Coffee Forums banner

Smell of burning plastic Alex Duetto2

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Rollercoaster 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
Today I felt a smell of burning plastic off the coffee machine, unscrewed the top panel of Alex Duetto 2 and found that the electronic part (is it a relay?) is slightly burned in appearance. Question: is it worth replacing it in the near future - or wait for it to break down and then mend it?
Thanks!

Font Motor vehicle Material property Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive lighting Hood Rectangle Vehicle door Wood

Font Gas Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Gas Electrical wiring Audio equipment Machine Auto part

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is the brains of the espresso machine. It is where the fill level probes, pump, solenoids etc are connected.

It looks like it has a fairly serious issue. I also note evidence of a possible leak on top of the steam boiler and at the hot water valve.

I would advise against using the machine until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent service engineer.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is the brains of the espresso machine. It is where the fill level probes, pump, solenoids etc are connected.

It looks like it has a fairly serious issue. I also note evidence of a possible leak on top of the steam boiler and at the hot water valve.

I would advise against using the machine until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent service engineer.
Thanks, we stopped using the machine. Any idea of a reasonably priced service company in Western country? I suppose, they are on hold until the lock-down has been lifted? Thanks!

#6 ·
I wouldn't be too worried about that Gicar - my perfectly good Duetto II also has a discoloured label on the top... probably caused by long term heat (mine was used for 10yrs and was on for 8hrs a day at least)

Mine doesn't look quite as bad as yours - but I'd use a "Mk I nose" on it and see if it does indeed smell of anything burning, but the problem could well be elsewhere.

0282c690c0a09e444d72befca81d3736.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a plastic burning smell from one of the plastic covers on wire connections burning when the connection got wet. In my case the solenoid under the group got splashed with water. Have a look around at all connections and look out for melting insulation on wires, also check for signs of leaks like scale, water marks and rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.