IGNORED

Experimental/funky beans

Thought I’d share my experience of Unkle Funka from Extract.

I tried these for a week in Moka Pot (plus hot milk) and loved it. Really musky but pleasant flavour.

I then tried them for three weeks as flat white etc and could not repeat the notes. I tried everything from 1:1.5 up 1:2.5 and didn’t really get past a general toffee flavour at best. They were nice, but not funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unkle Funka needs pressure and fast extraction to get the Funk. I had to Jack up the Slayer to 3.3g/s flow rate and ‘bump’ the puck at full pressure for 1s first before PI but then it was mad. Like Sweetshop on speed. Really enjoyed it, bought some more. Acidic but not in a bad way.

• Like 1
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey. To my surprise I couldn't find a thread here on all things experimental (anaerobic, yeast inoculation, thick layering etc). I'm all about the funk these days and nothing else excites me somehow.

After a few weeks holding off from specialty coffee - due to furlough - I'm currently waiting for some coffees from Plot Roasting to turn up. I first heard about them on this very thread a few months

Had these two turn up from Crankhouse today with roasting dates from about a week ago, so good to go! The Colombian 'Diego Samuel Bermudez' is elegant, smooth and sweetly perfumed. The plum tasti

Posted Images

Unkle Funka needs pressure and fast extraction to get the Funk. I had to Jack up the Slayer to 3.3g/s flow rate and ‘bump’ the puck at full pressure for 1s first before PI but then it was mad. Like Sweetshop on speed. Really enjoyed it, bought some more. Acidic but not in a bad way.

I also found I needed to pull it in under 32s to avoid over extraction.

I’m addicted to La Huella Pulped Natural from Origin as far as one can be at that price, but it’s like nothing else I’ve ever tasted up front, just pure ruby grapefruit in the mouth up front then cooling to oranges and sugar with a such a light finish in the mouth, really lingering but in a moorish way. Tasting notes spot on. Needs a super fine grind, finest I’ve used to date.

30 minutes ago, Chainlinephil said:

I also found I needed to pull it in under 32s to avoid over extraction.

Would you be able to share your full recipe please? Thought I’d read elsewhere that it needs a really fine grind and long pull. My shots were in region of 55s — 18g in, 40g out at 92 C and were really nice, I will experiment going coarser when I get my generous 1kg batch.

Would you be able to share your full recipe please? Thought I’d read elsewhere that it needs a really fine grind and long pull. My shots were in region of 55s — 18g in, 40g out at 92 C and were really nice, I will experiment going coarser when I get my generous 1kg batch.

I’ll dig it out.
I’ve used 18-36 for espresso and 22-45 for cortado with 4oz milk.
I did mess around with it to try and find that funk as initially I didn’t get it with a typical Slayer shot approach with long/low PI and then main brew. As mentioned also over extracted.

I recall dropping temp to increase acidity too.
I have a 1kg here so representative (9th Nov roast I think) which was a bit older than I expected when I ordered it only 2 weeks ago so now worried as dont want it to go over so to speak. I’ve over stocked over xmas I suspect as worried about deliveries.

Anyway, get new grinder Friday so bound to give me headaches. I have 1lg of the Extract Grass roots espresso which appears rather more std in flavour if tasty in Cortado.

Then a couple of Kiss the hippo oddities (Columbia Santa Monica anaerobic natural and Myanmar Lady carbonic red honey) hoping these are suitably bonkers

Anyway yes. I’ll dig out old recipe and do some testing too

• Thanks 1

So, my Xmas present to myself is an order of the Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated and the Ethiopia Malawo Honey lots (Black) from North Star (of which I am lead to understand from North Star there is about a weeks supply left)

Ordered last night, £22 so free delivery :)

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

So, my Xmas present to myself is an order of the Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated and the Ethiopia Malawo Honey lots (Black) from North Star (of which I am lead to understand from North Star there is about a weeks supply left)

Ordered last night, £22 so free delivery :)

Looks like a few of us will be enjoying these over the holidays 😄. I've got Malawo scheduled for 17th and Honduras for 27th

@tripleshot ; so
18g dose
18g>36g yield 1:2
92.5c
Pullman 876 basket 17-19g
Slayer
Kafatek Monolith Conical

The shot
31s total extraction time
1. Bump = 8.5bar flow rate for (1s)
2. Pre brew /PI 10s - on the Slayer this results in a gradual increase in brew pressure from approx 0.5bar after the bump to 8.5 bar over the 10s
3. Main brew, 8.5bar 20s

The above results in a forward acidity and brightness akin to the green apple candy description. I kinda get the sweet/pineapple description but it wouldn’t leap into my mind if I hadn’t RWS that note. Buttercream texture feel, it’s really quite luxurious and good body, lots and lots of crema that needs to be stirred in.

