IGNORED

Hello from Durham

Hello all.

I've been into espresso for a good few years now having initially got the bug when my wife bought me a Gaggia classic. Upgraded to a Rocket R58 a few years ago when I got serious about the hobby. Since then I've changed my grinder from a Vario to a Ceado E37s and have been been going further into the rabbit hole since!

Recently I've modded the R58 to include the ECM flow control device and also ECM joystick taps (the latter mod mainly for asthetics).

I'm almost exclusively an espresso drinker, though will have the odd cappuccino on he weekend. Hoping to get some ideas from people on flow/pressure profiles and bean reccomendations in particular. My background is in science and I love to geek out on detail so am hoping to experiment with flavours and ideas.

Cheers, Andrew

20200506_215418.jpg

Edited by axpetts
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, axpetts said:

Hello all.

I've been into espresso for a good few years now having initially got the bug when my wife bought me a Gaggia classic. Upgraded to a Rocket R58 a few years ago when I got serious about the hobby. Since then I've changed my grinder from a Vario to a Ceado E37s and have been been going further into the rabbit hole since!

Recently I've modded the R58 to include the ECM flow control device and also ECM joystick taps (the latter mod mainly for asthetics).

I'm almost exclusively an espresso drinker, though will have the odd cappuccino on he weekend. Hoping to get some ideas from people on flow/pressure profiles and bean reccomendations in particular. My background is in science and I love to geek out on detail so am hoping to experiment with flavours and ideas.

Cheers, Andrew

20200506_215418.jpg

Very nice set up ūü§©

Welcome from Northumberland.....have you tried out many local roasters matey and what dye of bean do you like. I am a lever man over pump machines......nice and shiny is your machine, putting mine to shame!

Bye Bye...........come back when you have less time

Hi there. The only local ones I've tried are Pumphreys and Osbourne coffee. Both were a little too harsh for my taste, especially Pumphreys. I prefer mid roast, caramel/nut/fudge flavours. How about you? Any good local rosters to reccomend?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Tynemouth Coffee Company and Ouseburn Coffee. The latter are lighter roasts on the whole. Every has there favourites! I buy Tynemouth quite often but I like there slightly darker roast levels.

Tynemouth Coffee Company and Ouseburn Coffee. The latter are lighter roasts on the whole. Every has there favourites! I buy Tynemouth quite often but I like there slightly darker roast levels.
Will give the Tynemouth a try as I haven't seen that before. Mostly been drinking coffee from Rave, Square Mile and Hasbean so will be nice to go local

1 minute ago, axpetts said:

Will give the Tynemouth a try as I haven't seen that before. Mostly been drinking coffee from Rave, Square Mile and Hasbean so will be nice to go local

They have a special on at the moment. One kilo per month for 3 months is £50 delivered. You can choose anything they have and as a bonus you get an additional 500 grams free!

https://www.tynemouthcoffee.com/product/beans/3-month-coffee-subscription-1kg-bag-delivered-every-month-for-3-months/

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya @axpetts  I have a Rocket Cellini (not quite in the same league as the R58!) and was thinking of swapping out the taps for joysticks. Just wondering how you found this process. Was it particularly difficult to do? Special tools required? Also ... where did you get the joysticks from?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Wellcome to the forum!

Hiya @axpetts  I have a Rocket Cellini (not quite in the same league as the R58!) and was thinking of swapping out the taps for joysticks. Just wondering how you found this process. Was it particularly difficult to do? Special tools required? Also ... where did you get the joysticks from?
Sorry for the barrage of questions.
Wellcome to the forum!
Hi there! It was really easy to swap them and I definitely prefer them. All you need to do is remove the top panel (sides as well for better access but can get away without if you are nimble) and undo the M12 nuts attaching the copper pipes to the original valves. Undo the hex bolts on the front with an Allen key and the valves can be swapped out. I really like the ECM valves and ordered them from a German site. The owner speaks English and was really helpful

https://www.kaffeewerk-dresden.de/ecm-heidelberg/ecm-espressomaschinen-ersatzteile/ecm-synchronika-ersatzteile/

• Like 1
On 07/05/2020 at 16:33, dfk41 said:

Welcome from Northumberland.....have you tried out many local roasters

Have you tried anything from Pilgrims Coffee, up on Holy Island? I don't seem to hear about them much, but the cafe is great, and I've had several good shots of their Daily Bread and Holy Grail blends in Camber Coffee.

In Newcastle I really rate Gold Box Roastery.

55 minutes ago, CoolingFlush said:

Have you tried anything from Pilgrims Coffee, up on Holy Island? I don't seem to hear about them much, but the cafe is great, and I've had several good shots of their Daily Bread and Holy Grail blends in Camber Coffee.

In Newcastle I really rate Gold Box Roastery.

I have only tried their stuff on a visit to the island. There are quite a few local roasters around now but I find most err on the side of lighter which is not to my liking....always willing to give things a go though. Have meant to try Gold Box but it always seems that I have far too much coffee on the go! I bought 7 kilos at the start of lockdown, forgetting that no-one would be around to hep me drink it!

• Like 1