IGNORED

Extract roasters 30% off 1kg bags

This arrived today. I never go for espresso roasts but thought seeing this was a Columbian single origin at 30% off thought I'd give it a shot. Probably darkest roast I've had over the past couple years. Roasted on the 30th of April but pulled a couple shots today 18-37 22-24s with around 7s PI. Standard starting recipe for LR + ek combo. Taste is definitely not pleasant. Ashy, bold, drying.
Anyone that's tried these before mind sharing pointers? Might be a case of them just being a bit too fresh.
Having previously had Ethiopian and Kenyan filter roasts from Extract I know that they are an excellent roaster, so no dig at them74c3f2563bc58392e35e419ed0fbf653.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm also struggling to get it to taste as good as I'd hoped, I'm using 18g in 36g out ~31s on my gaggia classic. It's somehow fairly bitter and fairly sour simultaneously, though that may be my novice taste buds deceiving me.

This seems to be a pretty dark roast (compared to what I'm used to with speciality beans) so I will adjust accordingly. I might try grinding slightly coarser to reduce the brew time for the same in:out ratio. This should reduce the extraction a little and take an edge off the bitter harshness. 

These may be way too fresh yet for espresso given they roasted on the 30th @christos_geo ( @IceQubed are yours the same roast date?) possibly. I tend to leave any Espresso from Extract at least 10 days and more often 14 before starting in on them and yet to start mine (so if yours are both same roast date, might be worth a cupping or v60 / similar to rule out any batch issues and if there is, drop them a line, they've been most helpful in the past)

Hope you get it sorted 

John

Yes, mine were roasted on the 30th. I thought 6 days rest was normally a pretty good period for beans on the darker side like these? I guess you're probably right though.

I expect the harshness is more due to my inexperience rather than a bad batch, I think Extract coffee know more about properly roasted coffee than I do!

These may be way too fresh yet for espresso given they roasted on the 30th @christos_geo ( @IceQubed are yours the same roast date?) possibly. I tend to leave any Espresso from Extract at least 10 days and more often 14 before starting in on them and yet to start mine (so if yours are both same roast date, might be worth a cupping or v60 / similar to rule out any batch issues and if there is, drop them a line, they've been most helpful in the past)
Hope you get it sorted 
John
Thanks John, I definitely think it's the freshness that's giving the unbalanced taste. You can also tell when making a flat white that the nicely textured microfoam will end up looking like a bubble bath seconds after pouring from the volatile espresso :)
Unfortunately I've run out of coffee which is why I had to make a start on these.
However, I took LR pi pressure down to 1.8 and amazingly it tastes much much better!

I had a few flat whites and an espresso with these beans when I was at extract for a course last year, and it was absolutely delicious, so much so that I bought a kg straight away.

Not once could I replicate the flavour

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I got a kilo of Extract Original Espresso, received promptly on 1st May, 7 days after roast date. I too found this coffee overly roasted and bitter initially, but took it as my own fault for choosing the one described as such (their standard / traditional type espresso). Now that it's had a bit longer to rest, I'm managing to get some very good ristrettos from it (16g in / 23g out), with a slight sourness from deliberate under-extraction blended with the strong bitterness, to give a kind of spicy note. Looking forward to getting through these now, and an absolute bargain.IMG_20200501_103907260.thumb.jpg.9624539160682480fa6fbcb51c412a10.jpg1253089342_IMG_20200506_0641024182.thumb.jpg.ea1f9b90e61a0abd4629ad3e43299804.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Are there any Extract promo codes floating around this month?
There's 30% off 1kg of dumerso.... Ethiopian so no doubt fruity

30% OFF WITH DUMERSO30

GEDEO | ETHIOPIA | WASHED

IN THE CUP: MIMOSA, BLACKCURRANT JAM & CUSTARD CREAMS

9 hours ago, jj-x-ray said:

30% OFF WITH DUMERSO30 emoji1098.png

Have you tried it? How dark is the roast?

10 hours ago, jj-x-ray said:

30% OFF WITH DUMERSO30 emoji1098.png

thought I would give this a try. I had a kg of dr strange love last month and enjoyed that.

can't go too far wrong with jam and custard creams!

I do fancy trying the Betty espresso too