IGNORED

Best geisha/gesha out atm

3 hours ago, Scotford said:

I've had a fair few Gesha lots this year so far and a lot of quite rare stuff that (to me) falls in the same level of rare/super high end. 

Assembly - Panama Monteverde yellow natty Geisha. Very traditional gesha taste, subtle

AY - Yemen natty Udaini. Interesting and very rare varietal. Gesha taste on the base, but very ripe cherry and ultra sweet. 

Brew Coffee Plus - colombia pink bourbon washed. unbelievablly clean and sweet. Kiwis and rosewater. 

Curve - Colombia El Paraiso Experimental Castillo. Unbelievably out there.  Tasted like balsamic strawberries and lime cordial. (top 3 this year for me and was highest scoring UKBrC in open service) I think it's starting to make it's way onto some other roasters offer lists now. 

Crankhouse - I think it was a Panama geisha i had from them. Not sure. Might have been a pacamara, but that's basically the same thing. 

Kiss the Hippo -  Panama Shattah Geisha - very traditional in its gesha-ness and I can see why it was Pauls choice for UKBC. 

Origin - Hartmann. Yawn

Origin - Colombia, palma Y el Tucan - actually an interesting coffee from Origin! Suggary and strawberry heavy. 

Goldbox - Bolivia semi anaerobic. Really tasty and unusual. Currently drinking! Gingery and floral for days. (they also do 50g samples for about £4 of this)

I'm sure there's quite a few more I've had tis year so far but these are the ones that I can remember right now. 

How woudl you describe Geishaness to the uneducated 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had a fair few Gesha lots this year so far and a lot of quite rare stuff that (to me) falls in the same level of rare/super high end.    Assembly - Panama Monteverde yellow natty Geisha

Ive had some great stuff from non uk roasters that have cost me £12-15 

Yeah but enough about the UK, what about Dubai?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Joe shorrock said:

Bloody he’ll that’s some tasting fair play! How was the assembly? Wanted to try them for years 

Assembly do good things. They have a really good roasting ethos, but sometimes I have found that they go slightly too light to accentuate florals. 

4 hours ago, catpuccino said:

They're a new one for me. Worth a go?

So far, they have knocked it out the park for me. There's input from Brewers Cup / Barista Comp / Cup tasters champs there so they have a good background

3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

How woudl you describe Geishaness to the uneducated 

It's more often than not sweet, aromatic and clean tasting. Usually there's jasmine / honeysuckle / blossoms on the florals and lots of honeys in the sweetness. It just tastes ... well, expensive. 

• Like 1
On 27/05/2020 at 16:24, Scotford said:

Assembly do good things. They have a really good roasting ethos, but sometimes I have found that they go slightly too light to accentuate florals. 

So far, they have knocked it out the park for me. There's input from Brewers Cup / Barista Comp / Cup tasters champs there so they have a good background

It's more often than not sweet, aromatic and clean tasting. Usually there's jasmine / honeysuckle / blossoms on the florals and lots of honeys in the sweetness. It just tastes ... well, expensive. 

What’s what’s your favourite type of coffee beans 

On 31/05/2020 at 20:50, Joe shorrock said:

What’s what’s your favourite type of coffee beans 

Sl-34 varietal, usually from Kirinyaga or Nyeri regions in Kenya. 

On 31/05/2020 at 23:00, grumble said:

Crikey Goldbox' website has some wanky arrogant bs on it! I guess if the coffee is good who cares but it doesn't encourage me....

How so? 

'But until you've tasted Gold Box, we would argue that you've never really drunk specialty coffee before.'

'With some of the most refined palates in the coffee industry, each one of our rare and distinctive roasts is a masterpiece.'

Masterpiece isn't a word for you to use about your own work IMO. 

Also the fact they have a branch in Dubai! 🤔

Edited by grumble
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, grumble said:

the fact they have a branch in Dubai! 🤔

What has having a branch in Dubai got to do with it?

TBF a lot of the blurb on marketing materials that are trying-to-sell-you-their-product is in similar vein. 

