Jump to content

Announcement 5th June


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

There be ladies on 'the gram' though. How else will one see those pictures 😳

Disappointing Niche went with all the social spamming and marketing guff.

 

Isn't the first time they've done it in fairness, and it's a VERY effective way in terms of promoting a product due to the amount of clicks/views it'll pull in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It better be that they are shipping my grinder 😁

I’m in June they sent me message saying will be end of first week/ start of second week 

Messaged them 😂 give away I think 

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Squidgyblack said:

Isn't the first time they've done it in fairness, and it's a VERY effective way in terms of promoting a product due to the amount of clicks/views it'll pull in. 

Is it? They are a very small, *ahem*, niche market/product. They have 18.5k followers which is miniscule, if they've done it before then success has been very limited. Their market is basically the demographic of this forum eg: old men. The 'less old men' don't like spamming social media, subjecting their friends to spam, muddying up their profile.

I get they want to expand, of course they do. Not sure this is the best way to go about it. This sort of thing targets a market/mideset that is much, much younger than the £500 coffee grinder market. Also leaves a bad taste in mouth of people like me looking to maybe upgrade to them. In fact, upgraders, those looking at £1500 'packages', those coming from Gaggias and Sages should be their primary target market.

Edited by CocoLoco

Sage Barista Express.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Is it? They are a very small, *ahem*, niche market/product. They have 18.5k followers which is miniscule, if they've done it before then success has been very limited. Their market is basically the demographic of this forum eg: old men. The less old men don't like spamming social media, subjecting their to spam, muddying up their profile.

I get they want to expand, of course they do. Not sure this is the best way to go about it. This sort of thing targets a market/mideset that is much, much younger than the £500 coffee grinder market.

I'm no marketing expert, but considering they already got the attention of us coffee nerds through reviews from people like DaveC, why would they not want to expand to the sorts of people using social media? Otherwise when we all have one their market dries up... 

There are a lot of rich people using insta, I imagine there are some who might thing "that's a kitchen friendly design" and splurge on one despite having no interest in coffee? 

They only have 18.5k followers at the moment, but the whole point in a giveaway asking people to tag as many people as possible for a competition entry is to boost their followers, right?

I dunno, I'm not a fan of social media spamming, but I can totally see why they'd do it. 

  • Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Their market is basically the demographic of this forum eg: old men.

..... who are on TwitFace or whatever you call it, certainly ain’t me! 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jaffro said:

I'm no marketing expert, but considering they already got the attention of us coffee nerds through reviews from people like DaveC, why would they not want to expand to the sorts of people using social media? Otherwise when we all have one their market dries up... 

There are a lot of rich people using insta, I imagine there are some who might thing "that's a kitchen friendly design" and splurge on one despite having no interest in coffee? 

They only have 18.5k followers at the moment, but the whole point in a giveaway asking people to tag as many people as possible for a competition entry is to boost their followers, right?

I dunno, I'm not a fan of social media spamming, but I can totally see why they'd do it. 

Me neither but there's a market between us coffee nerds and Instagram isn't there? Number of people (rich enough) with no real interest in coffee but buy a £500 product you have to wait weeks or months to get? I'd think getting to the John Lewis crowd or exposure to a market more likely to buy from them would be better for them.

I get all exposure is good exposure and yes of course this will grow them. But how much and into their best market? Not so sure about that. But what do I know, they have a marketing expert on board I'm sure, they must think this is right for them. And it costs them very little as their fans do all the work for them.

Edited by CocoLoco

Sage Barista Express.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Me neither but there's a market between us coffee nerds and Instagram isn't there? Number of people (rich enough) with no real interest in coffee but buy a £500 product you have to wait weeks or months to get? I'd think getting to the John Lewis crowd or exposure to a market more likely to buy from them would be better for them.

I get all exposure is good exposure and yes of course this will grow them. But how much and into their best market? Not so sure about that. But what do I know, they have a marketing expert on board I'm sure, they must think this is right for them. And it costs them very little as their fans do all the work for them.

Yeah that's a really fair point. The John Lewis or perhaps Lakeland crowd must be a good one to get if you can. I would have thought they'd be aiming for this anyway, maybe it just hasn't got there yet? 

Although... I imagine most people who walk into JL for a coffee machine are after something like nespresso or maybe Sage BE... I know they sell Sage DBs too, maybe oracles? But would there be a big market for a 500 quid grinder? Possibly some, but I imagine it's more expensive than the budget of 99% of people who shop for coffee gear at JL (and they wouldn't realise the benefit of investing in a good grinder anyway). You'd get the JL customer service though I suppose, might swing a few people. 

