McPhie

New Espresso Grinder

Hello.

Just got my first proper espresso machine, a lovely little 2006 Gaggia Classic I managed to get fairly close to home. Gonna be posting my progress with a service along with some questions in another thread soon if anyone can bear to see the same machine again ;)

Now got to get myself a grinder to go with it. I currently have a Hario Mini Slim which I know is not capable for espresso. I was initially thinking I'd try and get a second hand grinder somewhere around the £200 mark. I'm pretty practical so don't mind working on things or not having a warranty.

However, I keep getting drawn to the Niche Zero. I won't be making any huge numbers of coffees, maybe 4 doubles a day, so the idea of zero retention and single dosing does appeal to me, and to get this without faffing around too much would be a big plus. Just not sure if I've lost it considering 2.5 times my initial budget and moving away from my usual 'buy second hand for a better deal' mentality.

Main thing I wanted to check was am I missing any key considerations with regards other grinders available? I've been looking some of the Mazzers that come up, as well as Eureka Mignons. Have seen the ways people get these single dose, just not sure whether I would have the patience moving forward.

Reading this you'll probably just say I've answered my own question. Think I just need to hear someone tell me it's ok before I go and rinse the credit card and that I've not missed any other obvious option :D 

Thanks for reading 

TLDR: Tell me it's ok to spend over double my initial budget on a Niche Zero

reading through the below may help (sticky thread at the top of the grinder section)

Towards the last page you may find newer models.

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Okay let me help you... 

It's okay to spend over double your initial budget on a Niche Zero

😉

Seriously though, it is a good grinder for home use. It's kitchen friendly, many like the looks of it (some don't!) grinds well (particularly for the price point).

Personally I can't really fault it. I'm glad I got one. It'll last me a lot of years as long as I treat it well! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Apologies that was the machine one @McPhie try this one instead :)

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

26 minutes ago, johnealey said:

Apologies that was the machine one @McPhie try this one instead :)

John

Thanks for that @johnealey. Had read the first section before but some good stuff on the latter pages with regards the Mazzer mods. Something like this does look pretty decent without too much faff https://home-doserless.com/product/mazzer-super-jolly/

Have second hand Mazzers been effected by the current lockdown price inflation similar to Gaggia Classics? Annoying to pay a premium due to high demand/low supply but then I'm part of that problem atm, too much time at home :D

39 minutes ago, jaffro said:

Okay let me help you... 

It's okay to spend over double your initial budget on a Niche Zero

😉

Seriously though, it is a good grinder for home use. It's kitchen friendly, many like the looks of it (some don't!) grinds well (particularly for the price point).

Personally I can't really fault it. I'm glad I got one. It'll last me a lot of years as long as I treat it well! 

Thanks for that, now just need the same reassurance from my wallet ;)

The fact that it will last me a good while is another major plus, do like to buy things I know I'm not going to grow out of any time soon. I personally love the looks too so is hard to fault.

Jonny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McPhie said:

Have second hand Mazzers been effected by the current lockdown price inflation similar to Gaggia Classics? Annoying to pay a premium due to high demand/low supply but then I'm part of that problem atm, too much time at home :D

I don't think so, a fairly worn out one sold for £70 on the forum a few weeks ago and one in nice condition with fairly new burrs for £220 and inbetween this ex-commerical ones on ebay in varying condition are still going for between those two prices.

• Like 1

2012 Gaggia Classic with PID, Eureka Specialita, 15/18/22g VST Baskets.

If gonna order the niche, need to hurry stock selling v fast, sold out atm in UK and delivery pushed back to August, you could get a EU one and use adapter plug..

BE - White niche - V60 - Joey custom tamper - WPM - Acaia lunar 

Yeah been keeping an eye on that for the last couple of days, selling fast! They said in the comments section there is no difference apart from the plug, so seems like a good alternative to waiting till September.

Down to 12 now so not long to decide...

1 minute ago, McPhie said:

Yeah been keeping an eye on that for the last couple of days, selling fast! They said in the comments section there is no difference apart from the plug, so seems like a good alternative to waiting till September.

Down to 12 now so not long to decide...

Yeah my mate was pondering it and emailed them about the plug so yeah should be fine 😂 but yeah those 12 will go by tmoro morning 

• Sad 1

BE - White niche - V60 - Joey custom tamper - WPM - Acaia lunar 

If that's what you want buy it, will save you hassle in the long run.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Went to pull the trigger on a July dispatch but you can't select the UK as a delivery option for those, only on the August dispatch ones :( Long time to wait to properly use my new classic.

At least it takes away the sense of urgency

• Sad 1

It may be too late (if you’ve already pulled the trigger on the Niche), but 4 doubles a day will get you through quite a lot of coffee in a week (over half a kilo), so you might not need to single dose, if all you are worried about is beans going stale in a hopper. That would certainly give you more options.

• Like 1

EK43S-Coffee Burrs-V60-RokGC-Stagg EKG-Osmio Zero

18 hours ago, AJP80 said:

It may be too late (if you’ve already pulled the trigger on the Niche), but 4 doubles a day will get you through quite a lot of coffee in a week (over half a kilo), so you might not need to single dose, if all you are worried about is beans going stale in a hopper. That would certainly give you more options.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah not too late, decided to give it a bit more thought before ordering the August batch. 

Yeah hadn't realised quite how much I was getting through, couple of drinks a day for me and my brother use a fair weight of coffee! Coffee going stale in the hopper was one concern, however, it was more the zero retention that attracted me to the Niche as a way to minimise waste when adjusting grind settings. Spending money on beans to then have to purge a few grams into the bin after each adjustment would never feel good to me.

Now just have to decide if I can wait that long with the classic staring at me every time I walk into the kitchen :D 

I recently bought a 1zpresso JX Pro hand grinder - £200 all in with delivery - I love it, zero retention, takes about 20-30 seconds and isn't too difficult for me - my other half struggles with it, but I find it surprisingly easy and quite satisfying to do. 

So if you are not fussed by a bit of manual labour, this could be a good option for you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McPhie said:

Now just have to decide if I can wait that long with the classic staring at me every time I walk into the kitchen :D 

It’s only two months. They’ll fly by. You can always pick up something secondhand then sell it on again.

• Like 1

EK43S-Coffee Burrs-V60-RokGC-Stagg EKG-Osmio Zero

On 02/06/2020 at 16:14, GriffGraff_91 said:

I recently bought a 1zpresso JX Pro hand grinder - £200 all in with delivery - I love it, zero retention, takes about 20-30 seconds and isn't too difficult for me - my other half struggles with it, but I find it surprisingly easy and quite satisfying to do. 

So if you are not fussed by a bit of manual labour, this could be a good option for you.

Did have another look at hand grinders. Got a lower end hario mini slim as my first grinder a while back (not for espresso), didnt take long before I was fed up and had attached it to my Makita XD Has done my really well but keen to let the machines do the 'hard' work for me.

On 02/06/2020 at 16:29, AJP80 said:

It’s only two months. They’ll fly by. You can always pick up something secondhand then sell it on again.

Gone for it, on the list for August. Went for an EU one yesterday, but looked again today and a single UK one had come up for the same month so swapped to that. Emailed Niche as couldn't cancel the first one myself, think they replied in less than 1 minute despite it being pretty late in the afternoon. If the grinder is as good as their customer service I'm sure I'll be very pleased.

• Like 1