LSOL June - Caravan Roasters [London]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, this is what it is. We have our second Rwandan and it is SHOLI COOPERATIVE - Tasting notes are Juicy red plum and candied grapefruit notes with a pomegranate acidity and a buttery creamy body

I understand we have a full house of sub and guest payments in so order can be placed on schedule tomorrow for delivery around the middle to end of week [emoji16] Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You should have a guess..... don't worry about not having a clue. I would suggest that most of us "don't have a clue".... I am sure there are a few who can taste a coffee and make a genuine

Posted Images

I know I shouldn't even be putting these in my grinder yet but the hotmetalette and I had a major coffee drinking binge yesterday and my Rocko ran out after my first coffee today. I've just made an espresso with these now, not really dialed in yet, this is the first, but 18.5-40 in 35" is giving me a hint of tomato soup, so I'm going to kick off the guessing game with Washed Kenya. I may change my mind once I get it dialed in properly though!

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

55 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

I know I shouldn't even be putting these in my grinder yet but the hotmetalette and I had a major coffee drinking binge yesterday and my Rocko ran out after my first coffee today. I've just made an espresso with these now, not really dialed in yet, this is the first, but 18.5-40 in 35" is giving me a hint of tomato soup, so I'm going to kick off the guessing game with Washed Kenya. I may change my mind once I get it dialed in properly though!

___
Eat, drink and be merry

I'm not getting tomato soup, but I do think it's a washed African... I was thinking Kenyan, don't mean to copy you! 

It's really nice as a pourover - December dripper is winning so far, but I shared a chemex with my partner today and it was also great. Tried a long steep in the clever this morning at 70g/l and it was a bit flat... I'll try one more at 75g/l and see if I can improve it at all.

I've forgotten my thoughts on the tasteing notes from today's brew... I need to write them down while drinking it! Just remember that it was a nice gentle acidity, think a couple of light floral notes somewhere, bit tea like perhaps. 

I'll try again later or tomorrow and take a better guess... 

• Like 2

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

2 hours ago, hotmetal said:

...... a hint of tomato soup ..........

Really? Is that reported as a "good thing"?

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

1 minute ago, Drewster said:

Really? Is that reported as a "good thing"?

Some green coffee I was looking at recently had notes of "red onion" apparently...

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Just now, filthynines said:

Some green coffee I was looking at recently had notes of "red onion" apparently...

'kin 'ell - I am sometimes grateful I have the palate of a warthog.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Haha! Yeah I know, tasting notes are mad sometimes. I don't necessarily think coffee that has a tomato soup vibe is 'a good thing' but it can be associated with Kenya sometimes I believe. Like all these tasting notes though, for me it's always "vaguely reminiscent of " rather than "tastes like". The only tasting note I find undeniable is when people say Ethiopian naturals in milk can taste like strawberry milkshake. That sometimes is quite true. The same shot as espresso usually makes me think "Rumtopf". However I might have the palate of a mongoose, so hakuna matata me ol' warthog!

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Was there any tracking on these as mine still haven’t arrived for some reason

Let me check...

Anyone else missing theirs?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr LSOL - October offering here -> Clicky <-

12 hours ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

Let me check...Anyone else missing theirs?

yep, mine awol too, but RM deliveries here have been incredibly slow recently. 

Let me check... 
Anyone else missing theirs?

Mine actually arrived today I was a day too early in sending up the distress flair
  • Like 1

I just dialed in a new grinder with these beans and ended up pulling a few decent shots. 
mended up going for 17.5g in - 34/36g out ~ 35 seconds. A real smooth balanced taste. Didn’t make full tasting notes as it was late but will do today. 

On 15/06/2020 at 14:54, hotmetal said:

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Since you've said it I keep on getting the tomato soup 🤣

Edited by Xabi17
  • Like 1

Just made a nice espresso but with a much longer extraction than I expected. 

19.5g in -> 36g out in 46secs. Gave a rounded shot with maybe a little sourness right at the end.  Very tasty though. 

So, will most likely do the reveal around the end of next week.

Assume from the lack of notification that everyone received their coffee in the end?

• Like 2

Mr LSOL - October offering here -> Clicky <-

Just opened and made for me an espresso 15.5-33g 50 secs and my wife a cappuccino 15.5 -30grm.

I tasted cinnamon and raspberry jam, it certainly looked darker, when ground than I expected.

V nice

Peruvian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really enjoying this. Playing around but mainly getting brown sugar and caramel, very nice.

DE1+, Monolith Conical, Osmio Zero. Stuff. Lots of stuff.

I'll be tucking into this with my V60 tomorrow. Dug my pestle and mortar out 😁

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I’ve been using these in V60s from the start and I’m getting cinder toffee, raspberry and dark chocolate. I’d guess at Latin America and an even wilder guess of Nicaragua, but no idea of process.

I’ve enjoyed them but I feel that I should be able to do better. Tried brews from 200 to 500g using the April method for the smaller brews to Rao and Hoffman for the 500g brews. I’d say my preference has been with the smaller April brews which have brought out more sweetness.

Thanks for organising @Hairy_Hogg ; and @Daren ; - looking forward to the big reveal

Tim

• Like 1

Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

3 hours ago, salty said:

I’ve been using these in V60s from the start and I’m getting cinder toffee, raspberry and dark chocolate. I’d guess at Latin America and an even wilder guess of Nicaragua, but no idea of process.

I’ve enjoyed them but I feel that I should be able to do better. Tried brews from 200 to 500g using the April method for the smaller brews to Rao and Hoffman for the 500g brews. I’d say my preference has been with the smaller April brews which have brought out more sweetness.

Thanks for organising @Hairy_Hogg ; and @Daren ; - looking forward to the big reveal

Tim

I'm getting caramel or toffee on the finish and something sweet and fruity. Maybe raspberry jam?

I had settled on a 20g to 300g Hoffman V60. But yesterday, I made a 500g brew and I think it was my favourite yet. I picked up a new flavour in it, but I couldn't place what it was. I think I'll try another 500g brew today to see if I get it again.

I was thinking Latin America too. I'm going to take a punt at a washed Honduran.

• Like 1