All I'm thinking is that there's no downside to having a big following on social media and if they have enough people posting pictures it might get them sales they wouldn't have got otherwise. If it became the next big thing to have in your kitchen they could be onto a winner. 

Edited by jaffro
  • Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaffro said:

Yeah that's a really fair point. The John Lewis or perhaps Lakeland crowd must be a good one to get if you can. I would have thought they'd be aiming for this anyway, maybe it just hasn't got there yet? 

Although... I imagine most people who walk into JL for a coffee machine are after something like nespresso or maybe Sage BE... I know they sell Sage DBs too, maybe oracles? But would there be a big market for a 500 quid grinder? Possibly some, but I imagine it's more expensive than the budget of 99% of people who shop for coffee gear at JL (and they wouldn't realise the benefit of investing in a good grinder anyway). You'd get the JL customer service though I suppose, might swing a few people. 

All I'm thinking is that there's no downside to having a big following on social media and if they have enough people posting pictures it might get them sales they wouldn't have got otherwise. If it became the next big thing to have in your kitchen they could be onto a winner. 

To be fair it seems they struggle to keep up with current demand with preorders been taken for months in advance.

they would have to step up manufacturing massively before approaching retail. 
If this publicity drive goes well then there will be lots of pissed off people when they realise they can’t actually get hold of one 😕.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Apr1985 said:

To be fair it seems they struggle to keep up with current demand with preorders been taken for months in advance.

they would have to step up manufacturing massively before approaching retail. 
If this publicity drive goes well then there will be lots of pissed off people when they realise they can’t actually get hold of one 😕.

Very true! 

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jaffro said:

Yeah that's a really fair point. The John Lewis or perhaps Lakeland crowd must be a good one to get if you can. I would have thought they'd be aiming for this anyway, maybe it just hasn't got there yet? 

Although... I imagine most people who walk into JL for a coffee machine are after something like nespresso or maybe Sage BE... I know they sell Sage DBs too, maybe oracles? But would there be a big market for a 500 quid grinder? Possibly some, but I imagine it's more expensive than the budget of 99% of people who shop for coffee gear at JL (and they wouldn't realise the benefit of investing in a good grinder anyway). You'd get the JL customer service though I suppose, might swing a few people. 

All I'm thinking is that there's no downside to having a big following on social media and if they have enough people posting pictures it might get them sales they wouldn't have got otherwise. If it became the next big thing to have in your kitchen they could be onto a winner. 

John Lewis might well be in their plans. BB have chosen not to stock them atm, but maybe they will in the future, so that's the nerd community sorted. Semi-nerd and definitely non-nerd would go to John Lewis. They do a £200 Sage grinder and often within whatever line there will be a top end expensive option, Niche could be that. You have people buying £2k Oracle Touch's there, but I'm not sure that is relevant, it's more the JL brand that means you want to shop there, rather than the money. Anyone getting into coffee will most likely read about Sage, check out JL and then see the Niche. More expensive = better so I'm not sure you'd need to 'really understand' how much better it is.

'there's no downside to having a big following on social media' - agree with that, it doesn't really hurt them. Some upgraders like me don't like it but it's not like I wouldn't buy one because I didn't like some market stunt.

Sage Barista Express.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CocoLoco said:

Is it? They are a very small, *ahem*, niche market/product. They have 18.5k followers which is miniscule, if they've done it before then success has been very limited. Their market is basically the demographic of this forum eg: old men. The 'less old men' don't like spamming social media, subjecting their friends to spam, muddying up their profile.

I get they want to expand, of course they do. Not sure this is the best way to go about it. This sort of thing targets a market/mideset that is much, much younger than the £500 coffee grinder market. Also leaves a bad taste in mouth of people like me looking to maybe upgrade to them. In fact, upgraders, those looking at £1500 'packages', those coming from Gaggias and Sages should be their primary target market.

It's the fastest and cheapest way of expanding a brand's reach. You just have to look at the interactions a post gets in terms of people being tagged in it, photos being shared, and drawing people into the product. They don't have to spend money on targeted advertising, they don't have to send out test units for reviews etc, you just offer something free and all of a sudden you've thousands of people sharing your product to their followers.

