Pleevus

Osmio Zero interest

Evening all,

Missed the boat on the last round and have probably not been on the forum long enough to start my own round, just wanted to express an interest in the next if anyone else is keen?

Posted (edited)

my wife might take some convincing but I am interested.

EDIT: in the osmio zero! 😄

Edited by facboy
  • Haha 1

If the offer is still available and someone sets up the next round, I'll happily get involved.  If no one does, I'll happily save my money. I'm not sure which my preferred scenario is.

Posted (edited)

3 more to go that's not many. Will soon be six

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I did the last one and happy to coordinate this 5th round of you guys sign up to 6 in total. It’s dead easy and you will love yours. let me just check it’s still ok with Osmio and if so will post round 5. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Badgerman said:

I did the last one and happy to coordinate this 5th round of you guys sign up to 6 in total. It’s dead easy and you will love yours. let me just check it’s still ok with Osmio and if so will post round 5. 

That would be great if you don't mind.

I'd love to get in on this too if it goes ahead as was quite sad that I missed the last one! Thanks for starting on the arrangements @Badgerman

• Like 1

LR, ZM

Oh wow. Thanks a lot,@Badgerman

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

@Fez not sure if u missed it but the group buy is being coordinated in another thread: 

Edited by facboy

Come on me old mucka, slow out the blocks @Fez

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I was about to put my name down on the thread over the weekend when I saw it but upon reflection I don't really know how much I'd benefit from an osmio. 

Putting aside the initial cost which is a good amount of money and the space it'll take which I'd rather not clutter up, there is no cost saving for me as my bottled water usage is about the same as replacement filters per year.

Tap water where I live tastes great for drinking and tea etc

So the only big thing that would make sense for me is if the coffee tasted far better with one compared to volvic? Is this the case for those letter the osmio add minerals back in? Is the coffee going to blow me away or is it going to be fairly similar?

LR, ZM

If quality tea is clear and good tasting, I’m afraid you won’t gain allot by getting an RO unit with a remineralisation cartridge.

Those who gain from switching to an RO unit, is mostly those who suffer from hard water, or where the composition of tap water is to far off, to give good and tasty results or people who live in areas where the hardness varies. alternatively it can also be used by those individuals who wants to play with GH and KH concentrates.

I don’t believe it is strictly necessary for that many northern or middle europeans to filter their tap water, unless they want to use it for beverages, fine cooking and/or have a desire to extend the lifetime of household appliances and water pipes, the water in itself is clean enough for drinking in most places (although there are a few places where the quality is lacking)

I would not think it’s advisable to exclusively drink water from filters, as allot leaves micro plastic in the filtered water, secondly bacteria is also a concern.

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

1 hour ago, Fez said:

my bottled water usage is about the same as replacement filters per year

Only one thing I would add to that is the plastic wastage of bottled water not to mention production, supply and distribution resources etc - not sure actually how many recyclable plastic bottles actually get recycled...

Decent Pro 1.3, Sage DB (Slayer, Brass OPV and Pump modded, IMS Screen), Titus EK43s SSP Burrs, Mignon Silenzio, Niche coming soon, Osmio Zero.

36 minutes ago, malling said:

If quality tea is clear and good tasting, I’m afraid you won’t gain allot by getting an RO unit with a remineralisation cartridge.

Those who gain from switching to an RO unit, is mostly those who suffer from hard water, or where the composition of tap water is to far off, to give good and tasty results or people who live in areas where the hardness varies. alternatively it can also be used by those individuals who wants to play with GH and KH concentrates.

I don’t believe it is strictly necessary for that many northern or middle europeans to filter their tap water, unless they want to use it for beverages, fine cooking and/or have a desire to extend the lifetime of household appliances and water pipes, the water in itself is clean enough for drinking in most places (although there are a few places where the quality is lacking)

I would not think it’s advisable to exclusively drink water from filters, as allot leaves micro plastic in the filtered water, secondly bacteria is also a concern.

When you say leaves plastic, do you mean from the filter or that was already in the water?

When you say leaves plastic, do you mean from the filter or that was already in the water?

I have seen some test of filtration system, including RO system, where a higher amount of micro plastic where found in the water that has been filtered then the incoming water.

Again it very much depends on the quality of the system, some better system can theoretically reduce micro plastic, especially RO systems, but unfortunately people buy cheap stuff that isn’t necessarily safe. So it’s more a reminder to buy quality components/systems.

And yes obviously any filtration system will lead to plastic waste, obviously better than bottled water, but plastic waste is plastic waste, and there is quite allot of plastic used in those filters, so although better it is not perfect.

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

8 minutes ago, malling said:

and there is quite allot of plastic used in those filters, so although better it is not perfect.

Yeah this is actually one of my gripes with the Osmio, I wish those filters were at least returnable for re-use...

• Like 1

Decent Pro 1.3, Sage DB (Slayer, Brass OPV and Pump modded, IMS Screen), Titus EK43s SSP Burrs, Mignon Silenzio, Niche coming soon, Osmio Zero.

Yeah this is actually one of my gripes with the Osmio, I wish those filters were at least returnable for re-use...

Unfortunately that is a common problem. Way to few offer that solution, it’s something that needs to be addressed.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, malling said:

I have seen some test of filtration system, including RO system, where a higher amount of micro plastic where found in the water that has been filtered then the incoming water.

Again it very much depends on the quality of the system, some better system can theoretically reduce micro plastic, especially RO systems, but unfortunately people buy cheap stuff that isn’t necessarily safe. So it’s more a reminder to buy quality components/systems.

And yes obviously any filtration system will lead to plastic waste, obviously better than bottled water, but plastic waste is plastic waste, and there is quite allot of plastic used in those filters, so although better it is not perfect.

That's really interesting.

35 minutes ago, Kannan said:

Definitely a lot less plastic than bottled. Bottled also requires transport and is very heavy so will have a pretty big carbon footprint. While not perfect, I think it's still a good way of looking after the machine and reducing waste.

Don't worry once it comes will be a light bulb moment 😂💡

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ShotsFired37 said:

Looks like I missed the boat for round 6.

Here's hoping for a round 7 :)

You can always start a round 7, the sooner you start, the sooner it happens. Or you can sit and wait while others say the same thing.

P.S. Oh the filters can be taken to some recycling stations and are accepted. Check with your local one.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I also checked the Osmio web page as I am sure I had read something about recycling.

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/zip-portable-reverse-osmosis-system.html

It's about halfway down before the videos start

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

On 21/05/2020 at 10:52, ShotsFired37 said:

Looks like I missed the boat for round 6.

Here's hoping for a round 7 :)

I've just moved house, away from my nice free water, so reading the reviews of this, it looks like just the ticket. 

If you're planning to start a group buy I'll join the list, if not I will read up on what's required and kick it off later on today. One week with trekking to the shop for bottled water has tipped me over the edge! 

B

Set one up people will jump in.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I'd agree. There's a "new" one on eBay at present (unwanted present) with extra set of filters , so the same as we get for £321. It's starting bid is at £200, it's debatable whether the seller has knowingly agreed to post the item for the sum of £3.10 or not (I suspect not, and they assume people will pay extra for delivery, or collect in person). It has 5 days to go and I fully expect it will make more than the £321 of the forum deal, because non-forum-members will see that as £454 worth of goods (£399+£55). You could wait it out and see if you can get it cheaply, or get group buy no7 list up and running.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osmio-Zero-Installation-Portable-RO-Water-Filter-Kettle-White/153947073962

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo