Evening all,

So I’ve tried my best at searching the forum for this query to no avail - probably due to my own skills.

Does anyone on the forum own or previously owned a Lyn Weber EG-1 or know of a UK coffee shop using one?

Thanks in advance.

E1212B05-EEE8-407E-BDAE-7D4A195690DD.jpeg

Sage Barista Express | French Press | IG: Apprentice_HomeBarista 

guess you'll find some users at home-barista site

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

8 hours ago, Stanic said:

guess you'll find some users at home-barista site

Thanks I’ll have a look. I found some older comments - seems very little recent activity surrounding this.

I think Eric C knows something about this.

• Like 2

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I am interested in this grinder as well. Not enough information for it though.

• Like 1

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

@THR_Crema    Yes, I used to own a LynWeber EG-1, what do you want to know?

• Like 1

KvdW Speedster ; Versalab M3/4

Posted (edited)

How do you compare it to a hybrid burrs grinder like Versalab?

Edited by L&R

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Posted (edited)

In my opinion, with my limited tastebuds I would say that the way the Versalab works is not that far different to a flat burr grinder like the LynWeber EG-1 or any other flat burr grinder for that matter.

As far as I see it, the conical part of the burrs acts like a pre-breaker and then feeds the result to the flats, in other words, this increases the theoretical size of the flat burrs thus making the Versalab more comparable with a larger flat burr grinder.

When I bought my Versalab M3, September 2007, 13 years ago it was the only grinder designed for single dosing and came with the bonus of having a relatively small footprint.

When the LynWeber EG-1 came out i bought one of the very first in 2016.

It is a great design, really well constructed and very easy to use. As far as taste differences between LynWeber EG-1 and the Versalab M3, to my uncultured tastebuds there was very little difference between the two.

For a supertaster the differences may be like night and day.

Edited by EricC
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, EricC said:

In my opinion, with my limited tastebuds I would say that the way the Versalab works is not that far different to a flat burr grinder like the LynWeber EG-1 or any other flat burr grinder for that matter.

As far as I see it, the conical part of the burrs acts like a pre-breaker and then feeds the result to the flats, in other words, this increases the theoretical size of the flat burrs thus making the Versalab more comparable with a larger flat burr grinder.

When I bought my Versalab M3, September 2007, 13 years ago it was the only grinder designed for single dosing and came with the bonus of having a relatively small footprint.

When the LynWeber EG-1 came out i bought one of the very first in 2016.

It is a great design, really well constructed and very easy to use. As far as taste differences between LynWeber EG-1 and the Versalab M3, to my uncultured tastebuds there was very little difference between the two.

For a supertaster the differences may be like night and day.

Thanks for the information Eric 👍

Was there a particular reason you sold it or just fancied something new?

I’ll have a look at the versa lab some more then to compare. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers,

No particular reason, just the usual, I thought that i would like to try something new.

Yes, there are quite a few single dosing grinders out there now, all vying for top spot.

Good luck with your search.

Things that I like about my EG1 v2:

• single dosing 
  • motor mounted above the burrs, no build up of grounds
  • quick opening of the burr chamber for cleaning
  • variable speed
  • magnetically mounted burrs
  • 5 micron adjustment increments
  • no RDT
  • had a charred piece of plastic in my coffee once and the EG1 stopped, opened the burr gap and dropped everything
  • just a short list
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Strietman CT1, DE1PRO, EG-1 v2, HG-1, Kinu M47, Baratza Vario brew, Lido E, RB 58.5, Reneka Micro Sieve, VST

20 minutes ago, Bolta said:

Things that I like about my EG1 v2:

• single dosing 
  • motor mounted above the burrs, no build up of grounds
  • quick opening of the burr chamber for cleaning
  • variable speed
  • magnetically mounted burrs
  • 5 micron adjustment increments
  • no RDT
  • had a charred piece of plastic in my coffee once and the EG1 stopped, opened the burr gap and dropped everything
  • just a short list

Many thanks 🙏 can we have a photo of your setup please? 

I use ikea spice glass with my EG-1, thats my set up :popcorn:

ikea-lww.jpg.4d765e4b5467747a2b2054b793d8a8da.jpg.b4d140603e7af8a4a17c0177b7c3f0dd.jpg