I’ll run a Luther couple to see where we go, but the above repeated that it’s good out the box with plenty of funk.

Just ran a similar 22-45g shot of Unkle Funka for a rather tasty Cortado. Similar taste profile (I taste check my espresso base before milking it). All brew parameters the same, temp, flow rate, 876 basket (19-22g ) but I ran a 2s bump this time then 13s pre brew and 20s main brew to 35s. Even more funk than previously, not surprising with the longer bump the pressure curve ramped quicker. more puck compression, slightly longer PI as a result. Next time I'd dial it back a bit (slower pressure ramp, slightly more course grind) as it was really perhaps overly acidic this time, less fruity, tempered by the milk but less balanced. 

When you chaps talk about it being muted, it was degassed? 

Conclusion, Unkle Funka definitely funky.

Thank you @Chainlinephil. This is a lot of detail, a lot going over my head tbh as my machine is not that fancy but I appreciate it! I'll try grinding coarser when I get the 1kg bag to see if I can taste a difference (my shot time was 55s for 18g in 40g out)

I don’t think you need a fancy machine

Simplified version would be if you can keep the temp down to 93 or below, grind for a PI of 6 to 10s if you can and pull the shot in around 30s total at 9.5 to 10bar and you should be golden. Tune Moto taste of that’s over or under extracted. Higher temp will tone it down with the Funka and if you do that shorten the shot further otherwise you’ll move to the woody stuff.

23 hours ago, hotmetal said:

Sounds similar to the crazy yellow thingy* Rave had. I really enjoyed that. I love the funky stuff. Even so, Rumtopf is one thing, banana cake took a bit of getting my head round first thing in the morning.

*Colombia Monteverde 'Yellow' Natural.

I actually got a lot more of the banana in this one than in the Rave one. However, those crazy Rave beans are probably my pick of the year!

• Like 1

I understand that there is a need to be adventurous which is great! I love the spins on coffee. It's not a well defined model because there are a lot of people that have ideas. If you want to do some experiments then go for it! If it tastes bad, try again with another! It's not bad if you keep doing it because you will get the perfect taste eventually. Have fun with it and don't mind the detractors.

Ordered Unkle Funka, Honduras Blanca Rosa – 90hr macerated and Ethiopia Malawo Honey (Black) to see me through XMas... really looking forward to trying all three of these.

Edited by MSM
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, winterlight said:

I've requested a bag of the Unkle Funka beans for Christmas, but... I'll be brewing through a V60. Any tips on using these for filter? Slightly coarser grind than with a lighter roast? Thanks

I brewed these through an aeropress and didn't need much tweaking to hit tasty brews. I know that bean colour isnt necessarily an indication of roast development, but I thought they were similar appearance to many beans I've had labeled as omni roast. 

• Like 1

Ive got a kilo of Unkle Funka and have had trouble dialing it in. I tried some coffeeshots (15g:200g, ~50s) and they were ok but no funky notes. This morning I pulled an allonge (1:5) and that was pretty bad.

I have a DTP so can't control many of the machine variables. Any tips on pulling shots with it? I was thinking of trying some 1:2.5 later

Im also interested in trying this brewed so I might put some through my kalita when it arrives

5 hours ago, tsouthwell said:

Ive got a kilo of Unkle Funka and have had trouble dialing it in. I tried some coffeeshots (15g:200g, ~50s) and they were ok but no funky notes. This morning I pulled an allonge (1:5) and that was pretty bad.

I have a DTP so can't control many of the machine variables. Any tips on pulling shots with it? I was thinking of trying some 1:2.5 later

Im also interested in trying this brewed so I might put some through my kalita when it arrives

I'm actually enjoying it a lot through AP. Moka-pot/preground level grind settings (40ish on Niche), 1m bloom and plunge after 2:30 usually. 

On Gaggia I just go with standard 18>36/38 (18g VST basket). Hit or miss in terms of funky notes, not sure what's playing the role in bringing these up/

• Like 1
I'm actually enjoying it a lot through AP. Moka-pot/preground level grind settings (40ish on Niche), 1m bloom and plunge after 2:30 usually. 
On Gaggia I just go with standard 18>36/38 (18g VST basket). Hit or miss in terms of funky notes, not sure what's playing the role in bringing these up/

In my experience, moderate temp and reasonably quick pressure ramp.

• Like 1

Same results for me. Moka pot was amazing.

Might get more and try Phil’s approach.

• Like 1