IGNORED

Super Jolly advice

I've been recommended a Super Jolly as a good grinder to start with. They seem readily available, relatively easy to adjust and can be single dosed.

With all that in mind, what should I be looking out for with this when buying second hand?

How do I know I am getting a good deal?

What is a good deal price?

I found a local ebay listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazzer-Super-Jolly-Espresso-Coffee-Grinder/124123566565?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338464578&toolid=11200&customid=SI_mazzer super jolly&pageci=db449232-a443-44ed-b960-0772b88bb2be

Is this good value?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Duathdaert said:

I've been recommended a Super Jolly as a good grinder to start with. They seem readily available, relatively easy to adjust and can be single dosed.

With all that in mind, what should I be looking out for with this when buying second hand?

How do I know I am getting a good deal?

What is a good deal price?

I found a local ebay listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazzer-Super-Jolly-Espresso-Coffee-Grinder/124123566565?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338464578&toolid=11200&customid=SI_mazzer super jolly&pageci=db449232-a443-44ed-b960-0772b88bb2be

Is this good value?

Welcome to the forum.

The SJ is a workhorse; not many things (usually) can go wrong with it, as it was built to serve the needs of a cafe. That being said, without access to the grinder (buying online), there's nothing to really check.

It looks to be in good condition, and comes with a small hopper (the big one is obnoxious). Scratches are irrelevant. The only thing I find a bit inconvenient is that it is a "timer" version.

If you do end up buying it, or any other SJ, the following is a list of things to (easily) check in order of importance:

1. Take of the top collar and upper burr, grab the bottom burr carrier and try to move it laterally (not rotate). If it "gives", then the bearings are gone....

2. Look for any obvious signs of wiring modification; it is a straight forward device electrically, but if the wiring (harness) doesn't look as old as the machine, then inquire why it has been changed.

3. Work the doser switch back and forth (as you would when dispensing coffee). It should feel easy to move (no sticking, and no scratching noises), and return to its resting position if you let it go with a "clank", which means the spring is alive and well.

4. finally, take the lid of the doser and check the condition of the internals; if the look scratched, discolored or anything like that, then it probably is not from a 2017 model.

In any case, like I said, if something breaks in a SJ, it is usually the on-off switch! Can't comment on the price, but I can say I paid 300 euros for mine and it is also scratched, but never missed a bit.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.
The SJ is a workhorse; not many things (usually) can go wrong with it, as it was built to serve the needs of a cafe. That being said, without access to the grinder (buying online), there's nothing to really check.
It looks to be in good condition, and comes with a small hopper (the big one is obnoxious). Scratches are irrelevant. The only thing I find a bit inconvenient is that it is a "timer" version.
If you do end up buying it, or any other SJ, the following is a list of things to (easily) check in order of importance:
1. Take of the top collar and upper burr, grab the bottom burr carrier and try to move it laterally (not rotate). If it "gives", then the bearings are gone....
2. Look for any obvious signs of wiring modification; it is a straight forward device electrically, but if the wiring (harness) doesn't look as old as the machine, then inquire why it has been changed.
3. Work the doser switch back and forth (as you would when dispensing coffee). It should feel easy to move (no sticking, and no scratching noises), and return to its resting position if you let it go with a "clank", which means the spring is alive and well.
4. finally, take the lid of the doser and check the condition of the internals; if the look scratched, discolored or anything like that, then it probably is not from a 2017 model.

In any case, like I said, if something breaks in a SJ, it is usually the on-off switch! Can't comment on the price, but I can say I paid 300 euros for mine and it is also scratched, but never missed a bit.
Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it. What's the issue with pre 2017 models?

If you are the sort that likes tinkering or has some mechanical skills then you might be better off looking for cheaper and replacing any parts yourself. At the end of any refurb you should have a known quantity and the design of the SJ is such that it will last years in a home environment. Over the years a number of modifications have been tried to make these better suited to home use. With the exception of burrs non Mazzer parts are usually fine to use (bearings etc). These have been around for years so a few slight design variations.... Take your pick on aesthetics no issues on design just older = cheaper.  

Great grinders but some have had a very hard life in a cafes so I would want to go and see the grinder in the flesh before I purchased it. That is not possible at the moment of course so it is a tough one to call.

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!

• 3 weeks later...