The connected Pavoni... adding too many wires to a La Pavoni

After having a bit of fun with using a fan + PID to control grouphead temperature of my La Pavoni - I decided to take it a step further. I've been very interested looking at the pressure profile graphs which come out of the Decent machine, and I love the concept of the Smart Espresso Profiler - but not the cost so I've tried to replicate the ability to plot graphs of pressure and flow from my little lever machine.

So far think it's quite successful - I can plot live graphs with stats as I'm making a shot:

MVIMG_20200521_083025.thumb.jpg.fb88bab77fb4db3a92116fa3c9421221.jpg

I can then see fancy looking graphs on my phone (live if I want):

Screenshot_20200508-160530.thumb.jpg.c8bd8a1263e4febe2a5d32e57dea663e.jpg 

And then it automatically gets pushed into a google doc which records the profile of every shot I make and some of the key parameters (dose, grind etc)

You can see my dashboard of the last coffee I have made here (this live updates every time I make a coffee)

552960285_Annotation2020-05-22222519.thumb.jpg.08faa5767f0dd40f796deffda2b12ec2.jpg

I've had a lot of fun building it over the last couple of weeks - learnt a lot - it's based on a little arduino board, it's the first time I tried using anything like it so I've been remembering how to code (badly), messing around with load cells and scales, figuring out how to draw graphs by drawing lines on the screen, and making lots of cups of coffee.

DSCF0479.thumb.jpg.bbb0497c171de0e3828ef36450d0a334.jpg

Its really quite a simple setup, I've screwed the La Pavoni to a piece of plywood, and mounted a loadcell under each corner, so when I pull down the lever, I can measure how hard I'm pulling down the lever and then infer the pressure in the piston, which I can then plot. I then have stripped down a small cheap 0.1g scale and stole the pan and load-cell and have wired them up so I can measure the weight in the cup, and also calculate the flow rate.

I'm using an app/service I found called Blynky which gives me a nice app I can use on my phone where I have a simple interface where I can input things like the grind and which beans I'm using that gets sent to the arduino, and then when a coffee is finished, the arduino sends the data back to Blynky which forwards it to IFTTT, and then onwards into a googledoc. Not the most elegant but it gets the job done. I can also do a few other things like use the scale to record the dose of ground coffee, and I've set the system to stop recording when I lift the espresso off the scale at the end of a shot. 

I'm using a bunch of cheap crappy wiring so I get dodgy connections which is frustrating, but apart from that it's actually pretty easy to use. It's really satisfying to pull the lever, see the line shoot up, then use the graph to hold the pressure at a certain level, then see pressure start to drop and flow rate spike up. I do find I'm looking much more at the graph and not the coffee though!

Next steps would be to replace the separate temperature controller I'm using by adding the functionality onto the arduino. That way I could also log temperatures, but the digital temperature sensors I have seem to slow down the arduino a lot so not sure what to do about that yet. I'm struggling overall with temperature, as I haven't figured out an accurate way to measure the brew temperature so I can calibrate what grouphead temperature I should be using. By the time I manage to get a thermometer in the water I'm pretty sure it's cooled down a lot.

It's been a pretty fun project - really interesting experimenting with different grinds and profiles, trying to see if I can taste difference - and it's always so satisfying building something!

• Like 8

glenw.com  HG-1 + Europiccola (with lots of sensors attached)

Fascinating project! I am currently working on a custom GH temperature board for my Pavoni, nothing as complex as this though! I really enjoy the integration of old and new with projects like these!

• 5 months later...

Hi Glen,

Fascinating! And beautiful too 😊. I try to make exactly the same Modification on my Europiccola. I have already the Temperature Control, which is running perfectly and my Espressi taste already better.

My Plan is next to the (analog) Manometer a Pressure Sensor or Pressure Transducer to install and with Arduino Pressure Profile seen.

What a Pressure Sensor/Transducer have you bought? Where?

Where have you these connected? (On your La Pavoni. I can't the Connection seen.)

Any Word from you is helpfull to me😃

Greetings from Stuttgart/Germany,

Levi

Edited by balolevi
18 minutes ago, balolevi said:

Hi Glen,

Fascinating! And beautiful too 😊. I try to make exactly the same Modification on my Europiccola. I have already the Temperature Control, which is running perfectly and my Espressi taste already better.

My Plan is next to the (analog) Manometer a Pressure Sensor or Pressure Transducer to install and with Arduino Pressure Profile seen.

Where have you these connected? (On your La Pavoni. I can't the Connection seen.)

Levi

Hi Levi

So I cheated - I'm not actually measuring the pressure in the grouphead. What I've done is put 4 load-cells (pressure sensors) underneath the machine. (Happy to share the parts I used if you're interested) Using these I can calculate how much force I'm using to push the lever down, and then since I know the diameter of the piston, I can translate this to an estimated pressure. It would be better to be able to actually measure the pressure directly with a transducer. I started to do some research on this - but never finished as the current system works well for my needs.

I actually took the plastic base off the machine and screwed it directly to a piece of plywood. This makes it easier to place the load-cells underneath and has the added benefit of making the machine much more stable, it doesn't want to tip forward any more.

• Thanks 1

Hi Glenn, thank you for your quick Answer

I don't find the Way Picture (on my Modification) to attach. 

I have already a Wood Plate under... One Step nearer to your Project!

