LSOL May - Curve Roasters [Margate]

I'm loving this one. Had a couple of great brews in the December and shared a chemex with the Mrs today. 

Really nice, I'm getting the florals and a hint of something soft citrus... There's definitely something in the background that I can't put my finger on though, maybe vanilla or something? 

• Like 3

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reveal time..... Well done @jaffro for pinning the tail on the donkey with a correct guess of Rwanda Producer: Justin Musabyiama & small-holder producers working with Mahembe Washing sta

OK - Roasting and posting tomorrow morning

Looking for W/S 8th June to get it roasted. Renewals are on the verge of being sent by @Daren and I will open the guest list swiftly after that.

11 hours ago, christos_geo said:

Turns out I needed more coffee before the end of the day so decided to try with aergrind. I tried to match grind by feel and sight to the ek43s setting I used and followed exactly same timing and pour regime mentioned above. Aergrind has 12 positions per full turn so I set mine to 1.10 (1 full turn+ 10 on dial). V60 drained at 2:24 which was surprisingly close. Taste was alright, same underlying sweetness and notes matched but had a pronounced mouth drying bitterness as an aftertaste bit perfectly drinkable.
Tds was 1.38 vs the 1.34 of that last delicious brew which I much prefer, so to answer your question I'd say 1.11 - 1.12 (or 2 full turns) on aergrind would yield the same delicious brew.
Let us know how you get on!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for this :)

So... Just made one, followed the same recipe and set the Feld at 1:11. Dry bed at 2:34.

It was a bit of a rock and roll first attempt at this method if I'm honest... Poured in 10ml too much at end as I was pouring quite aggressively and think I poured straight down the middle a little too long but despite this and a bit of an uneven bed at the end (left it too long to stir...) it was still very tasty!

I will try again tomorrow, hopefully with less mistakes!

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Really enjoying this one!

Lovely espresso and very smooth.

For anyone interested, my recipe is as follows:

18g > 34g in 30sec @ 92°

Big thanks to the organisers!! 😊

• Like 2

ECM Synchronika, Kafatek Monolith Flat, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCDv3 Distribution Tool, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy, Aeropress, Aergrind, notNeutral Cups

Loving this through a kalita. Finding is very soluble with quicker pours even more tasty and fruity!

Currently 16g - 250g around 2:30!

• Like 1

Getting good espresso with this.  15 to 35 in 18 to 20s, 93 degrees.

• Like 2

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

This has bean my favourite LSOL. Great espresso 15g- 33g in 35 secs and balanced Clever dripper but sorry absolutely no idea about their origin.
Definitely going to buy from
Curve again. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dan1502 said:

Getting good espresso with this.  15 to 35 in 18 to 20s, 93 degrees.

I have a feeling im going to have to give this another go!

• Like 2

Cupped it the other day, same delicious flavours as the v60 but on cooling for a period of 10 min it just tasted very much Kenyan. Still delicate jasminy tea like with hint of fragrant fruit.
I'm therefore changing my Ethiopian guess to Kenyan. Started these on espresso today. Had to go quite fine but extracts and rates good anywhere between 40g to 54g out from an 18g shot. I'm at 4.5 PI pressure and shot takes about 22sec. Bit spritzy though which never usually happens..
I think the roast itself is one of the best we've had by a long shot. Amazing job Curve, will be revisiting you soon.

LR - EK43S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Just used this for a James hoffman style ice coffee in the sun. It's awesome. Super clean and refreshing taste. 

I've been a fan of curve in the past but haven't had their beans in a long time. I'll be back for more I'm sure! 

Not sure on origin... I agree with African, think washed, but cant choose a country! Kenya or Ethiopia are definitely possible... So many countries clustered in the same region though. I'm gonna take a stab at Rwanda, but I really don't know. 

• Like 1

Agree re the Ice coffee, enjoying it myself that way at the moment.

Will do the reveal next week and @Daren will be sorting out renewals for the Q 

• Like 1

Mr LSOL - October offering here -> Clicky <-

3 hours ago, jaffro said:

Just used this for a James hoffman style ice coffee in the sun. It's awesome. Super clean and refreshing taste. 

I've been a fan of curve in the past but haven't had their beans in a long time. I'll be back for more I'm sure! 

Not sure on origin... I agree with African, think washed, but cant choose a country! Kenya or Ethiopia are definitely possible... So many countries clustered in the same region though. I'm gonna take a stab at Rwanda, but I really don't know. 

Oh I love these will defo be giving that a go!

Totally forgot to hazard a guess... I'm going to go with a washed Ethiopian, minds me of a washed Ana Sora I had earlier this year.

• Like 2

Espresso 15-33g as suggest at 6 bar pressure. Was really singing, smooth fruity. Really very soluble finding longer shot times don't work and have to much zing!

Maybe kenyan? Not sure if its natural or washed though.

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed a change in flavour as filter over the past couple days? I feel mine has become very citrussy by v60. Everything pour wise kept consistent and TDS was within +/-1. Made 3 v60s today to confirm. Water and temp were all the same and beans kept in airscape.
Not sour in any way, just much brighter. I'm surprised, can perceived acidity increase with rest?

