Receiving the NFC prompted me to give my Niche it's first proper clean and then fit the disc.

I was surprised how easy it is to clean the unit.  Even where there was some coffee it came away with no effort.  So squeaky clean, disc fitted and hopefully recalibrated correctly........let's see what happens in the morning.

The current beans I'm using are Roastworks  Espresso on setting 14. Cheers

• Like 3

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

So before the full Niche clean and fitting of the disc.

18g in, 32g out in 26sec. Niche on 14.     After.....
18g in, 33g out in 28 sec. Niche on 13.

I went a bit finer after reading on here that the disc necessitates this. But I don't think it really does.

Less static, even quieter when grinding.  All seems good.  And on this occasion I weighed the grinds out and on first use, after a full clean,  the retention was 0.4g.  

• Like 1

I'd like to know what the variable is here, as I like (most?) others had to go somewhere between 3 and 4 marks finer.

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

4 hours ago, catpuccino said:

I'd like to know what the variable is here, as I like (most?) others had to go somewhere between 3 and 4 marks finer.

I'll see what happens tomorrow.  I think I'm onto a new beans packet after that.  Cheers

10 hours ago, catpuccino said:

The variable is probably the MK1 human.... ;)

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Before the NFC the 10gr beans disapeared partially in the throat and I used a small silicone lid. After the NFC the beans stayed on top of that and the silicone lid didn't seem neccesary  anymore. But I had to put the grind multiple marks coarser ... not finer. Same bean, same Acaia, same machine (V at that moment) same profile etc. Before and after NFC extremely precise and repeatable. So I thought "huh? - Ok, not important." I did clean and recalibrated the Zero later - but that didn't seem to matter at all.

On 20/05/2020 at 13:36, catpuccino said:

Probably my distribution!!!  It's settled at three marks finer after installing the NFC.

The disc is a good improvement! 

On 19/05/2020 at 14:06, nicholasj said:

Receiving the NFC prompted me to give my Niche it's first proper clean and then fit the disc.

I was surprised how easy it is to clean the unit.  Even where there was some coffee it came away with no effort.  So squeaky clean, disc fitted and hopefully recalibrated correctly........let's see what happens in the morning.

The current beans I'm using are Roastworks  Espresso on setting 14. Cheers

hello, did you follow any particular guide when cleaning? i’ve yet to do my first and owned for 4 months

Posted (edited)
On 03/06/2020 at 22:45, tonnesofquestions said:

hello, did you follow any particular guide when cleaning? i’ve yet to do my first and owned for 4 months

You'll find a few on YouTube.

Edited by nicholasj

9 hours ago, nicholasj said:

You'll find a few on YouTube.

Perfect thanks! Was just curious which vid you thought was helpful. I’ve committed DaveCs vid to memory months ago but haven’t taken the plunge yet.

also waiting for my Molykote 111 to arrive

• Like 1

seeing how he puts back that still-dirty outer burr makes me shudder :)

• Like 1

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

also waiting for my Molykote 111 to arrive

Just wondering what you use the Molykote on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Me too.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

1 hour ago, salty said:

Just wondering what you use the Molykote on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will use it for the thread which goes around the Niche’s silver bean cup

1 hour ago, Stanic said:

seeing how he puts back that still-dirty outer burr makes me shudder :)

I just brushed (albeit a good brushing) the outer burr is there something else I should have done? 

1 hour ago, tonnesofquestions said:

I just brushed (albeit a good brushing) the outer burr is there something else I should have done? 

his workflow is ok, just when I saw all that caked on coffee dust being put back inside..brr

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 00.15.13.jpg

• Thanks 1

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V