IGNORED

Where to get Lodge dutch oven that's not Amazon (or alternative suggestions)

I already bake bread on a cordierite baking stone with pretty good results but I fancy jumping on the sourdough bandwagon and trying with a dutch oven. As above, would really rather not use Amazon but I can't see the Lodge dutch oven anywhere else. Maybe my google skills are just lacking.

Any alternative suggestions welcome also. Would quite like one that can go on a fire etc as well.

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loving my Netherton pan, getting great results now and it looks/handles great.     

I should think the main thing is steam, yep, but the size of the dutch oven was also considered important by some folk (Forkish bangs on about it in his book Flour Water Salt Yeast), and in my experie

Posted Images

I have a John Lewis one and it works well. 

The advantage of the lodge is that you can use it upside down so it's easy to get the loaf in and you can score it once it's in there.

If you have the money get a challenger cast iron :)

8 minutes ago, grumble said:

Thanks for that, is it an enamelled one you have from John Lewis?

Challenger thingy looks good but with delivery and customs etc it's getting a little silly!

Yes. I believe it was about £55

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, grumble said:

Getting increasingly tempted by the challenger - I'm usually of the 'buy it nice or buy it twice' mindset. Hmmm......

One day I will definitely buy a challenger 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, grumble said:

I'm surprised there's no European resellers. Seems a ridiculous thing to ship individually from the US. 

To go to the other extreme, this should do the job for now shouldn't it?

https://www.rinkit.com/products/argon-tableware-cast-iron-casserole-dish-5-6-litres-grey

I believe Sainsbury's also do a cheaper alternative.

Otherwise maybe something like this:

https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/shop/eggcessories/enamelled-cast-iron-dutch-oven-4-litre?gclid=CjwKCAjwssD0BRBIEiwA-JP5rHCRyUqqjVEt2IPc76DY8EeSqMeKZdJD7p-A2dfXYcgIEm1XPe6cNBoC0o8QAvD_BwE

53 minutes ago, grumble said:

Bought the Big Green Egg one, seems like it will be just about big enough for 700g ish loaves which is usually what I make. Thanks all.

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

I got mine from wayfair but they dont seem to stock anymore. Friend has had good success with a le creuset style copy used upside down with a ramekin or similar to sit the lid handle in so you have a flattish surface, layer of baking paper under bread and good to go

I use le creusets which are great, but I’ve seen much cheaper equivalents at HomeSense which look as though they’d be just as good. 

I love the look of the Challenger and it looks like it would make loading / scoring a lot easier, but I don’t need more single-purpose stuff in the kitchen and you can use most Dutch ovens for lots of other things.

25 minutes ago, grumble said:

Still not dispatched yet :(

Wondering if I should cancel and get one of these - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/cooking-baking-dome-and-tray

Netherton Foundry stuff is beautiful, tactile and likely to last a lifetime. Got a couple of their pans. I’m not sure their dome would fit our oven . . . Maybe just!

• Like 1