I would like the List of Parts 

and the List of Software/Apps you have used. 

How can I Picture insert? You will seen my Project is relative/cousin to your.

"more power Igor....my monster needs more power.....more POWER Igor !!"

Love it , love it, love it.....i might get a Pavoni just to geek out...graphs, wires, sensors, more graphs...ah bliss 😎

Recipe for success :- take 1 Sage machine, 1 flame, 5 litres of petrol and mix...add more petrol if required.

Oh my days. I'm back because I'm about to buy a la pavoni (don't ask... There was an actual small explosion 🤣) and this is one of the first threads I see... Oh the possibilities. I don't have time to buy my own coffee anymore but I'm contemplating this!! 

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> Fracino Cherub—> La Pav Europiccola:

:Mazzer SuperJolly:

:Hario V60+aeropress:

6 hours ago, balolevi said:

How can I Picture insert?

Hi,

you can attach a picture easily ( which will insert into the message you write)

when you open your message field here, at the bottom left you will see a paperclip, either drag the files, or click on "choose files" (that is what I do as I am not tekky enough to drag things) and once you post the message, the picture will be there.

Edited by Catlady101
  • Thanks 1

I know nothing 😜

Hi Glenn, I see you have since a couple of Days your GoogleDocs not refreshed. Are you allright? 

I have my Europiccola already/partially digitalised. A pressure Sensor is installed and it functioned, i can see the Dates/Pressure in the Serielle Display. So far so good.

I will try the Data with Blynk App: seeing and visualise.

What for Widget do you use in Blynk? (Is this free or payed?)

How do you transfer the datas from Arduino(Esp?) to Blynk? (usb, ethernet wifi or mqtt?)

One Widget and so many different sort of Data?

I would be happy of your Help :)

Best Greetings

Edited by balolevi

Hi Glen,

your Googledoc Brew is yet from 17. Nov....Hey, are you OK?

I have already an Pressure Profile as Graph. But, I have so many Questions.

I can not the Time fix, wen the Plot beginning and wen finishing

I can not save the Data. I can only make a Screenshot 

(How can I start and stop the Plotting?)

But i am happy that i could this Modification realize with so little Arduino/Programming/Electronic Knowledge. But there were much-much Time and Fun and Nerve

and the Project goes ahead :), a Temp-Sensor und Digital Scale for Arduino are on the Way...

Wow, i can finally attach Fotos :))

Europpicola_with_Arduino.jpg

Pressure Profile in Blynk.jpg

Edited by balolevi
  • Like 1
On 16/11/2020 at 10:24, balolevi said:

Hi Glen,

Levi

Hello! Yes I'm ok! Don't worry - just because there are no new coffee's logged I have not stopped drinking coffee. I didn't realise that google docs has a maximum number of cells in a spreadsheet and I hit it, so the data has now started going into a new sheet. Took me a while today to figure out why it all stopped working.

Looks like you're making great progress - when you see the first data come through on your phone it feels like magic 🙂 What pressure sensor are you using?

I promised you a list of parts:

- For the scales I have under the machine to measure the force I'm using on the handle - I use this set from amazon

- For the scales to weigh the cup, I use another one of the load cell amplifiers from the amazon link above, and I use a loadcell I stole from one of these scales. Its quite simple to wire it all up

- I run the arduino code on a M5Stack which I like because it has three buttons, wifi and a screen

I'm also happy to share my arduino code with you if you want - but I have to warn you it is very ugly!

I'm not saving the data from blynk, I press a button which starts recording, then I write the data (running time, pressure, shot weight) into an array every half second. When the shot is finished, I then make each parameter into a string, and use the blynk webhook to send it to blynk. There's then a convoluted and probably over-complicated set of services used to get it into a google sheets spreadsheet. They're all simple services which are quite easy to set up

Create array => Transform array into strings => Fire blynk webhook => Fire IFTTT webhook => Google Doc  

I'm sure there is a much more elegant way to do this bit!

• Like 1

Hi, i'm glad to hear you are well😀

thanks for your List and Explanation. 

My Pressur Sensor ist these. It function fine. 

Your M5Stack has the same Functions as my Arduino Uno: as a Center Unit?

I can add eventually a Display.  And a Wifi Unit must I also add. (I didn't now till now about the M5Stack Unit). The scale is on the Way.

today I could the Temperature with a Max7566 Sensor to my Setup attach.

For your Arduino Code would I be happy! Don't bother it is ugly.

These Code contain your Blynk proceed/Setups too? I would more about know. Array, spring etc. is for me now complicated.

4 hours ago, GlenW said:

I press a button which starts recording

We can you the Datastream record? it sound genius!

4 hours ago, GlenW said:

and use the blynk webhook to send it to blynk

is these a writing Mistake?

10 hours ago, balolevi said:

Your M5Stack has the same Functions as my Arduino Uno: as a Center Unit?

Yes

And a Wifi Unit must I also add.

How are you getting data into Blynk without wifi?

15 hours ago, GlenW said:

and use the blynk webhook to send it to blynk

is these a writing Mistake?

I mean in the code on the arduino, I send the data to the blynk using a blynk webhook. 

Then in the blynk app, I've set up the blybk webhook to send the data to IFTTT... and then I have IFTTT set up to send the data to google docs. Totally overcomplicated but it works!

I'll PM you my arduino code