IGNORED

Steaming with an old Classic

Hi, I'm using a borrowed Gaggia Classic at the moment and not getting on that well with the steam wand. I took the plastic duberry off because its mission in life seemed to be to create lots of very dry foam at the top of the jug while leaving the rest exactly as it came out of the fridge. Trouble is, this leaves me with more of a stump than an actual wand, and I can't seem to get a roll going. Has anyone mastered frothing with the stump, or should I give the plastic thingy another try? Alternatively, is it possible to fit a more standard wand to this machine? I think it's about 15 years old, don't know if the spec has changed in that time.

Edit: I've just seen a pre-modified Rancilio Silvia steam wand on Amazon that apparently fits the pre-2015 Classic. The seller is Edesia Express. Has anyone tried it out?

Edited by Bayliss

The silvia steam wand mod is one of the most popular on the Gaggia Classics and for good reason, it works really well with it.

There is a v3 steam wand that allows for more of a pivot, but it also involves extra steps to be fitted onto the Classic.

• Thanks 1

I got the steam wand from a different seller (was a while ago) but think they are still going I think invoice is with manual I’ll try to remember to check tomorrow 

Edited by HDAV
  • Thanks 1

Silvia V1/2 is a direct swap and much better. Five minute job to change it out and around £15-20 for the part. V3 is significantly better again but a lot more work to fit properly

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, HDAV said:

I got the steam wand from a different seller (was a while ago) but think they are still going I think invoice is with manual I’ll try to remember to check tomorrow 

Thanks. I've ordered the one from Edesia Express so fingers crossed.

22 hours ago, Skizz said:

Silvia V1/2 is a direct swap and much better. Five minute job to change it out and around £15-20 for the part. V3 is significantly better again but a lot more work to fit properly

Interesting.... what’s involved I find myself with somewhat more time on my hands.....what is involved in fitting a V3 wand and does it stop the awful squealing noise the V1/2 makes?

found the fitting guide here 

t

Edited by HDAV

Makes it easier to stop the noise but thats largely down to technique. The main benefits are easier cleaning and being able to position the wand at the optimum angle for effective steaming. You can even ghostride it with some practice. I’ll happily say that the V3 is significantly better than the V1/2 which, is also far superior to the original wand. 

You can either fit it directly to the existing steam take-off pipe as per the thread you linked to, which necessitates bending the copper pipe or, you can buy the Ferrari Espresso kit which comes with all the mounting hardware and connections needed but requires - at a minimum - drilling two additional holes in the case next to the existing steam wand exit hole.

If you want full articulation of the ball joint then you also need to enlarge that exit hole with a die grinder. If you dont enlarge the hole you’ll find that the wand wont articulate sufficiently to allow anything bigger then a 12oz jug to go under it without tilting excessively. Most people who choose not to enlarge the hole end up having to raise the machine by 15-20mm in order to get a larger jug under the wand.

Theres a description of how I did mine here: 

Edited by Skizz