Dubai just represents everything that's wrong with the world really. :) 

TBF a lot of the blurb on marketing materials that are trying-to-sell-you-their-product is in similar vein. 

This is next level though.

• Like 1

I’m sure their coffee is great, but I’ve had bad experience with them, ordered, nothing came for a week, messaged them no replies, finally got an answer said about post being late granted the crisis, 3 weeks later still nothing, asked for tracking, couldn’t find my receipt, had to be refunded in end, coffee never arrived despite being dispatched- maybe got lost, but never had apology frustrating tbh 

I’m sure their coffee is great, but I’ve had bad experience with them, ordered, nothing came for a week, messaged them no replies, finally got an answer said about post being late granted the crisis, 3 weeks later still nothing, asked for tracking, couldn’t find my receipt, had to be refunded in end, coffee never arrived despite being dispatched- maybe got lost, but never had apology frustrating tbh 
Weird, I had not a lot of communication between myself and them. I'd happily rate the service as good and the product as very good, but your experience sounds completely different. Cest la vie
  • Like 1
Veering way off topic here, but slave labour, hyper-consumerism, environmental disaster, autocratic rule and subjugation of women aren't really my bag. 
Yeah but enough about the UK, what about Dubai?
8 hours ago, grumble said:

Veering way off topic here, but slave labour, hyper-consumerism, environmental disaster, autocratic rule and subjugation of women aren't really my bag. 

When was the last time you visited? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2020 at 09:01, Scotford said:

Goldbox - Bolivia semi anaerobic. Really tasty and unusual. Currently drinking! Gingery and floral for days. (they also do 50g samples for about £4 of this)

I just had some samples of this recently, it is a special coffee. Don't expect a flavour bomb, but subtle refined white florals and the ginger descriptor is definitely apt - I can't remember having a coffee as "gingery" as this one.

On 27/05/2020 at 09:01, Scotford said:

I've had a fair few Gesha lots this year so far and a lot of quite rare stuff that (to me) falls in the same level of rare/super high end. 

Assembly - Panama Monteverde yellow natty Geisha. Very traditional gesha taste, subtle

AY - Yemen natty Udaini. Interesting and very rare varietal. Gesha taste on the base, but very ripe cherry and ultra sweet. 

Brew Coffee Plus - colombia pink bourbon washed. unbelievablly clean and sweet. Kiwis and rosewater. 

Curve - Colombia El Paraiso Experimental Castillo. Unbelievably out there.  Tasted like balsamic strawberries and lime cordial. (top 3 this year for me and was highest scoring UKBrC in open service) I think it's starting to make it's way onto some other roasters offer lists now. 

Crankhouse - I think it was a Panama geisha i had from them. Not sure. Might have been a pacamara, but that's basically the same thing. 

Kiss the Hippo -  Panama Shattah Geisha - very traditional in its gesha-ness and I can see why it was Pauls choice for UKBC. 

Origin - Hartmann. Yawn

Origin - Colombia, palma Y el Tucan - actually an interesting coffee from Origin! Suggary and strawberry heavy. 

I'm sure there's quite a few more I've had tis year so far but these are the ones that I can remember right now. 

Hey @Scotford

Can I ask who AY are? I'm sure I'll kick myself but I'm drawing a blank...

Cheers dude :)

3 hours ago, Jon_Foster said:

Hey @Scotford

Can I ask who AY are? I'm sure I'll kick myself but I'm drawing a blank...

Cheers dude :)

I'm not he - but I think he is referring to Assembly again. AY is the logo they use occassionally. I think that was the limited edition Yemeni they had at the end of last year, it was great! But I'm a huge fan of Assembly and find everything they do great.

2 hours ago, Power Freak said:

I'm not he - but I think he is referring to Assembly again. AY is the logo they use occassionally. I think that was the limited edition Yemeni they had at the end of last year, it was great! But I'm a huge fan of Assembly and find everything they do great.

Aah nice one, thanks dude :)

Was about to say we had an Assembly LSOL recently but I just checked and it was March before last... Lockdown definitely getting to the ol grey matter :D:D:D

• 5 months later...