Chainlinephil

New Londinium LR + dongle and App Excitement!

So, after much deliberation, a new grinder via @coffeechap and a fair bit of 'chat' has rapidly spiralled into a new LR! I have run my Izzo Alex for the last 17 years and BB was wee operation.. Never had, but always admired Levers. 

After diving into the rabbit hole and taking stock of what I think I like in terms of coffee I decided the LR is the daddy for what I want particularly with the new features embedded in the DPI module.

Given I was considering Slayer/DC MIna, Synesso Hydra type machines its a departure, but the flexibility offered along with the traditional lever extraction profile along with the tactile nature and all of those video's of luscious espresso shorts from naked PF's set to Jazz out of NL tipped me over the edge. Add to that CC's objective advice, which very much centred on the grinder, it's done.

After a couple of weeks with the Mythos 1 CP it has seriously upped my game with the IZZO similar to first getting the Acaia Lunar scale. I was coming from the old standard back in the day of the Mazzer Mini E and it was beginning to frustrate me. Grind consistency, lack of retention leading to quick and accurate dialling in for my preferred beverages has lead to a quick progression in consistency and flavour management. it's a revelation, I'm drinking espresso again... so..

LR shipped and scheduled to arrive tomorrow thanks to some key workers. Shipping with the dongle now and the app has been published.

Many thanks also to Reiss for engaging in objective discussion about the machine, grinder experiences and wider topics.

I have some light roasts on order, some funky stuff in the cupboard. Can't wait now.. Pics may follow. My skilz may not run to the jazz but I shall be having a play with the app and variable PI one I have had a teach in from CC.

• Like 10

Enjoy.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

All good stuff, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to the pics and first impression. Plenty of Londinium users on here. :good:

• Like 1

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Thanks Chaps. It's been an invaluable resource lurking as I have 😉 I'm not sure my wife is as happy with the impact on one's bank balance, but the original business case for the (at the time) scary expensive Alex and Mazzer was they would last 20 years or so and be easily maintained, which was true, just a couple of Pressure stats, on/off light, a Gicar and a level probe. I hope the Londinium gives the same service 🙂

7 minutes ago, Chainlinephil said:

Thanks Chaps. It's been an invaluable resource lurking as I have 😉 I'm not sure my wife is as happy with the impact on one's bank balance, but the original business case for the (at the time) scary expensive Alex and Mazzer was they would last 20 years or so and be easily maintained, which was true, just a couple of Pressure stats, on/off light, a Gicar and a level probe. I hope the Londinium gives the same service 🙂

I think the Londinium will be easier t maintain. No backflushing etc. and I think there is a video knocking around somewhere of @The Systemic Kid doing a ring change on the grouphead. Just remember to use a full portafilter before letting go of the lever, unless you want a sore chin :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Congratulations 😁 How exciting, the L-R is a fabulous machine 😁 

As Rhys says, Beware of that lever. Never, ever stand over it when pulling a shot. It’s like a bomb going off if, for example, the portafilter isn’t fully engaged and you lift the lever for the shot! You only do it once!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and MC4-Duo on order  /  Leather Tamper Mat, MAX Mat and Tamper Stand by Mildred's Bar Towels! / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Towel Vendor / KafaTek and Londinium Fan

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

#MildredMittens #BusyLittleMen 

Sounds like a great combo, Mythos and LR! Looking forward to those naked extractions :)

• Like 1

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

You're going to love it! 

I just ordered my dongle this morning 😁

• Like 1

LR, ZM

3 hours ago, Chainlinephil said:

Given I was considering Slayer/DC MIna, Synesso Hydra type machines its a departure, but the flexibility offered along with the traditional lever extraction profile along with the tactile nature and all of those video's of luscious espresso shorts from naked PF's set to Jazz out of NL tipped me over the edge. Add to that CC's objective advice, which very much centred on the grinder, it's done.

Interesting. I'm in a similar position. Fancy a new machine- looking down the Slayer, GS3, Synesso route, but love the idea of the new LR and the variable pre-infusion etc.

Can i ask how far you got down researching the other machines? Did you see any up close or manage to use any single groups?

Machine: Londinium L1 (2012-2016)

Grinder: Titus EK43S

Beans: Typically; Machina Espresso, Baristocracy or Goldbox.

Instagram: andrewrellim

Linky to changing your ring things on yer piston if that doesn't sound toooo kinky

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Now there's a very dodgy looking bloke with a red jacket loitering around... :classic_rolleyes::classic_laugh:

Who let him in??🤪

• Haha 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

2 hours ago, arellim said:

Interesting. I'm in a similar position. Fancy a new machine- looking down the Slayer, GS3, Synesso route, but love the idea of the new LR and the variable pre-infusion etc.

Can i ask how far you got down researching the other machines? Did you see any up close or manage to use any single groups?

Much interwebbing on all of them, I can be very geeky! USed and ongoing discusions with a with a friends Rocket R Nine One.  Had discussions with former Mina owner and UK Slayer distrib.  and GS3 owners. Also considered Descent.

I concluded that, despite not being totally in love with the looks (minority?) I was going to go Slayer. I liked the mechanical aspect of the control,  hadn't really considered levers originally at all. It was suggested and I went all in to similar level of research, the more I looked into it the more the Londinium appealed. The final push was the finding out the dongle and app to enable long PI shots was imminent and that not only did it fit the bill for simplicity and longevity but that it would allow for a diversion of funds into heeding the repeated advice that I should spend money on the grinder.