Personally would disagree with your assessment of their market because I don't think it's a fair reflection outside of this forum. There's a hell of a lot more movement in younger generations in the coffee scene, particularly now with the current situation (a hell of a lot of my mates have invested in machines and grinders since we're going to be WFH full time for the rest of the year at least). And if you look at some of their tagged posts on Instagram, it's in the same vein of the Linea Mini in a way, plenty of people clamouring over them due to the design/aesthetics.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's lazy, un-targeted and indiscriminate marketing which ultimately only serves to devalue the channel as people getting tag spammed ultimately start unfollowing the sources. There's no attempt to validate responses and in any way qualify the audience. A smarter approach might be 'Follow us and share/add this to your story for a chance to win. Tag a friend and for each one who follows/shares you'll get another chance to win'. They get meaningful and enduring engagements that are usable for future initiatives and mitigate some of the negative outcomes by encouraging the initial audience to be more selective in their propagation.

Without some specific market data and derived insight none of us can know the nature or size of their addressable audience and any effort to assert understanding of same without it is, while mildly entertaining, daft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Squidgyblack said:

It's the fastest and cheapest way of expanding a brand's reach. You just have to look at the interactions a post gets in terms of people being tagged in it, photos being shared, and drawing people into the product. They don't have to spend money on targeted advertising, they don't have to send out test units for reviews etc, you just offer something free and all of a sudden you've thousands of people sharing your product to their followers.

Personally would disagree with your assessment of their market because I don't think it's a fair reflection outside of this forum. There's a hell of a lot more movement in younger generations in the coffee scene, particularly now with the current situation (a hell of a lot of my mates have invested in machines and grinders since we're going to be WFH full time for the rest of the year at least). And if you look at some of their tagged posts on Instagram, it's in the same vein of the Linea Mini in a way, plenty of people clamouring over them due to the design/aesthetics.

 

Completely agree with the first part, definitely cheap and effective advertising. 

I guess that must result in sales so it's done it's job. Volume...don't know. New WFH crowd...maybe there's more than I thought of first timers willing to do £1k+ as their first foray (Niche and say a Bambino and accessories, something like that is the baseline, these lot aren't modding old Gaggias).

They have obviously thought about it and know better than me. And no reason they can't do it all - Insta that helps things out now, ramp up and get into John Lewis in 2021. Imagine they want to hit as many avenues as possible.

 

Sage Barista Express.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skizz said:

It's lazy, un-targeted and indiscriminate marketing which ultimately only serves to devalue the channel as people getting tag spammed ultimately start unfollowing the sources. There's no attempt to validate responses and in any way qualify the audience. A smarter approach might be 'Follow us and share/add this to your story for a chance to win. Tag a friend and for each one who follows/shares you'll get another chance to win'. They get meaningful and enduring engagements that are usable for future initiatives and mitigate some of the negative outcomes by encouraging the initial audience to be more selective in their propagation.

Without some specific market data and derived insight none of us can know the nature or size of their addressable audience and any effort to assert understanding of same without it is, while mildly entertaining, daft.

That's pretty much exactly what they've done though? Follow their account, share the post and for each tag in the comments it counts as an additional entry.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Squidgyblack said:

That's pretty much exactly what they've done though? Follow their account, share the post and for each tag in the comments it counts as an additional entry.

You're right, fair point, didn't read all the way through as have a fundamental dislike of this approach to social marketing as being the antithesis of good permission based activity. I'll add to my previous post then and say that their promotion should actively encourage people to only tag those who are likely to be interested in coffee, rather than a 'the more you tag the more you get' approach, which still largely serves to incentivise social spamming.

Edited by Skizz
Link to post
Share on other sites

One way you could fight back against these social spamming campaigns:

Enter by tagging the accounts of a bunch of other companies who run social spamming campaigns. If they are going to encourage spamming, they can be the ones to deal with having feeds full of spam. One person doing it wouldn't have much effect but if everyone did it and made it clear in their tagged post why they were doing it, I expect we would soon see the end of such lazy marketing.

I've never bothered as I rarely engage in social media but if I had too much time on my hands and was feeling slightly mischievous, this is what I would do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Apr1985 said:

One of you cool kids will have to fill me in. I am not on “the gram” 😀

Me neither....

Link to post
Share on other sites

is kinda short sighted given that most the people who buy them aint on social media

but ive friended, shared, and double liked as i want to win one lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not on it either and wont ever be. Feel a bit discriminated that they feel that this is the only way for them to get more people interested. Plenty of other ways that dont cost.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2020 at 00:38, DavecUK said:

I buy sausages and peel the skin off before frying. 

Ever tried Lorne sausage?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     


×
×
  • Create New...