IGNORED

LSOL June - Caravan Roasters [London]

I’m really enjoying these beans. There’s definitely a sharpness there which I prefer in my coffee. 

I’ve been getting better results via an aeropress and finer grind vs a courser pour-over drip. It seems to hold up to milk well too. 

I have no idea where they’re from but very interested if they do turn out to be from South America as up to now all the coffees I’ve favoured have been either Ethiopian or Rwandan. 

Edited by Sly
Sausage fingers
  • Like 1
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, this is what it is. We have our second Rwandan and it is SHOLI COOPERATIVE - Tasting notes are Juicy red plum and candied grapefruit notes with a pomegranate acidity and a buttery creamy body

I understand we have a full house of sub and guest payments in so order can be placed on schedule tomorrow for delivery around the middle to end of week Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You should have a guess..... don't worry about not having a clue. I would suggest that most of us "don't have a clue".... I am sure there are a few who can taste a coffee and make a genuine

Posted Images

I've been waiting a couple of weeks to try mine so have some Plot Peruvian competition lot to finish first.  For once I'm drinking filter as my Sage has been buzzing for a while so I thought I'd best phone them.  Anyway due to Covid they're not sending engineers out so I'm getting a new one (well got one actually but it arrived scratched and dented so will need to be replaced).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SDM said:

I'm getting caramel or toffee on the finish and something sweet and fruity. Maybe raspberry jam?

I had settled on a 20g to 300g Hoffman V60. But yesterday, I made a 500g brew and I think it was my favourite yet. I picked up a new flavour in it, but I couldn't place what it was. I think I'll try another 500g brew today to see if I get it again.

I was thinking Latin America too. I'm going to take a punt at a washed Honduran.

What ratio did you use for 500g? I made a Chemex the other day and used 30g for 500g water and was a bit muddy, although I think my grind was too tight.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

11 minutes ago, Rhys said:

What ratio did you use for 500g? I made a Chemex the other day and used 30g for 500g water and was a bit muddy, although I think my grind was too tight.

I did 32.5:500 in the chemex and it worked really well. Think it was around the back left hinge on the Niche. Took a little long to draw down, but it was a tasty brew.

Tried a coarser and it lost flavour, maybe a coarser grind and bump up the ratio a tad would work, but I really enjoyed the above method so probably won't change it much again! 

Edited by jaffro
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Rhys said:

I used 33g in 500g. Using the same grind size that I default to for a 20g V60. Might be a sign that I should try again on  a click finer for the smaller brews.

• Like 1
On 17/06/2020 at 16:34, Hairy_Hogg said:

Advice is to see what happens this week as delivery is slow unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lost in the office internal mail system. All arrived and I'll be brewing up tomorrow. Thanks team.

• Like 2

I tried mine today. No idea where it is from. The beans smell delicious and definitely raspberry jammy. I would go as far as to say jammie Dodgers 

I haven't quite dialled it in perfectly yet, not far off but a touch finer I think. 

• Like 1
On 20/06/2020 at 14:44, Hairy_Hogg said:

Assume from the lack of notification that everyone received their coffee in the end?

hi Hairy_Hogg, yes beans finally turned up, thanks for sorting as ever, looking forward to tucking into them. 

• Like 2

I've been running it as espresso all the time.

Not exactly sure, definite caramel and sweetness but there is some citrus coming through at the end for me. Not funky enough for a natural or fermented so i'd say washed. Origin maybe Kenya?

• Like 1

Finally cracked this open and put it through the aeropress today. It is slightly reminding me of a honduran coffee I had recently, but with less obvious sweetness and more tea-like. There is some apple and apricot notes in there I think, with some lemon? I think washed ethiopian or kenyan. 

• Like 1

This is another great coffee.

10-15 sec PI, 15.5gr- 33grm

Smooth sweet very strong chocolate , cinnamon, great mouthfeel, no bitterness, mild acidity, definitely another coffee i will buy again if available.( ive got another kg of Curves lsol from last month due today).

Thanks for sourcing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got this in an iced coffee using James Hoffman's method, but using a December dripper rather than a v60. 

Absolute delight in this hot weather! 

30g coffee to 300g water, brewed over 200g of ice. 

Silky smooth, almost buttery? Really mild acidity at the back end. I'm still struggling to place the tasting notes for this one. Tea like for sure for me. 

Whatever it is, I'm loving it. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd get a guess in before the deadline, why not? Washed Burundi.

I brewed this on V60 for my coffee club at work. Tasting notes reported included cumin, holy basil, dark chocolate and rose water. The panel will probably need more training before we put this on the front of any bags.

Gotta say the espresso is much better than the filter for this bean. Found the filter murky and not particularly distinctive (Can struggle with the water at work so could be that) and the espresso at home has been really enjoyable.

• Like 1

Not sure if it points towards where it's from but I'm noticing a big caffeine hit from these beans. 

I'd second the comments about being interested in buying this again if available. 

OK, this is what it is.

We have our second Rwandan and it is SHOLI COOPERATIVE - Tasting notes are Juicy red plum and candied grapefruit notes with a pomegranate acidity and a buttery creamy body.

I think most people understand the challenges in Rwanda at the moment and all profits from the sale of this specific coffee is going towards the disaster relief going on there.

Following from Caravan:

Sholi was formed in 2008 by a group of 30 women farmers as a way to invigorate their local economy. Located halfway between the Rwandan capital of Kigali and Lake Kivu to the west, Sholi members grow coffee up to 2000 meters above sea level, cultivating traditional Bourbon varietals, and delivering their cherry to nearby collection points throughout the small district of Muhanga. This particular lot was grown by the Sholi Women’s Association, a group of female farmers who organized to share resources, skills, and to advocate for their rights within their communities.

The Sholi Cooperative is a new relationship for CCR, established by our Head of Coffee, Andrea Otte, from a previous job where she worked with producer organisations in East Africa. Abateraninkunga ba Sholi – or just ‘Sholi’ – is a small cooperative by African standards, with only 387 members, of which nearly half are women. Located halfway between the Rwandan capital of Kigali and Lake Kivu to the west, Sholi members grow coffee up to 2000 meters above sea level, cultivating traditional Bourbon varietals, and delivering their cherry to nearby collection points throughout the small district of Muhanga.

Sholi was formed in 2008 by a group of 30 women farmers as a way to invigorate their local economy. Since then, the cooperative has achieved Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance, and Organic certifications, placed in the Rwandan Cup of Excellence, and established a collectively owned washing station where members’ coffee is processed.

This particular lot was grown by the Sholi Women’s Association, a group of female farmers who have organized to share resources, skills, and to advocate for their rights as farmers within their communities. Caravan paid an additional premium to support the Women’s Association, funds which are pooled over the course of the year. At the end of the harvest, the use of the funds is voted on by all the members, who have previously invested in such things as reforestation and early childhood education.

Please note - last Rwandan for a while (no others planned at the moment) but it seemed a worthy cause and of the two coffees suggested this was definitely the tastiest.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Amazing. Great to hear about the support Caravan have given to the disaster relief. 

Really enjoyed this one. I would happily buy more if I had space for more beans!

Think the only tasting note I actually got right was "buttery"... Just made another iced one to have out in the garden so I'll see if i can get the plum, grapefruit and pomegranate 😊

Need to properly try it as espresso too... Think I still have about a third left, so plenty more time to play with it! 

Thanks for another awesome LSOL @Hairy_Hogg

Not only do we have a great tasting easy to drink coffee it's helped others in a less fortunate position than ourselves which is how humanity should work!

I must admit I have really hit these ones hard and almost finished off the bag already, fully enjoying every drop

I do appreciate the effort put in by everyone concerned as sourcing coffee this good is a fine art!

Yep, the bag is nearly finished for me too. I've only been having as v60 or iced filter v60 but been enjoying them. Tomato soup not quite making it onto the label unfortunately 🤣

Most importantly, fantastic cause and thank you for choosing them, and to Caravan for sourcing and supporting them. Do you know if this will be available in their stores? 

Edit: Just seen it is available if anyone wants another bag or missed out! https://www.caravancoffeeroasters.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/sholi-cooperative?variant=31346437488709

Edited by Xabi17