I did masses of research into the temp stability of the group etc. then chatted to Reiss and CC and concluded that for me I would lose nothing for my level of skill with the LR Vs the other machines,  learn a lot and get to use something very tactile.

• Thanks 1

Dongle has arrived and been fitted and it all seems to work as expected. Its so nice to be able to change the PI without popping off the panels.

On a related note I'm really surprised it doesn't have the little screws you usually get with these sort of interfaces. It feels very loose and liable to fall out over time. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Dongle has arrived and been fitted and it all seems to work as expected. Its so nice to be able to change the PI without popping off the panels.

On a related note I'm really surprised it doesn't have the little screws you usually get with these sort of interfaces. It feels very loose and liable to fall out over time. 

Yes, same here. Had it working. Then went out for an hour and now it isn’t working and won’t connect. Out of interest, did yours ever 'breathe blue' on the device?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and MC4-Duo on order  /  Leather Tamper Mat, MAX Mat and Tamper Stand by Mildred's Bar Towels! / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Yes, same here. Had it working. Then went out for an hour and now it isn’t working and won’t connect. Out of interest, did yours ever 'breathe blue' on the device?
Just installed mine too, must say however, the finish is pretty shoddy :(
Took a good few minutes of retrying to get it to connect, don't know if holding what I assume is the reset button for a few seconds was what did it in the end. There was definitely no blinking light as suggested by the app.
Now it's connected the response is instant which will be fun. I did notice though that you can't adjust offset on the app so I checked on the PI module before closing things up and it was down at -1.9. I guess I must have mistakenly adjusted that one day while trying to fumble about with mirrors and bendy wrists. We've concluded that it needs to be left at -1.0 right?
e11abf10457b5d2e72bb638c8b222d36.jpgc02ae9e99e6fac014809d57b1741b743.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LR - EK43S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Sorry, but yours looks like it has been dragged round the workshop floor @christos_geo and while I don’t want to sound negative . . . let me say, I was a bit surprised at the appearance. I thought the finish was rather strange (mine didn't look quite as bad, admittedly) and I kind of expected a short note in the package to explain fitting and pairing etc. The blue light not working, not knowing if pressing the button was required (or if indeed that even worked) and then coming back an hour later to find it won’t connect, it has all left me feeling somewhat frustrated! I am sure it will all come right in the end :)

Sorry, but yours looks like it has been dragged round the workshop floor @christos_geo and while I don’t want to sound negative . . . let me say, I was a bit surprised at the appearance. I thought the finish was rather strange (mine didn't look quite as bad, admittedly) and I kind of expected a short note in the package to explain fitting and pairing etc. The blue light not working, not knowing if pressing the button was required (or if indeed that even worked) and then coming back an hour later to find it won’t connect, it has all left me feeling somewhat frustrated! I am sure it will all come right in the end
Haha, it looks much worse in person I can tell you ! Anyway, as long as it works I guess it's well hidden enough that I can ignore it (or not).

So is there actually meant to be a blue flashing light? Hope your connectivity gets sorted :/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MildredM said:

Nope!

Its all a bit odd. Strange design choice in general with the kind of interface, size of the dongle, lack of securing screws etc. I assume its a serial connector because its going into the Gicar and when those were designed that was cutting edge!

It did make me laugh when I looked at the quality of the fit and finish of the dongle and it said "made in Britain". I'm not sure I would advertise that fact based on the quality of the product. 

Edited by mctrials23
  • Like 3

Nope!
Its all a bit odd. Strange design choice in general with the kind of interface, size of the dongle, lack of securing screws etc. I assume its a serial connector because its going into the Gicar and when those were designed that was cutting edge!
It did make me laugh when I looked at the quality of the fit and finish of the dongle and it said "made in Britain". I'm not sure I would advertise that fact based on the quality of the product. 
The "made in Britain" did make me chuckle :)

Uninstalled, reinstalled . . . Except it won’t install at all this time!! 

2 hours ago, christos_geo said:

Just installed mine too, must say however, the finish is pretty shoddy :(
Took a good few minutes of retrying to get it to connect, don't know if holding what I assume is the reset button for a few seconds was what did it in the end. There was definitely no blinking light as suggested by the app.
Now it's connected the response is instant which will be fun. I did notice though that you can't adjust offset on the app so I checked on the PI module before closing things up and it was down at -1.9. I guess I must have mistakenly adjusted that one day while trying to fumble about with mirrors and bendy wrists. We've concluded that it needs to be left at -1.0 right?
e11abf10457b5d2e72bb638c8b222d36.jpgc02ae9e99e6fac014809d57b1741b743.jpg

That doesn't look right. 

Fair enough the finishing is not great but yours actually looks like it's been tossed around the factory a bit 

LR, ZM

This doesn't look great does it?

Any one article I that I can read to understand the benefits of the app (and the R in general?)  Thanks!

Machine: Londinium L1 (2012-2016)

Grinder: Titus EK43S

Beans: Typically; Machina Espresso, Baristocracy or Goldbox.

Instagram: andrewrellim

3 hours ago, Fez said:

That doesn't look right. 

Fair enough the finishing is not great but yours actually looks like it's been tossed around the factory a bit 

Apologies @christos_geo I pulled mine out of the packet and it actually looks pretty much the same as yours. Had been too busy earlier to actually inspect it

LR, ZM