Posted (edited)

Hi guys, 

I've been reading all the threads I can find on this topic, but still am torn between the 270wi and the NZ... I have an old Gaggia Classic + Encore that I'm looking to upgrade. I pull 2/3 shots of Espresso daily, and at times make filter w/ a Moccamaster on weekends mostly. 

Sette 270wi: I've heard grind is super fluffy with no clumping, and the built in scale does appeal to me. 

I'm, currently using a makeshift WDT instrument to un-clump my Encore grinds, and transfer to my portafilter using a Motta dosing cup. So this would be a similar workstream on the NZ I guess... 

Niche Zero: Heard it's way less Noisy than the 270wi. And that the built and general quality is just better, but is that true? 

Any thoughts, experience or guidance on which would be the best bet, very much appreciated :)

Thanks! 

Edited by GianlucaBrisi

Gaggia Classic 2011 (PID Mr Shades, IMS NT shower screen, brass holder), Baratza Encore (soon upgrading to Niche Zero), Baristapro NT 18g competition basket, Motta Levelling Tool 58.4mm

10 minutes ago, GianlucaBrisi said:

I'm, currently using a makeshift WDT instrument to un-clump my Encore grinds, and transfer to my portafilter using a Motta dosing cup. So this would be a similar workstream on the NZ I guess... 

Niche Zero: Heard it's way less Noisy than the 270wi. And that the built and general quality is just better, but is that true? 

Not necessarily. I grind directly into the PF using a funnel. You can of course use the dosing cup. I find there's no clumping when grinding directly into the filter but it does clump a little in the cup, probably just due to the grinds falling and compressing against each other under the weight of the dose. There aren't clumps falling out of the grinder...

The burrs are bigger so probably produce better quality but they're a different design too. The Lido E has 48mm etzinger burrs, the Pharos is an upgrade on that and the Niche is a very small upgrade on the Pharos. The Baratza has 40mm etzinger burrs (will have a different geometry to the Lido) and a unique mechanism with the outer burr spinning, no idea what effect this has...Baratza grinders do have a reputation for breaking though.

• Thanks 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Avoid the Sette for Moccamaster. Unless you hold on to the Encore for that.

• Thanks 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I was debating the same two grinders. Settled on niche. Due to the single dosing, simplicity in design and better reputation in regards to build quality. Waiting for my niche to come in June, can’t wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I love the Sette's ability to weigh the output dosage but tbh unless you leave beans in the hopper (or keep topping up or emptying out every day) you will end up weighing your input dosage anyway and with the (to all intents and purposes) zero retention of the Niche it's a non-issue. So really the only comparison is the grind quality - can't speak for the Niche (yet!), but the Sette is pretty good - however everyone seems to rave about the Niche so if you can wait (and aren't going to be grinding many shots a day, therefore leaving beans in the hopper) I think that the Niche might be the sensible choice...

And yes the Sette is also noisy and apparently unreliable (although mine's been fine with light usage)

Edited by Kannan
  • Like 1

Decent Pro 1.3, Sage DB (Slayer, Brass OPV and Pump modded, IMS Screen), Titus EK43s SSP Burrs, Mignon Silenzio, Niche coming soon, Osmio Zero.

3 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Not necessarily. I grind directly into the PF using a funnel. You can of course use the dosing cup. I find there's no clumping when grinding directly into the filter but it does clump a little in the cup, probably just due to the grinds falling and compressing against each other under the weight of the dose. There aren't clumps falling out of the grinder...

The burrs are bigger so probably produce better quality but they're a different design too. The Lido E has 48mm etzinger burrs, the Pharos is an upgrade on that and the Niche is a very small upgrade on the Pharos. The Baratza has 40mm etzinger burrs (will have a different geometry to the Lido) and a unique mechanism with the outer burr spinning, no idea what effect this has...Baratza grinders do have a reputation for breaking though.

Thanks @Rob1, good to hear you're getting success with grinding directly into the PF with a funnel.
And thanks for the detailed burr breakdown, appreciate your expertise here :)

Gaggia Classic 2011 (PID Mr Shades, IMS NT shower screen, brass holder), Baratza Encore (soon upgrading to Niche Zero), Baristapro NT 18g competition basket, Motta Levelling Tool 58.4mm

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MWJB said:

Avoid the Sette for Moccamaster. Unless you hold on to the Encore for that.

@MWJB You're not the first one telling me this... any reason why? My encore is great for Moccamaster coarser grinds, seems strange the the Sette wouldn't be as it's a superior grinder... weird. Would love to know more if you have had any bad experiences here and why. 
Thanks! 

Edited by GianlucaBrisi

Oh god I'm far from an expert. Just had a couple of grinders that happen to be vaguely comparative.

• Like 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

2 hours ago, Kannan said:

I love the Sette's ability to weigh the output dosage but tbh unless you leave beans in the hopper (or keep topping up or emptying out every day) you will end up weighing your input dosage anyway and with the (to all intents and purposes) zero retention of the Niche it's a non-issue. So really the only comparison is the grind quality - can't speak for the Niche (yet!), but the Sette is pretty good - however everyone seems to rave about the Niche so if you can wait (and aren't going to be grinding many shots a day, therefore leaving beans in the hopper) I think that the Niche might be the sensible choice...

And yes the Sette is also noisy and apparently unreliable (although mine's been fine with light usage)

Thanks @Kannan that is a valid point, it seems like keeping the grinds in an air tight container/bag might be the best choice vs in hopper for days on end... 
Does this mean you're considering moving to a Niche... and therefore parting ways with your Sette? :)

4 minutes ago, GianlucaBrisi said:

@MWJB You're not the first one telling me this... any reason why? My encore is great for Moccamaster coarser grinds, seems strange the the Sette wouldn't be as it's a superior grinder... weird. Would love to know more if you have had any bad experiences here and why. 
Thanks! 

I have a Sette 30, it doesn't have the range to go from espresso to filter. Fine for espresso.

Different, rather than "superior".

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, GianlucaBrisi said:

therefore parting ways with your Sette?

Lol, yes I have a Niche coming soon and once I get to compare I will probably sell the Sette... I rarely use it these days - as I said though, unless you are loading the hopper I really would probably lean towards the Niche, in fact that is one other advantage of the Sette - you don't actually have the option of a hopper on the Niche and moreover if you want more than your average dose of beans you can't really load a Niche up...

Edited by Kannan
  • Thanks 1

Decent Pro 1.3, Sage DB (Slayer, Brass OPV and Pump modded, IMS Screen), Titus EK43s SSP Burrs, Mignon Silenzio, Niche coming soon, Osmio Zero.

Don’t have my niche yet, comes in June, but surely the fact that folks mention it can easily go from expresso to filter very easily with changing too much is a massive plus over sette?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BE - White niche - V60 - Joey custom tamper - WPM - Acaia lunar 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Joe shorrock said:

go from expresso to filter very easily

It's actually not that hard on the Sette - the markings are clear plus the stepless fine adjustment mean you can switch easily and consistently - however that does assume you drink both regularly too, which I don't so never been a particular issue for me...

Edited by Kannan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a Sette 270 (non-WI) for espresso and a Virtuoso for filter and switched to the Niche around half a year ago. Never once looked back. The Niche is a pleasure to use and grind quality for my home use is excellent for espresso and very good for filter. In comparison to the Sette it feels the Niche delivers more uniform grind output. But that is totally subjective.

On a practical note I just love to have only one grinder left and a quiet one. The Sette is screaming in comparison to the Niche. It almost got to a point that I didn’t want to use it in the early morning not to wake anyone.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Profitec Pro 300 | Baratza Sette 270 | Barista Hustle 58,5mm Tamper || Kalita Wave 185 | Hario V60 1 | Hario Woodneck | Aeropress || Madebyknock Aergrind | Baratza Virtuoso || Hario scales ||

1 hour ago, ElPaulse said:

I had a Sette 270 (non-WI) for espresso and a Virtuoso for filter and switched to the Niche around half a year ago. Never once looked back. The Niche is a pleasure to use and grind quality for my home use is excellent for espresso and very good for filter. In comparison to the Sette it feels the Niche delivers more uniform grind output. But that is totally subjective.

On a practical note I just love to have only one grinder left and a quiet one. The Sette is screaming in comparison to the Niche. It almost got to a point that I didn’t want to use it in the early morning not to wake anyone.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

How do your find your 300? 

5 hours ago, Akp said:

I was debating the same two grinders. Settled on niche. Due to the single dosing, simplicity in design and better reputation in regards to build quality. Waiting for my niche to come in June, can’t wait emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kannan said:

Lol, yes I have a Niche coming soon and once I get to compare I will probably sell the Sette...

@Kannan Oh nice! Would love to hear your thoughts once you have both to compare. 
And if you ever decide to part ways with the 270wi, I might very well be interested :)

Edited by GianlucaBrisi