollybean on the strength of recommendations from folks on here!

I'd love to do a three-way cupping with the Gardelli version - 70 euro for 250g

I'm having trouble dialling in North Star Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated (roasted 30th November, been vac for about 10 days or so, not frozen). I have 18g in, 40g out and have tried coarser and finer grinds (shot time ranged from 25 to 45 seconds while experimenting with grind; the lower end of that, so coarser grind, is better). But while I got to a place where it tastes nice enough I'm not getting any funk or fruitiness. What recipe has worked for you?

9 hours ago, tripleshot said:

I'm having trouble dialling in North Star Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated (roasted 30th November, been vac for about 10 days or so, not frozen). I have 18g in, 40g out and have tried coarser and finer grinds (shot time ranged from 25 to 45 seconds while experimenting with grind; the lower end of that, so coarser grind, is better). But while I got to a place where it tastes nice enough I'm not getting any funk or fruitiness. What recipe has worked for you?

I was putting mine through the V60, so can't comment on espresso. The funk was very obvious through filter and grind size didn't make much difference. What sort of flavours are you currently getting?

12 hours ago, winterlight said:

I was putting mine through the V60, so can't comment on espresso. The funk was very obvious through filter and grind size didn't make much difference. What sort of flavours are you currently getting?

I always struggle to describe flavours but I know I wasn't getting fruitiness..

Just looked at North Star website and they recommend 18-34 in 25-27 seconds so fast and short (https://www.northstarroast.com/product/honduras/). Kicking myself for not looking at this before and just going with a 40 out ratio. Definitely getting more fruitiness this way but think 32g out might give me even more. Can't believe how different the bean tastes. I'm not finding this as forgiving to dialling in as other beans.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the Ninety Plus Drima Zede from Gardelli. I was very curious as I had tried the same bean roasted by Kawa and sort of hated it. "Sort of" because I thought it was interesting, there were some moments of "I like that part" but overall tasted so different from what I see as being "coffee" that I always had a hard time going through a cup.
The Gardelli version is no different, I'll need to experiment with it a bit again, but despite liking "out there" beans, this is just way too spicy for me.

Had some Mutawast Community Yemenia from Quarter Horse, and that was much better (and conventional). Quite floral, with some fruity undertones. Interestingly it's the first time I have a coffee whose aroma reminds me of vanilla. Whether it's wort its price tag is still up for debate, but I haven't fully dialed it in yet I think...

Edited by olivier
On 10/12/2020 at 08:31, Hairy_Hogg said:

So, my Xmas present to myself is an order of the Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated and the Ethiopia Malawo Honey lots (Black) from North Star (of which I am lead to understand from North Star there is about a weeks supply left)

Ordered last night, £22 so free delivery :)

Have to say that the Honduran Blanca Rosa was pretty damn good as well, just enjoying my last V60 of that now.

Had the Colombian Diego Samuel Bermudez experimental process from Colonna this morning, and it's great. Lots of stone fruits and a sweet milk chocolate backbone. While I understand the floral element descriptor, it's not the defining flavour of this coffee, at least based on that one drink. Had it as a fast flowing espresso: 1:2.5 in 23sec, and didn't have any unpleasant acidity at all. Might try to see if I can go a bit longer, and definitely have to have this as pour over.

Colonna don't sell them anymore but it seems like Crankhouse have the same beans in stock. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion:

https://www.crankhousecoffee.co.uk/products/diego-samuel-bermudez?variant=32072666742902

Edited by olivier
On 01/08/2021 at 11:17, olivier said:

Colonna don't sell them anymore but it seems like Crankhouse have the same beans in stock. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion:

https://www.crankhousecoffee.co.uk/products/diego-samuel-bermudez?variant=32072666742902

I had the Crankhouse one a couple of months back and it was very nice, but I did feel it was overpriced.

Saying that, I'm not sure how I would determine an expensive coffee being "worth it" Some I seem to have no complaints about paying double my normal costs and others leave me thinking that I should have got more in the cup. There's little logic at play!

Just ordered 2 bags from Elsewhere who are super local to me (Deptford). Turns out they have a few very juicy African offerings. Take a looks at Juice Box (Ethiopia) and Uganda Bukonzo Dream (supposedly the same one that we had from Steampunk via LSOL last October; they're selling it as their Xmas Coffee). Excited about both now!

Edited by Zeak
  • Like 2
On 14/01/2021 at 18:22, hotmetal said:

That sounds right up my street. Please do report back. I'll be doing espresso.

Ok, so not getting the funk. But that’s probably down to my “one size fits all” Aeropress recipe! Definitely getting the “fruit bomb” he mentions however, so all good.

just picked this up from our local cafe, which sounds awesome. I love North Star.

https://www.northstarroast.com/product/rwanda/

• Like 1