Big thanks to those who shared recipes. A short shot at 18.5 > 32 at 92 degs gave me a lovely stone fruit almost-winey espresso. I don't think it's a natural. I'm going to go with Panama. 

• Like 1

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Big thanks to those who shared recipes. A short shot at 18.5 > 32 at 92 degs gave me a lovely stone fruit almost-winey espresso. I don't think it's a natural. I'm going to go with Panama. 
I did think of wine at some point, but more those orange natural wines, or like a saison beer!
Haven't really tried short shot, just long and fast. 18->42 to 48 20s.

• Like 1

Will do the reveal in a couple of days, we have had a correct guess though!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tough to identify..... Impossible not to enjoy.

I have found these beans to be extremely forgiving both as a V60 and espresso. I agree that these benefit from a shorter extraction time and they don't appear to need a high temperature.

Espresso 

19g into 40 over 25-30 seconds 

Silky smooth with a dark berry then lemony hit. Sweet finish and lingering aftertaste.

V60

Smooth and summery, berry and demerara. Could drink it until it came out of my eyes.

Personally I enjoy both versions of these equally. Totally mood dependent. Both ways utterly beautiful.

It's too forgiving to be Kenyan. Maybe Ethiopian but I'm going to go for Central American and washed. The only guess so far in that region has been Panama so I will go along with that as we know a correct punt has been made. I may have gone Nicaragua otherwise.

Great find by the team. Cheers

• Like 1

Not going to attempt to guess the origin as that is achieved already, but I will echo everyone else's thoughts that this has bean a delight and very enjoyable despite only getting into it in the last few days, one advantage of starting late is there's plenty of guidance as to what is required to pull something decent from the get go and it has fallen into line pretty damn quick.

As always many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg  @Daren and to Curve for sorting this for us all to enjoy and I am looking forward to seeing whats coming up next...so had better go and pour another to free up some space :coffee:

• Like 2

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Hey @Hairy_Hogg 

I'm jumping the gun a bit but do you have a rough idea when the June offering will be roasted? I'm good for about 10 days so if it's in the first few days of June I'm good but if not I'll grab of something. 

Cheers dude!

2 hours ago, Jon_Foster said:

Hey @Hairy_Hogg 

I'm jumping the gun a bit but do you have a rough idea when the June offering will be roasted? I'm good for about 10 days so if it's in the first few days of June I'm good but if not I'll grab of something. 

Cheers dude!

Looking for W/S 8th June to get it roasted.

Renewals are on the verge of being sent by @Daren and I will open the guest list swiftly after that.

• Like 5

Reveal time.....

Well done @jaffro for pinning the tail on the donkey with a correct guess of Rwanda

Producer: Justin Musabyiama & small-holder producers working with Mahembe
Washing station: Mahembe

Region: Nyamasheke
Altitude: around 1900 masl

Varietal: Red bourbon
Process: Washed

Importer: Nordic Approach

Cup profile: Silky, red apple, peach, raisins, brown sugar

Mahembe is a privately owned washing station located in the Nyamasheke region in Western Rwanda, near Lake Kivu. The owner of Mahembe is Justin Musabyiama who also grows his own coffee. Justin grew up in the local area and, after moving away for some time, decided to come back home and invest in the community by building a wet mill on his father’s coffee plantation. The lots processed at Mahembe are composed of cherries hat Justin produces on his 8 hectare farm as well as cherries bought from a number of smallholder farmers in the local community.

Farms in Rwanda are generally very small family owned operations. The family care for the plants, pick the cherries themselves and sell them to a local washing station for processing. Farmer families usually also grow other crops for their own consumption. 

Competition for cherry can be pretty tough, farmers can deliver to whichever washing station they want. Maintaining a good supply of cherry is dependent on the relationships Justin has with farmers, and being able to offer competitive pricing. His roots and history in this community help him strengthen these relationships.

Justin and the staff at Mahembe are well trained in managing the delivery of cherry from the farmers and follow very strict routines for cherry reception and sorting. Cherry delivered by farmers must be sorted by the farmers themselves, and if this is not done sufficiently the Mahembe staff will do further sorting.

Once initial sorting is complete, the coffee will be floated in tank and floaters separated for lower quality coffee. The good cherries are then pulped and the coffee in parchment is fermented for 10-12 hours before being washed in channels and slowly dried on raised beds for up to 21days. During drying the parchment is covered by shade net during the hottest hours of the day, at night, and anytime it rains.

This lot stood out for us on the cupping table this year for its incredible sweetness and fruit driven character reminding us of crisp apples and floral stone fruits. It is also a great example of the incredible team work, dedication and organisation that goes into producing a coffee of such outstanding quality.

• Like 10

Wohoo! 

Very nearly changed my guess as well... 

Fantastic coffee from Curve this month, really enjoying it still 😊 it's even impressed my partner, who is almost exclusively a tea drinker. Great job! 

• Like 2

This is really good.  I didn't guess as I'd taken s look at the website and they only had two for sale and it sermed highly likely this is the Rwandan.

• Like 1

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero